Author Topic: My favorite comics of the new year so far!  (Read 718 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
My favorite comics of the new year so far!
« on: January 03, 2020, 03:20:47 pm »
With two weeks off, I'm reading a lot of comics and watching a lot of movies. 

I just read a stack of books that I really liked. 

The second issue of the Legion of Super Heroes is fantastic!  This promises to be the best version of the Legion EVER.  Bendis is really helping the DCU and making this mainly unreadable book fun, accessible and actually futuristic with new ideas is wonderful.  And the best cliffhanger ending I've seen in a while.

I"m also enjoying THE BATMAN'S GRAVE, which has plenty of witty dialogue from Warren Ellis and the always beautiful art from Bryan Hitch. 

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: THE GOLDEN CHILD was a fun one off from Frank Miller, who seems back on his game, and gorgeous art from Rafael Grampa. 

I've only read the middle issue of the three part SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN but I'm enjoying that so far.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: My favorite comics of the new year so far!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 12:39:12 pm »
With two weeks off, I'm reading a lot of comics and watching a lot of movies. 

I just read a stack of books that I really liked. 

The second issue of the Legion of Super Heroes is fantastic!  This promises to be the best version of the Legion EVER.  Bendis is really helping the DCU and making this mainly unreadable book fun, accessible and actually futuristic with new ideas is wonderful.  And the best cliffhanger ending I've seen in a while.

I"m also enjoying THE BATMAN'S GRAVE, which has plenty of witty dialogue from Warren Ellis and the always beautiful art from Bryan Hitch. 

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: THE GOLDEN CHILD was a fun one off from Frank Miller, who seems back on his game, and gorgeous art from Rafael Grampa. 

I've only read the middle issue of the three part SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN but I'm enjoying that so far.

Ellis usually delivers intriguing stories without getting super-gratuitous.  I wonder what guest heroes will show up along the way.

interesting.  My main memory of the Legion is stuff from the late 70s and early 80s.  I bought a few issues of the mid-90s reboot (if memory serves, there was a black female character with glasses. I don't know if she had powers or not.  Also there was XS, who we saw included on the Flash TV show recently).
I'm wondering how much, if any, of current fandom is up in arms about the rebooted racial backgrounds of the characters.  Is the new Lightning Lad a descendant of Jefferson Pierce?  Hmm.
Given the series' inherent conceit of being ostensibly about a "legion" of heroes, I wonder how the character spotlight will get rotated?  Also I'm wondering if the art team will have to periodically rotate to give the first arc's artist(s) a rest.
Since the book takes place in the 31st century now, I'm wondering how much will really change tech-wise.  I guess it was enough to speculate about the the Buck Rogers standard of the 25th century circa 1960, lol.. (Star Trek is only currently on what, the 26th?)

for this latest installment of the Dark Knight saga, this what, the third or fourth mini-series/special?  How much time has passed in-universe since the first story?

The previews of Superman vs the Klan have beautiful art.  Hope for good commercial results.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: My favorite comics of the new year so far!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 04:14:32 pm »
SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN - clever series with multiple 3 to 5 page stories making up each issue.  Fun and silly.

THE BATMAN'S GRAVE - continues to be damn good. The fight scenes are so well choreographed.

LEGION - Third issue, still a great book.

ACTION/SUPERMAN - Bendis is the best thing to happen to Superman in forever.  I don't remember the book being this well written in a while.  Faction's JIMMY OLSEN and Rucka's LOIS LANE are also good, making most of the Superman family of books really strong.

MARTIAN MANHUNTER - Finally came to an end;  I hope they pick it up.  Great series. 

DIAL H FOR HERO - Book got a little too complicated near the end.  But I always loved the H Dial.