Author Topic: COATES' RUN ENDS IN JUNE  (Read 5190 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
COATES' RUN ENDS IN JUNE
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:42:11 pm »
Is this a good thing? Who'll take his place? Will it be someone from the MCU, like Robert Cole who co-wrote the MCU BP?

Or...dare we even hope...a RH or CJP or RH+CJP collab? It'll be a "name" author, I think...which screws the in-house up and coming geniuses like Redjack, et al. Walker won't get a look unless he's cowriting.

Who would y'all like to see take over in July?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: COATES' RUN ENDS IN JUNE
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:14:46 pm »
Redjack. Marvel owes it to him for turning down such a opportunity to really establish how dangerous Wakanda is and how you don't mess with T'Challa and get away unscathed. Especially now that Coates started floundering so hard, they need a professional and who better then the guy who's BP cartoon was nominated and won awards?

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 06:41:56 pm »
Is this a good thing? Who'll take his place? Will it be someone from the MCU, like Robert Cole who co-wrote the MCU BP?

Or...dare we even hope...a RH or CJP or RH+CJP collab? It'll be a "name" author, I think...which screws the in-house up and coming geniuses like Redjack, et al. Walker won't get a look unless he's cowriting.

How could it be bad? Things can be worse, but they don't get better by keeping them the same.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 12:54:57 am »

How could it be bad? Things can be worse, but they don't get better by keeping them the same.

Agreed.

I've started reading Bryan Hill's Killmonger miniseries. I've also read some of his Wildstorm Michael Cray series and am reading his Batman & The Outsiders run. I don't like everything Hill writes, however, I think he could be a good choice. He's still in the Marvel family as well, writing X-Men: Fallen Angels. The last issue of that I read had some nice philosophy in it, so Hill can bring the Coates-like intellectual depth, though hopefully not as constrained by whatever issues Coates has with black men. From the books I've read by Hill he doesn't have the same issues Coates seems to have in depicting powerful, competent black male characters. Also, I've read the first issue of Hill's Vertigo American Carnage, and when I also think about the Killmonger and Cray books, Hill is not afraid to address racism, in some form or fashion, either.

In-house, Marvel already has Eve Ewing and Vita Ayala. I could see Ayala getting the book. She is really on the rise right now in comics. She is writing James Bond, and I think she's the first black woman, or maybe even 'woman of color' to write the James Bond title. I could see Marvel getting some positive media praise for Ayala, Ewing, or Nnedi Okorafor or even N.K. Jemisin (who is writing a Green Lantern series for DC right now) getting chose. Jemisin is almost as celebrated a literary figure as Coates, and within the genre world, even more so.

Outside Marvel, it would be nice to see Roye Okupe, the creator of E.X.O, get the shot. He's already created a successful African superhero and he owns/runs his own studio, YouNeek Studio, so it would be cool to see an African male take on Black Panther. I haven't read much Brandon Thomas, from what I recall, but he does have the Excellence series out now. I got the first volume but haven't read it yet. I did read the first issue a long while ago, thought the art was cool but the first issue didn't move me. However, once I read the whole graphic novel, I might have a different feeling.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:06:01 am by Emperorjones »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 05:16:52 am »
God no to Nnedi. It would just be more of the same Coates crap. Her series with T'challa in it were no better than Coates.

Honestly, I would be scared to death of any black female writing T'challa at this point. It seems like there is too much temptation with Shuri, Okoye, Aneka, Ayo, Storm, and Ramonda around to sideline the main character to promote black female power.

that may be "wrong" to think that and it likely can't get any worse than what Coates has done for 4 years, but I've been burned too much at this point.

I'd die if it was Ahmed

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 07:55:53 am »
Redjack, or R H himself are who I champion

I have to also agree with MoS. So far none of the female writer's have been able to write T'Challa in a compelling manner or could resist the urge to to throw shade or in Nnedis case, completely  changed Shuri from a determined and capable queen/ warrior into a whiney, bratty child.

The only female writer who didn't throw shade was Eve but even then when she had iron heart and Shuri meet, Shuri was acting like a teenager like her rather than an adult.
Basically the track record for female writer's on BP have been filled with agenda's that don't do any favors for T'Challa.

