Author Topic: Black and Blue  (Read 370 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Black and Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:47:49 am »
I'll go check it out.  Looks intriguing.  That's not Rick Ross glimpsed at one point, is it?  ;)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 10:39:16 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 11:42:16 am »
Checked this out today. I enjoyed it and recommend it. I thought Naomie Harris was quite good as a rookie police officer who saw too much when it came to some corrupt officers,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
led by Frank Grillo's Malone
. A good deal of the film is about the chase as crooked police hunt for Harris's character, who captured the incriminating evidence on her body camera. Tyrese, Mike Colter, and Black Lightning's Nafessa Williams are also in the cast. Overall, I thought this was a well-made, at times fast paced crime thriller.

Deon Taylor, who also did Traffik and this year's The Intruder, improves on the storytelling front with each film I've seen from him. Black & Blue was the most ambitious yet.
I didn't care so much for the ending,
but for the most of the film I was caught up in it. The film also explored the fraught relationship/interactions between police and the black community, with this film being set in New Orleans, so it had a topicality to it that took it out of just being a standard crime thriller.

About the weakest link for me here was Colter
who played a drug dealer. Just because he's a big, bald, muscled dark-skinned black man doesn't make him threatening. He came off like an evil Isaac Hayes, who actually did a better job playing a crime lord in Escape from New York. If they ever do the Isaac Hayes Story, Colter is who they should call. I just wasn't buying Colter as this fearsome kingpin but the actors who played members of his gang, including Nafessa Williams, I did buy. About Williams, I wasn't sure but I got a sense that her character and Harris's had been more than friends in their past, but the film didn't develop that. It also left a romantic relationship out for Tyrese and Harris, though the end could be read that they were at least closer and possibly romantically involved.

I also thought the soundtrack was pretty on point until
the Hollywood ending. That song as Harris was walking into the light, with the night over, didn't work for me. I did hear the music they used for Sicario 2's trailer, which is ominous and worked well for the scene they played it in for this film.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 12:04:09 pm »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile