Author Topic: (Epix) Godfather of Harlem  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
(Epix) Godfather of Harlem
« on: June 15, 2019, 01:53:57 pm »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: (Epix) Godfather of Harlem
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 12:40:15 am »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 03:36:50 pm »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 04:44:24 pm »
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful series.  :)

I've only managed to see just one episode, however, if all the other episodes are as impressive as 'Rent Strike Blues' directed by Mr. Ernest Dickerson, I'm all in!  :)

Vincent D' Onofrio (from 'Full Metal Jacket'...?  :-\) is a very convincing mobster; He seems to be taking cues from Robert DeNiro by changing his body weight to fill the role; he's putting on some pounds, man.

Every time Giancarlo Esposito speaks in a scene as Congressman Adam Clayton Powell, I just keep smilin'!  ;D
This is the character he was meant to be.

Forest Whitaker as Bumpy Johnson is just...   8)

...and there's Malcolm X, the honorable Elijah Mohammed, and more.

Y'all gotta see this beautiful looking period piece.  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:44:39 am by Battle »

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:53:59 am »
I'm in on this too, Battle.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 10:42:14 am »
I'm in on this too, Battle.

I'm so glad you like this show!  :)   

'The Godfather of Harlem' fills in the blanks that history books, documentary footage & the motion picture 'X' could not do:

The statement Malcolm X made to the press and raised suspicion among his peers.

I had this brief conversation with Lion over the phone that I never quite understood what that comment meant.

Now, I think I understand; taken completely out of context, the next generation may not understand if they don't know Malcolm X's story & greatly depends who tells it.

The way Malcolm's storyline is told in 'The Godfather of Harlem', had to include the criminal underworld as well as the political intrigue surrounding him in much detail; there is more emphasis on that interview and how severe & insensitive that comment may have seemed at that moment in time; A black man referring to a white man, the President of the United States, who was just brutally slain in front of the Nation,  a "chicken" through the press at the height of the Civil Rights Movement where people of color did not have the right to vote (in some districts) or enjoy any of the same freedoms their white counterparts enjoy; a comment that brought too much unwelcomed attention to the honorable Elijah Muhammed & Muslims in black communities did not want or need.

What the episode 'Chickens Come Home To Roost' did was ramp up the urgency of the moment where the Italian mobsters were putting extreme pressure on the African American tenants in Harlem, which in turn, motivated Congressman Powell & Bumpy Johnson to take action against the mobsters, then suddenly President John F. Kennedy is assassinated and then...   well, y'know how the events unfolded.  ;)

Next episode is the season finale; we all know what happens to these historical figures but curious to know how 'The Godfather of Harlem' will tell it.

Will the show end the series?

~or~

Will it continue to another season?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:25:32 pm by Battle »