Author Topic: LIFE, LIBERTY...GETTIN AWAY WITH S_____!  (Read 888 times)

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9124
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 05:42:16 am »
Thursday, 5th September 2019
DOJ declines charges against FBI agent who shot kidnapping victim from Conroe in botched 2018 rescue
by St. John Barned-Smith

The FBI agent who shot and killed a kidnapping victim he was trying to rescue last year from a Houston house will not face federal charges, Department of Justice officials said this week.

The news follows the Aug. 19 sentencing to life in prison of Nicholas Chase Cunningham, 44, one of the four people charged in the Jan. 24, 2018 kidnapping of Ulises Valladares, who died the following day after being shot by an FBI agent trying to rescue him.

“After a careful and thorough review of all of the available evidence in the matter involving the shooting of Ulises Valladares, on January 25, 2018, in Houston, TX, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas declined to proceed with federal criminal charges against FBI personnel,” wrote Daryl Fields, spokesman for the agency in an email.

“We conducted an approximate 11-month-long, detailed and careful investigation.”

It’s not clear whether the FBI took any internal actions against the agent, but the bureau almost never disciplines its agents after they shoot people.

A 2013 New York Times investigation found that between 1993 to early 2011, every one of the 150 shootings was deemed justified.

Valladares was shot the day after two armed kidnappers burst into his Conroe home, bound his 12-year-old son with duct tape, abducted Ulises, and demanded money they said his brother owed them.

The attackers falsely claimed they were linked to a Mexican drug cartel and demanded a ransom from Valladares’ brother, authorities said at the time.

Investigators later explained they believed that was a scare tactic designed to intimidate Valladares’ brother.

As FBI agents tried to rescue Valladares the next morning from the Trinity Gardens home where he was being held, one of the would-be rescuers shot him.

Authorities later explained that the agent was using his M-4 submachine gun to break a window at the back of the home, and that Valladares — who was bound and gagged inside — grabbed the gun.

Thinking a kidnapper was attempting to wrest the gun from him, the agent fired two shots, killing Valladares, authorities said.

Civil rights attorney Randall Kallinen — who is representing Valladares’ relatives in a lawsuit against the agent who shot him — said Wednesday the slain man’s autopsy contradicts authorities’ initial description of what happened in the rescue.

“The medical examiner found no gunpowder on the wound area, which means it was not a close range shot,” said Kallinen.

“That refutes the concept Valladares had his hands on the weapon, as was earlier reported.”

Kallinen declined a request from the Chronicle to provide a copy of the autopsy.

He criticized the FBI’s secrecy surrounding the case.

“Valladares has not received justice,” he said.

“The agent’s name has never even been revealed, some 590 days after the shooting.”

Both the FBI and the Houston Police Department investigated the shooting.

In the aftermath of Valladares’ death, authorities arrested three people.

Cunningham and Jimmy Tony Sanchez, 40, were charged with aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery.

Sophia Perez Heath, 36, was charged with aggravated kidnapping.

In July, authorities also charged Cunningham’s wife, Delia Gualdina Velasquez, 48, with one count of aggravated kidnapping.

Cunningham was sentenced in August to life in prison on aggravated robbery charges.

The case drew national attention after Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said in October that his investigators believed the agent’s claims after the shooting were “not supported” by their findings.

On Wednesday, Acevedo said he stood by his investigators’ findings.

“Our special investigations unit did its job — which was to complete a thorough investigation — and submitted that investigation to prosecutors,” he said.

“Now it’s up to the DA to decide how to proceeed.”

The shooting was the first in Harris County by an FBI agent in 13 years, following a joint FBI and Houston police “MS-13” initiative in 2005 in which agents shot four suspects during an anti-gang raid in northeast Houston, killing two suspects and wounding two others.

Acevedo’s actions in October weren’t the first time local law enforcement clashed with their federal counterparts over the investigation into Valladares’ death.

In April of 2018, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg publicly queried U.S. Attorney Ryan Patrick over whether his staff would review the shooting, after confusion and delays over whether his office would exercise its jurisdiction in reviewing the death case.

Patrick’s office subsequently recused itself, and the case was sent to the the neighboring Western District of Texas and the Department of Justice’s Office of Inspector General.

With the Western District’s decision not to pursue criminal charges, the case now returns to Harris County prosecutors — nearly two years after the shooting — for review and possible state charges.

In an emailed statement, Ogg said that her prosecutors initially deferred to the DOJ on the shooting because he is an FBI agent.

“Now that the U.S. Attorney’s Office has declined to file federal charges, the District Attorney’s Office has an independent obligation to present this matter to a local grand jury to determine if state criminal charges are warranted,” she said.

“Our Civil Rights Division is reviewing the case.”

Would You Like To Know More?|2

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9124
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 03:47:15 am »
Wednesday, 11th September 2019
Student Jailed On Sex Assault Charge Freed After Judge Deems Him ‘High Achieving’
by Alanna Vagianos

A University of Florida senior jailed on a charge of sexually assaulting a fellow student was released last week after a judge deemed him a “high-achieving student.”

Ian Milaski, a 21-year-old resident hall assistant, was arrested on Aug. 29, after a female student called university police and accused Milaski of forcibly kissing her, pinning her onto his bed and attempting to put his fingers inside her days earlier.

Milaski was jailed on charges of battery and false imprisonment, with bond set at $125,000.

A judge later ordered him released on his own recognizance, agreeing with an emergency defense motion that described Milaski as a “high-achieving student,” according to local outlet WCJB.

The bail-reduction motion said Milaski is “slated to graduated in May 2020″ with a double major, and “personally performed more than 210 hours of community service in the last two years.”

Milaski’s motion also argued that he needed to help his parents prepare for Hurricane Dorian and tend to his double major as a senior about to graduate, according to The Alligator, the UF student newspaper.

The woman, identified only as a UF sophomore, told officers that Milaski called her drunkenly and said he needed water on the night of Aug. 25, according to a police report.

She said she walked Milaski back to his room, but he kept trying to make out with her despite her protests.

After she continued to refuse his advances, he reportedly grabbed her by the wrists and said, “I want to sleep with you.”

When the woman tried to leave Milaski’s room, he grabbed her, picked her off the floor and pinned her on his bed, where he attempted to “finger her” through her underwear, according to the police report, obtained by NBC-2.

The young woman told police she eventually escaped and returned to her dorm room. Later that night, she awoke in her bed and found Milaski trying to lie next to her.

A friend of the woman who had been sleeping in the dorm room woke up from the commotion and yelled at Milaski to leave, according to the report.

Milaski’s bail motion explained the incident as a “misunderstanding among platonic friends fueled by alcohol,” the Alligator reported.

The judge, whose name isn’t mentioned in local news reports about the case, ordered Milaski to have no contact with the victim and banned him from returning to Sarasota and Alachua counties, where the university is located, except for court appointments or events related to school, including classes.

Milaski also was ordered to wear a GPS monitor.

No date has been set for his next court appearance.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9124
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 07:49:04 am »
Wednesday, 11 September 2019
Judge in Brock Turner Case Hired as High School Tennis Coach
by Gonzalo Rojas, Michael Bott & Kristofer Noceda

The controversial judge in the Brock Turner case is now a high school tennis coach in San Jose, California.

Lynbrook High School officials on Tuesday confirmed Aaron Persky was hired as a tennis coach at the campus for this school year.

Persky was recalled by Santa Clara County voters in 2018 for his handling of the Turner case.

Many people were enraged when Turner, an ex-Stanford University swimmer, was sentenced to six months in jail in 2016 after his conviction for felony sexual assault.

Persky, who imposed the sentence, was recalled by voters in 2018, the first judge to be recalled in California since 1932.

Meanwhile, the woman sexually assaulted by Turner revealed her identity last week by announcing an upcoming memoir,

"Know My Name."

Chanel Miller, known for years only as "Emily Doe," is sharing her story in the memoir set to be released on Sept. 24, 2019

"Late last week, it was brought to our attention that the coach of Lynbrook High School’s Junior Varsity Girls Tennis team, Mr. Michael Persky, was previously in the news in connection with this prior job as a Santa Clara County Superior Court judge.

Mr. Persky is in his first year as an athletic coach in our District.

He applied for the open coaching position over the summer and successfully completed all of the District’s hiring requirements before starting as a coach, including a fingerprint background check.

He was a highly qualified applicant, having attended several tennis coaching clinics for youth and holds a high rating from the United States Tennis Association.

In response to concerns from some members of our community, we held a meeting with the parents of both the JV and Varsity Girls Tennis teams on September 9 to provide parents with background on the situation.

Our focus remains on ensuring that our students have the best possible educational experience - both academically and athletically.

As this is an ongoing personnel matter, we are unable to comment further at this time."

Would You Like To Know More?