« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:38:56 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Joker
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 12:13:30 pm »
I'm wondering if it'll be worth trying to check out with the super-duper crowds on the first weekend. maybe I'll have to wait for a weekday matinee.  Hmm.

I'm guessing there are no mid-credits/end-credits teasers?  This is just a one-and-done project?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 09:19:39 am »

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 05:05:32 pm »
Just saw this one yesterday and it was dark, moody, had several really good lines, excellent acting, tight screenplay and an unexpected ending.

Put this version of Joker equal to Heath Ledger -that says a lot about Phoenix.

This movie has strong messaging about our society, culpability from society, uncivil people who create chaos, everyday monsters who create more destruction and more.  One of the best films to come out of the comic book genre.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 02:07:21 am »
I thought it was good, but overrated, as well as being a bit self-important and pretentious. Phoenix gave a great performance, but I put him at the bottom of my list of live-action Jokers.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Because his Arthur is sort of the Joker as we know him, and sort of not. And all the others, including Cesar Romero and the guy from Gotham, felt more like the Joker than Phoenix did. This could've easily been a film about a mentally disturbed person who violent lashes out without being the Joker. I saw Grace Randolph's You Tube spoiler review where she that claimed that director Todd Phillips put the Joker label on this for branding, to sell it. Those are my words, not hers. She loved the film. I didn't feel like combing through Phillips interviews to see the exact statement, but it was something I felt when watching the film. Like this story wasn't necessarily a Joker story, but that stuff was incidental to watching a man's slide into the pit.

I'm not saying the film is bad, but it is slow burning and it's not a film I feel a need to re-watch. The film definitely has something to say and I give Phillips points for not just making a mindless film, though I'm not quite sure ultimately what point was he trying to make, or if he was just expressing societal anxiety and a growing rage, and that's it.

When it comes to how he handled the DC Comics aspects of the film I was iffy. I really hated the idea that Thomas Wayne was Arthur's dad, though I was relieved that they left it a bit ambiguous there. I was expecting Arthur to be the one who murdered the Waynes, and how it was done felt random. I don't think it even needed to be seen. They just could've shown the guy following them into the alley and been more subtle about it. I also wasn't the biggest fan of Thomas Wayne, and even Alfred, being jerks. I can accept that from Thomas Wayne more than Alfred. Paul Dini's Batman comic run presented a darker take on both Thomas and Martha, and Dr. Simon Hurt, if I recall correctly, in Grant Morrison's run, pretended to be Thomas Wayne. I think the Flashpoint Batman (Thomas Wayne) is a villain now in Tom King's run, but I haven't gotten to that part. I also felt the police detectives were a bit too ineffective and that could've been handled differently. I was wishing one of them would've been from the comics, like the corrupt officer Flass from Batman: Year One. Which leads to what I found to be very few vocal/acknowledged nods to the comics. In a way I get it, but as a comic book movie fan I like those nuggets. It would've been neat if Dr. Hurt or Hugo Strange had been one of the mental health professionals mentioned or seen in the film.

I'm downing the film quite a bit, but there are things I did like. As I said before, Phoenix did great,
even putting himself through the physical changes. The supporting cast was pretty good. Some scenes that stand out for me was the subway scene where he commits murder for the first time, but the 'best' kill scene was in the apartment. It was brutal and then suspenseful and a bit funny, all the things the Joker should be. I thought his late night show appearance and murder weren't bad, but it felt like Arthur was teetering, like he was too nervous and hadn't fully embraced it just yet, until right before he shoots Murray. I was very glad that the romance in the film was all in Arthur's head. I wasn't expecting that because I've grown used to Hollywood pairing hot black women with lame white guys and so I was rolling my eyes during a lot of those scenes, but the truthful reveal was quite chilling.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:51:38 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 07:30:20 pm »