Author Topic: Underwater  (Read 400 times)

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 05:52:20 pm »
I liked this film perhaps more than I thought I would or should have.

It had a nice budget, bigger than I thought, and also the cast wasn't bad, including the lead Kristen Stewart. The underwater suits looked cool and
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the creatures were neat looking
. All and all, this was a very well made Alien 'rip-off' film that was better than 2017's Life, which was another movie inspired by Alien.

The main things that irked me about the film mostly had to do with the characters. Whereas Stewart was fine in the lead role, and Deadpool's T.J. Miller brought the comic relief (which mostly didn't work for me, but at least he kept things lively),
I didn't like they of course killed the black guy-played by Mamoudou Athie- first (and he willingly sacrificed himself so that Stewart's character could live. It wasn't like he really knew Stewart's character before the incident that brought them together. Stewart's character also was romantically involved with a black male, which we come to find out had died, so black men didn't do well in this movie at all, and there was just a black woman in one photo (assuming the wife of one of the doomed crewmen), so there were no black women at all in this film).

While this cast wasn't that bad (with Vincent Cassel's captain having some presence in an underwritten role), some of them, including Miller could be annoying.
The most annoying was played by Iron Fist's Jessica Henwick. She's so cool as Colleen Wing, but in Underwater she was too nervous about everything (it reminded me of how they made Linda Park's Hoshi a scaredy cat on Star Trek: Enterprise). I also didn't care for her love interest, John Gallagher. His character was pretty basic, at times he seemed to know things, but not as the film went on, so there wasn't much that made this character stand out except he really liked Henwick's character. I mean, why couldn't the black guy play that role? Gallagher's character of course survives, though he has to be helped by both Stewart and Henwick. One saving grace for the black sacrifice is that Stewart's character later does the same thing for Henwick and Gallagher, so it made the first sacrifice seem more important.

The creatures were cool. It wasn't explained if they were aliens or from Earth. I liked how they could swallow people almost whole. And then the movie had a larger beast who commanded the smaller ones, which to me, was a sign that 20th Century Fox put some money into this film. The ending leaves it open for them to do more, despite suggesting that Stewart's character killed herself in a final act to stop the king beast and the other beasties from killing Henwick and Gallagher's characters. Henwick and Gallagher survived, and the company they work for will keep drilling undersea, from the headlines that ran in the closing credits.

After writing this yesterday, found out the budget was only $50 million. They did a good job making it look more expensive than the film actually was.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 04:37:37 am by Emperorjones »

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile