Author Topic: Harriet Tubman Biopic Draws Controversy with Lead Actress Not ADOS  (Read 11966 times)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Tubman Biopic Draws Controversy with Lead Actress Not ADOS
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2019, 09:29:00 am »
Honestly no other group or race would allow a miscarriage of justice that is this propaganda filled Harriet film.  Kassi Lemmons should be ashamed to whitewash the horror of chattel slavery in any way and itís inexcusable when she directly belittles the heroic Harriet Tubman with her co signage on this project. 

All to appease Comcast who financed this mess?  They are actually seeking to destroy the legacy of Harriet Tubman by lessening the original Civil Rights Act of 1866 - how ironic.

So her producer openly stated recently she didnít want to make a slave movie or show the truth about how violent and terrifying it truly was - then why do a movie about Harriet Tubman- a true warrior?????

https://youtu.be/aHTW8GlaGCg

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2019, 11:05:57 am »
Honestly no other group or race would allow a miscarriage of justice that is this propaganda filled Harriet film.  Kassi Lemmons should be ashamed to whitewash the horror of chattel slavery in any way and itís inexcusable when she directly belittles the heroic Harriet Tubman with her co signage on this project. 

All to appease Comcast who financed this mess?  They are actually seeking to destroy the legacy of Harriet Tubman by lessening the original Civil Rights Act of 1866 - how ironic.

So her producer openly stated recently she didnít want to make a slave movie or show the truth about how violent and terrifying it truly was - then why do a movie about Harriet Tubman- a true warrior?????

https://youtu.be/aHTW8GlaGCg

Exactly. Though I think they are willing to sell out Harriet Tubman for more than just the Comcast deal. This is plucking Tubman from race and slavery to remake her into a acceptable feminist/intersectional symbol. History is being rewrote to fit the vogue intersectional narrative. I call Erivo's character Theirriet, because she's not the real Harriet.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:11:10 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2020, 10:46:40 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2020, 04:26:30 am »
http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kasi-lemmons-black-representation-hollywood-julia-roberts-harriet-tubman-160014197.html

This story keeps coming up in the news and I don't know why. I mean, the attempt to foist this version of Harriet Tubman on us was a middling success. It wasn't a box office failure by any means, but it wasn't a film as widely embraced as I think Hollywood was expecting it to be. I'm skeptical of this Julia Roberts story and felt it was just put out there to create false outrage and drive black people and our 'allies' to the theaters to support the Harriet film.

Harriet also didn't do that well awards season and wasn't the film that got Cynthia Ervio her EGOT or even unanimous acclaim among us; she got that mostly from Hollywood, but not the black American masses. I wonder how she will attempt to get the Academy Award next, or if Hollywood will move on from her to someone else to another favorite. Even the Hollywood favorite Issa Rae's The Photograph isn't heating up the box office either. So there seems to be some issue with Hollywood putting out widely accepted black celebrities these days that they didn't have in the past. And I have to wonder if some of that is because of the focus now on non-American blacks/immigrant/first generation immigrant blacks who don't have that connection to black audiences here and don't, or refuse, to cultivate a relationship, or just assume a one-sided one based on skin color and the downplaying of ethnic/cultural differences.