Author Topic: STAR WARS franchise  (Read 41222 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS franchise
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2020, 12:53:51 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2020, 03:36:40 am »
http://www.cbr.com/colin-trevorrow-star-wars-ix-script-surfaced/

http://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a30517986/star-wars-9-original-script-colin-trevorrow-leak/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBMH&utm_medium=social-media

http://io9.gizmodo.com/colin-trevorrows-alleged-star-wars-episode-ix-ending-fe-1841005936

http://news.avclub.com/turns-out-colin-trevorrows-version-of-star-wars-episod-1841002112

http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/star-wars-episode-9-original-colin-trevorrow-script-leaked-220742366.html

http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/colin-trevorrow-alleged-star-wars-102353427.html

I listened to Rob Burnett on You Tube going over the Duel of the Fates script. Unfortunately he doesn't do a straight discussion of the script so you might have to skip around if you don't want to hear his musings about other movies, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ShS32kJclU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m62H56LMB-U

From what I've heard about this script, I think there were good things and bad things. The title "Duel of the Fates" is great. I also like how this story feels more organic and true to the sequel characters. It makes their final film more for them, and finishing their stories, than bringing back in the Emperor. However, I think the attempts to make Ren the big bad for the finale just don't work, despite a lot of effort in the story to build up him (or rebuild him) because he had already been too weakened, especially in Episode 7. Despite that, Ren having vampiric Force powers is cool. Somewhere along in the script, Ren seemingly becomes a Sith, and I wish that was better explained. I also wish we had gotten an explanation about who or what Snoke really was. I really liked the idea of Torr Valem though. Not sure what Mortis-outside of a nod to Star Wars lore/Clone Wars-had to do with this story. If Torr Valem had been The Son from the Mortis arc that would've made more sense. I also liked that the script seemed to use the Knights of Ren better.

I was cool with the idea of just a Palpatine hologram, from a Sith holocron. When I heard he was coming back I thought for a second that was the route they might go, but then I thought if they are making such a big deal about the Emperor's return that they wouldn't just have him as a hologram.

I thought the script made better use of Rose, and I'm iffy on Finn here (it was okay, and similar to TROS; didn't appear to be no stumbling, bumbling, and screaming Rey's name; however there was no Jannah character either). I wasn't a fan of the Dameron-Rey romantic tension. Also, iffy on how this script handled Lando. Some things I liked, others I didn't. I was fine with how he was used in TROS. I also was alright with how Hux was depicted here, better than in TROS and definitely than The Last Jedi. I did like how the script opened and how the heroes stole a Star Destroyer. Chewie in an X-wing would've been fun to see. Also like that this script had R2 in it more than in TROS, and we got a Threepio and R2 classic team-up.

I liked the idea of some of the heroes going to Coruscant and also them using another hologram of Leia in a nod to her plea to Obi-Wan in A New Hope. I did like the idea of Force Ghost Luke talking to both Rey and Ren. This would've made good on Luke's promise to Ben on Crait. Also it would've had Mark Hamill in the film a lot more than we got in TROS.

Overall, if we had gotten Duel of the Fates I think it would've been a solid end to an otherwise underwhelming sequel trilogy. It would've provided enough payoff (within the story) and felt more like an organic follow-on to The Last Jedi. I do feel like Duel of the Fates would've also had issues with being overstuffed though. This script also had the problem of having to make up for Episodes 7 & 8, just like TROS did.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:31:24 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2020, 10:29:45 pm »
Man, reading all this second guessing of the movie really trips me out.  How can these people who dumped so much hate on THE LAST JEDI then turn around and use TLJ as a weapon to attack RISE OF THE SKYWALKER? 

I've seen the movie 2 and half times and enjoy it.  My son too.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2020, 07:04:29 am »
Man, reading all this second guessing of the movie really trips me out.  How can these people who dumped so much hate on THE LAST JEDI then turn around and use TLJ as a weapon to attack RISE OF THE SKYWALKER? 

I've seen the movie 2 and half times and enjoy it.  My son too.

I saw the movie three times myself. This movie is far from perfect, and I think the Duel of the Fates script might have made for a better last movie in the sequel trilogy, but I still found Episode IX the most enjoyable of the sequel films. It's the only one I wouldn't mind looking at multiple times.

I have noticed that some opposed to Disney Star Wars in general are just downing the movie because they are done with Disney Star Wars, and specifically Kathleen Kennedy running Lucasfilm. They want her gone and don't seem to be willing to give Episode IX much of a break. They don't want Episode IX to be a win for Kennedy and Kennedy's Lucasfilm. That being said, some of these same folks also like The Mandalorian.

