Author Topic: BET's top 25 Dancers of all time  (Read 22960 times)

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
Re: BET's top 25 Dancers of all time
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 11:55:37 am »
i feel you on chris brown, true.  i didnt realize that he was incorporating all of those styles until this top 25 show.

very interesting.

he's a trailblazing trendsetter at a very young age although I can see what Catch22 is saying in regards to being new but..............his routines are ridiculous!  He's an example of the way it should be the next generation should always be better than the previous.  I'm still waiting for heads in hip hop to follow suit after KRS Rakim Chuck D and the likes cause alot of new heads is stinkin' the whole sh*t up
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 11:57:06 am »
I don't think many here are hating or debating on Chris Brown's talent level...I think it's more along the lines of...he's too new...he hasn't been doing it long enough to merit such a lofty position.  I mean, ahead of Savion Glover and Gregory Hines??  Maybe this should have been the Top 25 Most Commercial/Pop Musical Dancers of all time.  It's like making a movie called The Last Negro On Earth, starring Tom Hanks!

OK...that last line had nothing to do with the topic...but that's one of my favorite Paul Mooney quotes!
:D

How about the Mexican starring Brad Pitt (yeah I know it was a gun, but so what) or the Last Samarai starring Tom Cruise
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:02:07 pm by True Father 7 »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 12:04:52 pm »
i feel you on chris brown, true.  i didnt realize that he was incorporating all of those styles until this top 25 show.

very interesting.

he's a trailblazing trendsetter at a very young age although I can see what Catch22 is saying in regards to being new but..............his routines are ridiculous!  He's an example of the way it should be the next generation should always be better than the previous.  I'm still waiting for heads in hip hop to follow suit after KRS Rakim Chuck D and the likes cause alot of new heads is stinkin' the whole sh*t up

Now, on Hip Hop...we totally agree!!  I've seen Chris Brown dance and yeah...the young fella "be gettin' it"!  His choreographer/y is off the charts, I'd just like a performer to have 5 or 6 years or 3 or 4 hit albums under his belt before I anoint him and put him in the rarefied air he's in.  In this, the instant/digital generation, your flame can burn out as fast as it was lit.  I hope the young man has a long and storied career and when he does...I'll put him up with the Godfather of Soul and the Nicolas Brothers...IMHO, he just ain't ready yet.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 12:11:01 pm »

very interesting.

Now, on Hip Hop...we totally agree!!  I've seen Chris Brown dance and yeah...the young fella "be gettin' it"!  His choreographer/y is off the charts, I'd just like a performer to have 5 or 6 years or 3 or 4 hit albums under his belt before I anoint him and put him in the rarefied air he's in.  In this, the instant/digital generation, your flame can burn out as fast as it was lit.  I hope the young man has a long and storied career and when he does...I'll put him up with the Godfather of Soul and the Nicolas Brothers...IMHO, he just ain't ready yet.

I say being ready is what got him his record deal and notoriety.  In regards to your comment about 3 or 4 hit albums, how do you rank Biggie hip hop wise.  Now that was a cat that was mad overrated to me, your exact points being taken into account.  Had one album before he died and people calling him the greatest, please!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 12:28:05 pm »
Come on now, Father...let's be real...how many cats out there have gotten record deals and still weren't ready.  Having the deal means nothing in terms of his ascension to the TOP of the all-time dancing world.  As for your question...I like Biggie...was he the G.O.A.T?? Nope...not even close...he had a good flow and some great lyrics, but he doesn't have the body of work of a Rakim, a KRSOne, an LL, or Tupac.  I'm saying this...in order to be among the GREATEST in any endeavor you have to have some longevity. 

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 12:42:57 pm »
Come on now, Father...let's be real...how many cats out there have gotten record deals and still weren't ready.  Having the deal means nothing in terms of his ascension to the TOP of the all-time dancing world.  As for your question...I like Biggie...was he the G.O.A.T?? Nope...not even close...he had a good flow and some great lyrics, but he doesn't have the body of work of a Rakim, a KRSOne, an LL, or Tupac.  I'm saying this...in order to be among the GREATEST in any endeavor you have to have some longevity. 

Agree with your last line and yes alot are not ready when they get on but cats like Chris Brown and Alicia Keyes are the exception, PEACE

Jenn

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 03:33:42 pm »
I say being ready is what got him his record deal and notoriety.  In regards to your comment about 3 or 4 hit albums, how do you rank Biggie hip hop wise.  Now that was a cat that was mad overrated to me, your exact points being taken into account.  Had one album before he died and people calling him the greatest, please!

Hey now! There was "Ready to Die", and then there was...um...uh...damn, bruh! I guess it's because we've been listening to mixtapes and Junior M.A.F.I.A so long that it seems like his discography is long, but you're right!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 07:42:39 am »

Hey now! There was "Ready to Die", and then there was...um...uh...damn, bruh! I guess it's because we've been listening to mixtapes and Junior M.A.F.I.A so long that it seems like his discography is long, but you're right!

Come on now, it was two albums.  And "Life After Death" was a double CD. 
But you're still right.

On a related note, how many albums does it take to get consideration in the GOAT polls in the hip-hop era?  For instance, Eric B and Rakim got four.  (BTW, they're all available on Amazon for $7.97)
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 08:36:50 am »
Like I said earlier...I don't think anyone who didn't have staying power in their craft can be considered in GOAT discussions. The same discussions happen in sports...for example...Jim Brown = One of the G.O.A.T.  Terrell Davis = One of the greatest seasons of all time.  Is Terrell Davis in the same class as Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, OJ, Eric Dickerson...?  IMO, No...because he only lasted 5 seasons (and his O-Line employed some of the dirtiest blocking tactics in football!  But I digress...).  It does get kind of hairy when you're discussing people who died prematurely because then you're looking more closely at their potential greatness.  You start playing the "what if" game.  I don't want to seem like I'm hating on Chris Brown, because I'm not.  I love to see black folks do their thing, I'm just saying that when you put a list of the Greatest DANCERS of all time, his youth works against him.  Especially on a list that includes luminaries like the Nicholas Brothers, Alvin Ailey, Savion Glover, Gregory Hines, etc., etc., etc....This list isn't a greatest dancers of all time list, it's a greatest pop acts list sprinkled with some of the greatest dancers of all time.  I just took the title of the thing too literally and that's my fault. 

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 09:40:04 am »
Like I said earlier...I don't think anyone who didn't have staying power in their craft can be considered in GOAT discussions. The same discussions happen in sports...for example...Jim Brown = One of the G.O.A.T.  Terrell Davis = One of the greatest seasons of all time.  Is Terrell Davis in the same class as Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, OJ, Eric Dickerson...?  IMO, No...because he only lasted 5 seasons (and his O-Line employed some of the dirtiest blocking tactics in football!  But I digress...).  It does get kind of hairy when you're discussing people who died prematurely because then you're looking more closely at their potential greatness.  You start playing the "what if" game.  I don't want to seem like I'm hating on Chris Brown, because I'm not.  I love to see black folks do their thing, I'm just saying that when you put a list of the Greatest DANCERS of all time, his youth works against him.  Especially on a list that includes luminaries like the Nicholas Brothers, Alvin Ailey, Savion Glover, Gregory Hines, etc., etc., etc....This list isn't a greatest dancers of all time list, it's a greatest pop acts list sprinkled with some of the greatest dancers of all time.  I just took the title of the thing too literally and that's my fault. 

what about Ickey Woods?  lol

And Cuuuuuurrrrrtissssssssss...................Biggie died March 9th, one album was on the shelves before he passed.  Life After Death came out March 25th

PEACE

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22:52 am »
And Cuuuuuurrrrrtissssssssss...................Biggie died March 9th, one album was on the shelves before he passed.  Life After Death came out March 25th

PEACE
Ah, I see.  I'm sure you're right, TF7.  Your hip-hop knowledge is encyclopedic.  But isn't that kind of a technicality?  The album was clearly finished and ready to go.  It's not like those other posthumous albums that take whatever was left in the vault and finish them off for release.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 11:03:04 am »

PEACE

Yeah, I guess Ickey Woods should have made the Top 25 Dancers of All Time....he did create the Ickey Shuffle! LOL

Jenn

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 09:18:16 am »
On a related note, how many albums does it take to get consideration in the GOAT polls in the hip-hop era?  For instance, Eric B and Rakim got four.  (BTW, they're all available on Amazon for $7.97)

An absolute minimum of three.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 04:19:13 pm »

PEACE
Ah, I see.  I'm sure you're right, TF7.  Your hip-hop knowledge is encyclopedic.  But isn't that kind of a technicality?  The album was clearly finished and ready to go.  It's not like those other posthumous albums that take whatever was left in the vault and finish them off for release.

not a technicality fam, just the truth and hard facts.  You wouldn't believe how many changes could have been made in that timespan between his death and the release of the lp.  Some songs could have been pulled, better songs added with his input, different guest appearances he may have wanted and some could have been added after he passed, that's just a few.

PEACE

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 04:20:17 pm »

PEACE

Yeah, I guess Ickey Woods should have made the Top 25 Dancers of All Time....he did create the Ickey Shuffle! LOL

actually I was referring to football there fam

PEACE