Author Topic: Trial date set for former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson  (Read 2617 times)

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
Trial date set for former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson
« on: April 12, 2007, 01:28:27 pm »
Trial date set for former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson 

MESA, Ariz. (AP) -- Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson appeared in court Thursday and learned he will go on trial Aug. 20 on charges of drug possession and driving under the influence of drugs.

Tyson was fresh out of a California rehabilitation facility and said very little during the five-minute proceeding.

"Yes, ma'am" were his only words, uttered after Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens asked if he agreed to the trial date, which was pushed back 30 days at his attorneys' request.

Tyson did not speak outside the courtroom, where reporters peppered him with questions and followed him to a Cadillac Escalade.

"We're very pleased with Mike's progress in treatment," said Richard Schonfeld, one of Tyson's lawyers. "He's 72 days sober. We're proud of him."

ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson was arrested Dec. 29 in Scottsdale. A resident of the wealthy Phoenix suburb of Paradise Valley, the 40-year-old was pulled over after leaving a nightclub. An officer found bags of cocaine in his back pocket and another in a pack of cigarettes in his car, according to court records.

Tyson pleaded not guilty on Jan. 22 in Maricopa County Superior Court to felony drug possession and paraphernalia possession counts and two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence of drugs.

County Attorney Andrew Thomas has said Tyson has run out of second chances, and prosecutors will pursue prison time. If convicted on all four charges, Tyson could be imprisoned as long as 7 1/2 years.

Tyson's next pretrial hearing is set for May 24, but he will be allowed to appear by telephone because his lawyers don't want to interrupt his treatment, Schonfeld said.

Stephens pushed Tyson's trial date back by a month to August because his attorneys said they hadn't seen all the state's evidence in the case.

Tyson was convicted of rape in Indiana in 1992 and pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault charges in Maryland in 1999.

Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in history at 20 in 1986, when he knocked out Trevor Berbick. Four years later, he was knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas. By 1997, Tyson's career hit a low point when he bit Evander Holyfield's ear during a fight.

Damn.  I kinda feel sorry for Mike.  Watching old footage it seemed Mike was a cool guy at his core, but bad business and personal choices took their toll and it's been downhill ever since.  He  needed a good friend (other than Cus D'Amato) to tell him once in awhile "Hey, Man, you're f*****g up" 

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Re: Trial date set for former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:04:46 pm »
man,if it's not one thing,it's another for Mike...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Could Mike Tyson get involved with UFC?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:27:47 pm »
Could Mike Tyson possibly get involved with the UFC, since he's apparently banned from regular boxing?  Assuming he gets through this latest trial without jail time..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
Re: Could Mike Tyson get involved with UFC?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:34:11 pm »
Could Mike Tyson possibly get involved with the UFC, since he's apparently banned from regular boxing?  Assuming he gets through this latest trial without jail time..

Mike Tyson is 41, even if he wasn't banned, he's still done as a boxer.  If he went MMA it's very possible that he'd get killed in the octagon
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 11:06:43 am »

Mike Tyson is 41, even if he wasn't banned, he's still done as a boxer.  If he went MMA it's very possible that he'd get killed in the octagon

Actually,Randy Couture seems to be doing alright at 43...and Mike could conceivably have the athletcism to make the switch and do well.Unfortunately,the moment somebody stands up to Mike,he might bite their ear lobe off,lol...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Trial date set for former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 11:08:56 am »
lock him up and throw away the key...he's nothing but trouble

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:55 am »

Actually,Randy Couture seems to be doing alright at 43...and Mike could conceivably have the athletcism to make the switch and do well.Unfortunately,the moment somebody stands up to Mike,he might bite their ear lobe off,lol...

Last I saw Tyson he couldn't hold his own against some sloppy Irish guy from Friday Night Fights.  He's not up for that
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:32:49 am »

To make the switch he'd have to be focused and train. Focus doesn't seem to be high on the list of Mike's priorities, however.

But WERE he able to pull off the training, think of the publicity UFC could reap. UFC'd be in an interesting position were Mike actually somehow able to win a fight on the championship level.

It could bring in a whole new level of money and public attention. The greater public thinks the only folks who watch UFC are guys named Billy-Bob who live in trailers.