It gets tricky. Some hate on Episode VIII and the arguable TLJ retcons in Episode IX have not brought them back. And from what I gather some of these folks do have legit criticisms about Episode IX not working for them on a film making, acting, or storytelling levels. Another thing I've noticed is that some reviewers and fans who praised Episode VIII are crapping on Episode IX because they didn't get the film they wanted, which is something they wagged their finger about for fans who were disappointed with Episode VIII.

Abrams in his attempt to please everyone with Episode IX didn't please that many people. That's why the narrative is being spun now that even though Episode IX has made a billion dollars, it is a disappointment. Episode VIII broke Star Wars in terms of it being a kind of unifying pop cultural force. The dissension started with the prequels, but Episode VII was almost loved by everyone (I was not in that number, but I digress), Rogue One made a billion, and Disney was rolling. But Episode VIII left fans divided and Lucasfilm's, and the Hollywood media's response to some fan dissatisfaction threw kerosene on the fire. That played a role in Solo bombing, and I think it factored into Lucasfilm bringing back the Emperor in an attempt to get decrying fans back on board. I've seen You Tube stories about how the toys aren't selling anymore. Galaxy's Edge had a rough start.

So even though Disney has put out five films, with four making a billion dollars and one box office bomb, there is a sense that the franchise is rudderless and has lost some magic.

I suspected that Disney was going to kill this golden goose when I first heard they planned to put out a movie every year. That's way too many Star Wars movies. Too many movies and no larger vision for them or the franchise as a whole hurt them. Some of the political, or perceived political agendas in the new Star Wars also triggered backlash. Kennedy's attempts to grow the fanbase IMO were too often ham-fisted and not focused enough on making new and compelling characters that people could identify with and root for and cared to see their journeys. IMO, she and Disney thought that the brand itself was the selling point and not the characters.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2020, 05:42:34 am »
Novelist Alan Dean Foster (original Star Wars novelization, Splinter in a Mind's Eye, The Approaching Storm, and The Force Awakens novelization) has also written put his Episode IX story on the internet. He put it out on May 1 2018. It's called "Resurgence".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanyjLmB1Bs

I learned about this story from this You Tube.

http://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/frameset.htm

Overall I thought Duel of the Fates story was stronger. But Resurgence does a very good job in redeeming Finn and also gives us the bad ass Luke Skywalker that I think many fans, myself included, wanted to see in the sequels. It also does better by Snoke than either TROS or Duel of the Fates did. However the idea of an army of cloned Snokes, or that Snoke's motivation was revenge against Obi-Wan and his students was weak. It dissed Palpatine IMO that he was being used by Snoke to further that goal. So I wasn't a fan of that. Also, we don't get an explanation for who/what Snoke really is. There's no Palpatine, not even as a hologram, in this story.

I was okay with how the story handled Rose, though Duel of the Fates made better use of her than either TROS or Resurgence. Rose's sacrifice here felt full circle from her actions in The Last Jedi. This story also did alright by Hux, but not as good as DOTF. I think Resurgence didn't do great when it came to Ren. He was more useless here than in either TROS or DOTF. DOTF made a great attempt to make Ren a real threat, whereas in Resurgence he took a backseat to Snoke and wasn't much of a challenge to Rey. Foster's ideas for Rey were left-field. In his story, Rey was a cyborg, and that was the explanation for how she learned things so quickly, or knew so much. She had had a deformed skull as a child and her family had gotten her operated on before they eventually sold her. So her parents were 'nobodies' just like in TLJ. She's not a Kenobi, Skywalker, or Palpatine. Ren calling Rey a monster because of her metal skull/implant made little sense, or that Rey would be troubled by it. I did think the scene where Threepio calls her beautiful as a result of it was interesting, but Foster doesn't do anything with it. There are no romances here for any of the characters.

This story kept the main heroes apart-which is something I was glad TROS didn't do-but similar to DOTF this film brought back Coruscant and made a revolt against the First Order there important to the story. The First Order was defeated too easily, just like in DOTF, and to a lesser extent in TROS. There was no Lando unfortunately. Also, no Han. The story opens with Leia's funeral so Foster addresses the character's exit right away.

I wasn't a big fan of the dialogue here, but as the story got to the end I thought Luke's words to Rey felt right. I think Luke was given a more satisfying ending than what we got in TLJ.

Overall, I liked DOTF story idea the best, and then TROS. But there were some neat things about Resurgence. If Foster had went over it another time or two I think it could be really good. As it stands, he wrote it keeping in mind TLJ so it felt, as did DOTF, more organic storytelling wise than TROS as the next chapter in the story after Episode VIII.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:22:27 am by Emperorjones »