Author Topic: NEW MAIN PAGE - EMPEROR trailer; and an overview of black film today  (Read 815 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Check out the new main page!  Cool new stuff! 

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: NEW MAIN PAGE - EMPEROR trailer; and an overview of black film today
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:36:43 am »
From the article:

A few great shots.  :)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:52:11 pm »
I'd love to see how this scene plays out.  :)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 12:18:01 pm »
Picked this film up from Walmart and finished it this morning. I thought it was quite good. I recommend it. The story was similar to Kasi Lemmon's Harriet, however I thought Emperor was a better film. About the only thing Harriet had over Emperor was more of a Hollywood gloss or polish, which I imagine was due to a bigger budget. But I thought Emperor was better written and better acted and the story felt more satisfying.

I also liked how Frederick Douglass was depicted in Emperor compared to in Harriet.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In Harriet I felt he was yet another male, especially a black male, that had to be checked by a black woman (in this case Harriet), whereas with Emperor, Green's rebuff of Douglass felt more germane to the subject at hand and more respectful than to imply (IMO) that Douglass-who supported women's rights-was another 'boys' club' sexist. I don't think Harriet necessarily said that or hammered on that, but that's the impression I got. Emperor put Green's disagreement with Douglass felt more honest to me.

I also liked the depiction of John Brown in this film.
I've long been a fan of James Cromwell so that was good casting. There was good casting throughout (Harriet also had some good casting, but not throughout because I didn't think Cynthia Erivo really inhabited the role and Jennifer Nettles also wasn't that good). I get the impression (like in the series Hell on Wheels) that Brown was a crazy fanatic and I liked that this movie didn't depict him that way.

I didn't know the film was PG-13 going into it and I think it would be a better film to put in high schools than Harriet, though Harriet depicted abuse against slaves even more than Emperor did, though Emperor had one scene with a more brutal depiction
(when Green is tortured)
than I saw through Harriet. Both films instead depicted the aftermath of brutalization.