Author Topic: Jason Mitchell  (Read 666 times)

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Jason Mitchell
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:24:28 pm »
Jason Mitchell Dropped From 'The Chi' and Netflix Film Amid Misconduct Claims

6:40 PM PDT 5/20/2019 by Kim Masters

A source with knowledge of the Showtime series says Tiffany Boone, who played the 'Straight Outta Compton' star's girlfriend, was among several actresses on the drama who had issues with the actor.

In the wake of multiple allegations of misconduct, Straight Outta Compton star Jason Mitchell has been terminated by his agent and manager and dropped from Showtime’s The Chi and an upcoming Netflix film, Desperados.

Showtime, Netflix and Fox 21, which produces The Chi, declined to comment.

A source with knowledge of the Showtime series says Tiffany Boone, who played Mitchell’s girlfriend on The Chi, was among several actresses on the series who had issues with Mitchell. She made repeated complaints of sexual harassment and allegedly felt so unsafe with her co-star that at times her fiance, Dear White People actor Marque Richardson, came to set when she shot scenes with him. Boone declined to comment.

The source also says Boone ultimately informed producers at Fox 21 that she could no longer work with Mitchell. Initially, he was retained while she was released at her request to pursue other projects. Other actresses on the series also were said to have had problems with Mitchell. It’s unclear what finally led the studio to act.

Mitchell had not yet started filming Desperados, a comedy set in Mexico, when he was replaced in recent weeks by Lamorne Morris (New Girl). A source close to the project, which Lionsgate’s Good Universe is producing for Netflix, says the producers received “specific information which was investigated immediately and thoroughly and dealt with as quickly as possible.”

Netflix referred queries to Good Universe, which declined to comment. Sources said Mitchell’s co-stars on the film — including actresses Nasim Pedrad and Anna Camp — had complaints about Mitchell.

Mitchell, 32, was considered a rising star, having won accolades for his performance as rapper Eazy-E in 2015’s Straight Outta Compton. He also appeared in Mudbound and Detroit, and was a series regular on the Lena Waithe-created The Chi. Waithe did not respond to a request for comment.

UTA, which dropped Mitchell several weeks ago, declined to comment. A source with knowledge of the situation says the agency “made a very quick decision” to drop the actor based on multiple allegations of misconduct. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jason-mitchell-dropped-chi-netflix-film-misconduct-claims-1212454

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIzVCwhHcWc

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Jason Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 10:12:08 am »
I'm disappointed in him.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 12:55:28 pm »
I'm disappointed in him.

I think we all are.

And yet Michael Weatherly has had similar allegations leveled at him and still has a job and support.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:00:51 pm by JRCarter »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 01:15:26 pm »
I heard an interview of him earlier this year on NPR and came to this conclusion:

This is a story of a dude who seriously lucked out when he was given the role of Easy-E in 'Straight Outta Compton'.  One day he was working at the plant shelling seafood for a living Down South. I forget which state, Mississippi, or Louisiana or Alabama.   Someone suggested that he audition directly from Skype and he did.  Went right back to work.

The next few days, the production team was so impressed by his 'look' (he does look like Easy) that they quickly snatched him right out of that seafood factory and made him a instant star.

He was talking about how difficult it was for him to adjust to the increase in income and notoriety;  everyone knew who he was (except white folks) no matter where he went.

What he needed was guidance to help him navigate the pitfalls of celebrity success.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:12:24 pm by Battle »

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 02:39:27 pm »
For this situation, I don't think people should rush to judgment. Whenever these stories come out in the press the presumption of guilt is always on the accused and  even if it's later proven false or there's not enough proof, that suspicion remains. I'm not saying Mitchell is innocent here. I'm saying I don't know. And I think we should give the man the benefit of the doubt until we learn otherwise definitively.

As it stands, it certainly looks bad for him right now, with accusations coming from two different productions. And whatever happens, his career-if he has one left in Hollywood-will be tainted.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 04:07:33 pm »
According to my sources...it's bad.
Really bad.
He's a predator.
SEVERAL instances of bad behavior...

I was rooting for the guy.
Big fan.
I wanted to work with him.

Now...i'm just disappointed.
He lost everything.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 06:57:39 pm »
Okay, you're speaking as someone who has some information from people who are close to this, and I think that's a different situation than our standard reaction to just assume the people accused of misconduct are automatically guilty of said misconduct. If this is true it is very unfortunate. He was rising. I liked his work in both Compton and Superfly.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 01:38:53 pm »
Okay, you're speaking as someone who has some information from people who are close to this, and I think that's a different situation than our standard reaction to just assume the people accused of misconduct are automatically guilty of said misconduct. If this is true it is very unfortunate. He was rising. I liked his work in both Compton and Superfly.

And Keanu.
He was funny in that, too!
But yeah...it's most unfortunate.
He lost everything.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 12:18:44 pm »
Needless to say, watching "The Chi" has gotten awkward. Now I'm wondering how they're gonna write his character off and how they'll move forward without him.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 02:18:16 pm »
Needless to say, watching "The Chi" has gotten awkward. Now I'm wondering how they're gonna write his character off and how they'll move forward without him.

Exactly! I mean... does he suffer the same fate as his brother? He momma couldn't take that.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 03:25:31 pm »

Exactly! I mean... does he suffer the same fate as his brother? He momma couldn't take that.

Or do they pull an Aunt Viv and recast?

Online Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 10:57:12 am »
Lena Waithe speaks to the Breakfast Club radio show--

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Be Kind to Someone Today.