Hill, I don't know. His character moments in killmonger were excellent, however he chumped Erik hard in favor of bullseye and kingpin. And really didn't give us anything other then stereotypical angry Black man. He didn't show why Erik was dangerous and a threat to T'Challa or Wakanda, and at the end with Knight he just showed how petty and troll like he was to her and it didn't make any sense at all.

Hill should of put Erik in California and created a crime boss for  him to take down and really expand on how he used his experience to hone his anger into a weapon and earn the title killmonger. He should of expanded on the comment Ross made in the MCU about how Erik racked up kills like it was a video game

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:18:33 am by Ezyo »

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 09:57:03 am »
Anyone is better than Coates, Iíll take a dead body as the writer at this point

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 02:05:05 pm »
The only writers I can envision doing right by T'Challa and the BP mythos are, Reginald Hudlin, Geoff Thorne, Al Ewing or David Liss.

After the hatchet job David Walker did on Nighthawk,  his name has no business being mentioned let alone considered, as a future BP scribe.

Nnedi Okorafor and most other female writers on that "woke" need not apply and in addition, no writer with even a tangential connection or affiliation to the X-office, should be allowed anywhere near the BP mythos.

June 2020 cant come fast enough but it will all be for naught if the BP fanbase fall asleep at the proverbial wheel and allow another culturally brainless individual like Ta Nehisi Coates to ambush the BP mythos again.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 02:33:28 pm »

I have to also agree with MoS. So far none of the female writer's have been able to write T'Challa in a compelling manner or could resist the urge to to throw shade or in Nnedis case, completely  changed Shuri from a determined and capable queen/ warrior into a whiney, bratty child.

The only female writer who didn't throw shade was Eve but even then when she had iron heart and Shuri meet, Shuri was acting like a teenager like her rather than an adult.
Basically the track record for female writer's on BP have been filled with agenda's that don't do any favors for T'Challa.

Hill, I don't know. His character moments in killmonger were excellent, however he chumped Erik hard in favor of bullseye and kingpin. And really didn't give us anything other then stereotypical angry Black man. He didn't show why Erik was dangerous and a threat to T'Challa or Wakanda, and at the end with Knight he just showed how petty and troll like he was to her and it didn't make any sense at all.

Hill should of put Erik in California and created a crime boss for  him to take down and really expand on how he used his experience to hone his anger into a weapon and earn the title killmonger. He should of expanded on the comment Ross made in the MCU about how Erik racked up kills like it was a video game

I haven't read the whole Killmonger miniseries so I can't speak on that. But I do have to say that while I feel better with Hill writing Panther than Coates, I can't say he's been 100% on writing the black male superheroes I've read. I think his Michael Cray has been the most bad ass. Of the issues I've read each one he's taking down an evil version of a Justice League member. As for Black Lightning, he's not really been given a moment to shine when it comes to his power or really being shown taking full control of the Outsiders, but the character work between him and Katana is good. Likewise, his character work with Duke Thomas, though not getting the kind of focus as Lightning yet hasn't been bad either. Right now, Duke is grappling with his fears over Hill's villain Karma, and it doesn't feel like a chumping yet. Now, if it keeps going on I might have a different issue.

Like those who are concerned about writers pushing the agenda unfortunately I think that's the kind of writers Marvel is putting on these days. Perhaps one of the veterans might give us a more vanilla Panther, but one that isn't as much of an agenda punching bag either. Perhaps.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 02:38:38 pm »
The only writers I can envision doing right by T'Challa and the BP mythos are, Reginald Hudlin, Geoff Thorne, Al Ewing or David Liss.

After the hatchet job David Walker did on Nighthawk,  his name has no business being mentioned let alone considered, as a future BP scribe.

Nnedi Okorafor and most other female writers on that "woke" need not apply and in addition, no writer with even a tangential connection or affiliation to the X-office, should be allowed anywhere near the BP mythos.

June 2020 cant come fast enough but it will all be for naught if the BP fanbase fall asleep at the proverbial wheel and allow another culturally brainless individual like Ta Nehisi Coates to ambush the BP mythos again.

Walker is an uneven writer for me. The best was his first volume of Shaft, "A Complicated Man". That was an excellent read and so far, IMO, he hasn't got back there and certainly hasn't exceeded that.

That being said, I don't think he put a hatchet to Nighthawk. I think that book was saddled with poor artwork and issues with Marvel editorial from jump. I'm not saying that every creative decision that Walker made was good or that he could've found better ways to make his short-run leaving us wanting more, even if it was basically doomed from the start. I thought there was something there with Nighthawk. Now, when gave the mantle to Nightshade and had her in Occupy Avengers that was not a decision or series I found much to cheer about.

I think Walker has the right or good sensibilities sometimes, but his reach might exceed his grasp. It might be better for him to work as an independent creator.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 04:42:03 pm »

Walker is an uneven writer for me. The best was his first volume of Shaft, "A Complicated Man". That was an excellent read and so far, IMO, he hasn't got back there and certainly hasn't exceeded that.

That being said, I don't think he put a hatchet to Nighthawk. I think that book was saddled with poor artwork and issues with Marvel editorial from jump. I'm not saying that every creative decision that Walker made was good or that he could've found better ways to make his short-run leaving us wanting more, even if it was basically doomed from the start. I thought there was something there with Nighthawk. Now, when gave the mantle to Nightshade and had her in Occupy Avengers that was not a decision or series I found much to cheer about.

I think Walker has the right or good sensibilities sometimes, but his reach might exceed his grasp. It might be better for him to work as an independent creator.

I liked what David Walker did with Cyborg over at DC and his take on Power Man and Iron Fist, was pretty much awesome.

My major gripe with what he did with Nighthawk, was that all the work JMS put into building the character up and giving him nuance, was completely ignored by Walker.

The fact that the Nighthawk who appeared in the Robinson penned Squadron Supreme, was nowhere to be found in the Nighthawk solo book penned by Walker.

To me, where Nighthawk was concerned, Walker was just as bad as Coates has been on Black Panther.

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 05:06:18 pm »
What issues are JMS. I've read Daniel Way Supreme power Nighthawk and it was average. I read JMS power Supreme and Nighhawk was barely in it.

I loved Walkers six issues and I see people talk about JMS, but I haven't found anything ground breaking.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 09:54:50 pm »

I haven't read the whole Killmonger miniseries so I can't speak on that. But I do have to say that while I feel better with Hill writing Panther than Coates, I can't say he's been 100% on writing the black male superheroes I've read. I think his Michael Cray has been the most bad ass. Of the issues I've read each one he's taking down an evil version of a Justice League member. As for Black Lightning, he's not really been given a moment to shine when it comes to his power or really being shown taking full control of the Outsiders, but the character work between him and Katana is good. Likewise, his character work with Duke Thomas, though not getting the kind of focus as Lightning yet hasn't been bad either. Right now, Duke is grappling with his fears over Hill's villain Karma, and it doesn't feel like a chumping yet. Now, if it keeps going on I might have a different issue.

Like those who are concerned about writers pushing the agenda unfortunately I think that's the kind of writers Marvel is putting on these days. Perhaps one of the veterans might give us a more vanilla Panther, but one that isn't as much of an agenda punching bag either. Perhaps.

Hill could definitely be a step up from Coates. He just didn't impress me with his killmonger because he didn't show us all the cool stuff about Erik. In fact, like Coates, if you told me that was a new created character I could believe it.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 10:28:01 pm »
What issues are JMS. I've read Daniel Way Supreme power Nighthawk and it was average. I read JMS power Supreme and Nighhawk was barely in it.

I loved Walkers six issues and I see people talk about JMS, but I haven't found anything ground breaking.

JMS's Squadron stuff featuring Nighthawk and the rest of the Squadron Supreme, are all available on Amazon as in both print and digital format.

David Walker's Nighthawk  was nothing more than aimless twaddle that went nowhere fast.

He killed off the character in the most stupid manner possible and passed on the mantle to Deadly Nightshade  just because....

I have no time for writers who bring nothing meaningful to characters they've been commissioned to write.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 10:29:46 pm »

Hill could definitely be a step up from Coates. He just didn't impress me with his killmonger because he didn't show us all the cool stuff about Erik. In fact, like Coates, if you told me that was a new created character I could believe it.

Bro, frak all these wack writers.

None of them have the right pedigree to course correct post Coates hot garbage take on the BP mythos.