Author Topic: Kamala Harris Drops Out Of The Presidential Race  (Read 76 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Kamala Harris Drops Out Of The Presidential Race
« on: December 03, 2019, 11:07:01 am »
I wonder how her supporters are going to explain what has been an abysmal failure of a campaign?

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Kamala Harris Drops Out Of The Presidential Race
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 05:57:14 am »
They are already crying & spinning.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Kamala Harris Drops Out Of The Presidential Race
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 06:24:35 am »
http://www.yahoo.com/news/many-americans-ready-black-woman-033427735.html

From this piece:

Senator Kamala Harris suspended her campaign on Tuesday, citing a lack of financial resources. “I’m not a billionaire,” she penned in a note to staffers. “I can’t fund my own campaign.” Harris has also recently attributed her lack of traction to her identity, explaining that many “aren’t ready” for her, given her race and gender.

She is right and wrong about both sentiments. While she is not a billionaire, neither are the leading Democratic candidates, none of whom are funding their own campaigns. She sits comfortably at a combined $6m net worth with her partner, compared to Bernie Sanders ($2m), Joe Biden ($9m), and Elizabeth Warren ($12m).

More:

Progressive people of color rejected the idea that Harris could secure their hearts and votes solely because she is a woman of color. Running for office while at the intersection of many identities is not salvific. The activist generation that “voted for President Obama twice and still got tear gassed” during protests for black freedom felt viscerally the failures of identity politics in the streets, courts, and classrooms.

No amount of “Black girl magic,” “Rooting for everybody black,” or “Trust Black women” hashtags could convince left leaning voters that Senator Harris could relate to the masses of women of color suffering in this country. Quite contrarily, Harris is criticized for expanding their suffering during her time as a prosecutor and state attorney general.

Also:

As a black woman and lawyer, I did not even see myself in Harris, but instead found myself in solidarity with the people who suffered while she was Attorney General of California and would suffer under her administration, had she won the election. While she was the little girl who rode the desegregated school buses that Biden threatened, I was the little homeless girl struggling with absenteeism whose parent Harris would have threatened.

And when a moderator asked her to reconcile her controversial record as a prosecutor at a town hall hosted by formerly incarcerated people, she responded, “There are a lot of people who have language now about it, but I would ask you to challenge them, ask them, what have they actually done to reform the criminal justice system? And then I’ll have more of a conversation with you about my record.” What Harris mastered in racial rhetoric and storytelling during debates, she lacked in substantive policy proposals for people of color.

The political system certainly expels candidates of color, but Senator Harris had much more than a resources problem.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile