Author Topic: COATES' RUN ENDS IN JUNE  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: COATES' RUN ENDS IN JUNE
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 04:55:44 am »
Is this a good thing? Who'll take his place? Will it be someone from the MCU, like Robert Cole who co-wrote the MCU BP?

Or...dare we even hope...a RH or CJP or RH+CJP collab? It'll be a "name" author, I think...which screws the in-house up and coming geniuses like Redjack, et al. Walker won't get a look unless he's cowriting.

Who would y'all like to see take over in July?

Before I go any further? I want to clarify my meaning above. The reason I asked if removing COATES from BP was a good idea...is because I dreaded that they'd somehow found someone WORSE THAN COATES to pen BP. Now brethren, with that out of the way...

All of you made good points. I too don't want Nnedi anywhere near T'Challa...but I think that 616 MU will be directed by Feige and crew in the MCU...which increases the possibility of Cole writing the BP ongoing. Or not, as I'm sure Cole, Coogle and Crew are doing their thing to prep for BP 2.

Idk if Priest will come back to BP. He didn't sound especially overjoyed at the thought, at the last interviews of his that I read on the subject. So solly, stanleyballard. R to the H will kill it, if he's not distracted by other projects or isn't prevented from doing 616 work due to some contract or other from one of his many projects.

Ewing? I like him, but I don't think that he should be writing two high profile books at once because I think that there's a real chance that both books...IMMORTAL HULK and the possible Ewing BP... will suffer for it.

The next person who writes BP will be a "name" writer, and probably someone none of us have thought of...although I think that the more actually "woke" intellectual/writer alternative that someone mentioned earlier is probably on the list.

But what if a White guy who's NOT Al Ewing wrote BP? Would we TRULY welcome the return of David Liss? I liked his run, but his whole thing is more of a street level, noir like guy. BP is definitely not able to go street level to cosmic on the regular; without missing a beat. Sooo...prolly not Liss.

Mark Millar? Ed Brubaker? Warren Ellis? Some Other Guy?

I keep returning to R to the H and...CJP. Even though I want Redjack to FINALLY get his shot. We're definitely looking at serious dearth of diversity in big name Afrikan American writers. I don't think they'd give Eric Jerome Dickey another shot...so he's not even really in the running.

N.K. Jemisin, Marlon James, Colson Whitehead are just some of the big name black authors out there right now. And there's a growing list of black genre writers. My one concern though is that I suspect that many of the new writers are on some agenda stuff.

I would like to see what Steven Barnes or Walter Moseley could do with a Black Panther book.

I'm ashamed to admit that of the list above? I only know Barnes and Moseley...and I don't think that Moseley is the guy [ am I wrong or was Easy Rawlins...Moseley's main PI character...always getting beat up? ] , with Barnes killin it on GORGON CHILD like he did. I completely forgot about Barnes until you mentioned him. Idk what agenda that Barnes might have, because he seemed to have no problem writing a potent Aubry Knight...although he did make a point to specify the difficulty that the amazing Nullboxer Knight had with reading.

Nowadays, though? He won't have to make those kinds of concessions to the LCBRD because T'Challa is already a massive star, with even more dominance in the offing if we get the right scribe for him. So of the writers above? I very much favor Barnes.

Jemisin is the current 'it' black science fiction writer. She's won multiple Hugo Awards and she's writing a Green Lantern series, Far Sector, right now. I have read some of Far Sector, but none of her novels. I could see her injecting the agenda though if she was writing Panther, however, it might not be as in your face. From Far Sector I can see that she definitely has imagination and she could've done something pretty interesting with the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda concept. I also would like to see what Jemisin could do with Captain Marvel.

I haven't read any of James or Whitehead. Both of them are also highly praised. Last year, James wrote a very highly touted fantasy novel, that's supposed to be an African Game of Thrones. For fantasy, there's a brother, Evan Winters who wrote a book Rage of Dragons (which I also haven't read), but it's good to know we are seeing more black fantasy writers out there. From what I can tell, Whitehead is more of a general literature writer, however, he has written a zombie story in the past. I thought about Whitehead because of that literary pedigree.

I've read quite a few Easy Rawlins books and I don't recall Easy getting beat up all the time like that. However it's been a very long time since I've read that series. Back in the day, I really loved it. I loved how Moseley wrote black people, how he described the various hues of black skin, his character work, his views on society. Perhaps if Easy was getting beat up a lot-which is something that might go along with the detective genre to some extent-that left the door open for Mouse, who was the ultimate bad ass in the Easy books. I've also read some of his Fearless Jones series, and Fearless is also a bad ass in that, though the main character is bookish and Fearless is the muscle. I thought Moseley with his insight into black (American) life as well as him also writing science fiction novels could be an interesting choice. I saw Moseley in person once and he said during that talk that the reason he got into writing was to create black male heroes so I don't see him chumping Black Panther. I would like to see what Moseley could do with Luke Cage as well. Cage would be more in his wheelhouse, considering his detective fiction, maybe Daredevil and Nighthawk too.

As for Barnes, I like that you mentioned Aubry Knight and Gorgon Child. I've started reading that book. I had read the first and last books in the Knight trilogy but finally decided to get around to Gorgon Child. When it comes to the agenda, Barnes was writing, not going to say pushing, the agenda even in the Knight series, 30 years before I knew there was an agenda. That being said, I don't think he writes in a way that is a detriment to Aubry Knight that I've seen thus far, and don't recall from the other novels I read. Further, his book Lion's Blood, where he creates an alternate history where Africans colonized America instead of Europeans, was epic and I highly recommend it. I have yet to read the sequel Zulu Heart. I have it, but just haven't really committed to reading it. I used to read Barnes's old blog all the time and he's the first one that got me thinking about how black men in particular are depicted as sexless in films and he also was critiquing Blade: The Series for it's treatment of Blade, and also broke down Hancock, so Barnes knows what the deal is.

I think Barnes would be a great choice. I've also listened to an audio book from his wife, Tananarive Due, called Joplin's Ghost, which was quite good too. I'm not sure about her for Panther, but another Marvel character, I would be fine with. From what I've seen of Barnes's writing and just listening to him on You Tube, I don't see him doing a wholesale deconstruction of Black Panther and would do right by the character, or try to. I think he's more comfortable in his black skin that Coates seems to be. Doesn't mean his Panther wouldn't have flaws but I think he could bring something cool. Plus, Barnes is a martial artist and I wonder what he could bring to the action scenes.

Thinking of martial arts, Barnes might go to town on an Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Blade/Strikeforce, Nighthawk, or Daughters of the Dragon series as well. For Due, who I think writes more (but not only) supernatural natural stories I could see Blade, Morbius, Dr. Strange, Dr. Voodoo, Magick, or maybe even Ghost Rider or Hellstrom.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:06:31 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 05:00:46 am »
Just give me a proven comic book writer who will be invested in BP. Someone who knows how to tell a story, how to pace, how to set up the artist and won't job BP because he has some kind of agenda.

Basically the anti-Coates.
Black Panther. Bane of the Unfans.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 05:08:56 am »
Just give me a proven comic book writer who will be invested in BP. Someone who knows how to tell a story, how to pace, how to set up the artist and won't job BP because he has some kind of agenda.

Nothing wrong with that you say here, though I don't think it's just Coates's agenda. I think it's Marvel/Disney's agenda to a large extent and they are finding writers that agree with that agenda or are willing to work within it. That's why I suspect that whoever takes on the book next will also push a similar agenda, though the style might be different. Absent that, T'Challa could become a race-less character.

Take Vita Ayala for a moment. She's almost writing every comic book now it seems. And is it because she's really that good, or that she's down with the agenda? For me, the jury is out. I've read a good deal of her Livewire series. I don't hate it, but I'm still waiting for it to grab me. I did find it strange that she had Livewire getting beat up quite a bit in that book, which does appear to go against the female empowerment aspect of the agenda. I think it was Matt Kindt who wrote the preceding event series where Livewire was a Magneto-level problem and then Ayala's series she's getting taken down every issue. That could've just been Ayala's way to create cliff hangers for each issue but it was noticeable to me and not in a good way.

As for the James Bond issue I read that she wrote, Bond was pushed aside for a black female character who I imagine is a stand-in for Ayala. I read one of her Morbius issues and it was okay. Of course it also had a strong female vampire hunter in it, though she did not dominate the issue.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:17:44 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 05:44:56 am »

Nothing wrong with that you say here, though I don't think it's just Coates's agenda. I think it's Marvel/Disney's agenda to a large extent and they are finding writers that agree with that agenda or are willing to work within it. That's why I suspect that whoever takes on the book next will also push a similar agenda, though the style might be different. Absent that, T'Challa could become a race-less character.

Take Vita Ayala for a moment. She's almost writing every comic book now it seems. And is it because she's really that good, or that she's down with the agenda? For me, the jury is out. I've read a good deal of her Livewire series. I don't hate it, but I'm still waiting for it to grab me. I did find it strange that she had Livewire getting beat up quite a bit in that book, which does appear to go against the female empowerment aspect of the agenda. I think it was Matt Kindt who wrote the preceding event series where Livewire was a Magneto-level problem and then Ayala's series she's getting taken down every issue. That could've just been Ayala's way to create cliff hangers for each issue but it was noticeable to me and not in a good way.

As for the James Bond issue I read that she wrote, Bond was pushed aside for a black female character who I imagine is a stand-in for Ayala. I read one of her Morbius issues and it was okay. Of course it also had a strong female vampire hunter in it, though she did not dominate the issue.

Yeah, Marvel seems to be cool with the bs Coates had going on. I think the issue is that these "hot" writers are approaching BP through the lens of the African-American experience when Wakanda would have never had the same issues. The culture, their view would be totally different to the A-A experience. Hence we get "woke" writers trying to tell a tell using Black Panther as the backdrop. They have to change BP and Wakanda to fit the story they are trying to tell and it doesn't work for BP.

Maybe these woke writers should do a Falcon or Luke Cage series. That would fit better with whatever story they are trying to tell.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 06:07:21 am »

Yeah, Marvel seems to be cool with the bs Coates had going on. I think the issue is that these "hot" writers are approaching BP through the lens of the African-American experience when Wakanda would have never had the same issues. The culture, their view would be totally different to the A-A experience. Hence we get "woke" writers trying to tell a tell using Black Panther as the backdrop. They have to change BP and Wakanda to fit the story they are trying to tell and it doesn't work for BP.

Maybe these woke writers should do a Falcon or Luke Cage series. That would fit better with whatever story they are trying to tell.

When you look at the publishing history of the character, to my knowledge there's only been one actual continental African writer of a BP story, or BP universe story, and that's Nnedi Okorafor. Every other writer has been non-continental African and most American and I would say they've all projected their takes on the black experience, perhaps through the lens of the African-American experience or their idea of the black/African-American experience through the book. That makes sense since Black Panther is not something created by a black/African mind, but is an idea of who or what blacks are/could be. They've all done what you're describing here, though I think there's an issue of the limits of creativity, imagination, and also some had differing agendas to what's in vogue right now.

Yes, Black Panther becomes a Rorschach test for woke writers to push their agendas, with Marvel using, and squandering the popularity of the newfound and earned popularity of the character to do it. Certainly the woke writers are using BP and other comics to push their particular agenda, their worldview, but that's not something not done before. However, the desire to deconstruct, if not outright demonize, straight black males at the heart of this agenda really doesn't jibe with a book focused on a straight black male character, and one that has symbolized black aspiration. For me, that's one of the disconnects, without even getting into writing/storytelling ability. The woke politics are often toxic when it comes to depicting healthy, thriving black men and women, in strong relationships and families, and working together in a positive way, of black men-in particular-being heroic or people to admire or look up, of people who make good decisions, etc. At best, the 'non-toxic' straight black male, in woke and non-woke works, can be the sidekick to white males and females (also a eunuch around white women), the compliant helpmate to strong black females, the comic relief, or a background figure-seen for diversity points but not heard and not that important. The very idea of Black Panther, and what long-time Panther fans want to see out of this character go against that, and I think that's where this problem lies. Marvel IMO has often wanted him sidelined or undercut, before this woke era, and now are using woke creators to just keep this undercutting going, but now they can have black faces doing it more openly and with almost impunity.

I'm not even sure Lee and Kirby quite knew what they had done when they created T'Challa, how that character would resonate. But I doubt that the Marvel of today, with all of it's wokeness, could conceive of such a character and world.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:13:00 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 07:31:53 am »

I don't even think it was that they were cool with it, but couldn't cancel it like they did with BP and the crew for fear of backlash.

And I say this because notice how the rest of the MU treats BP more inline and in character to what we are used to while Coates just kinda did whatever in his corner. Plus the fact they have had to save his book with gimmicks constantly, I think they were really riding out the contract and counting down the days. That being said, I think they can course correct if they get someone like Redjack, who knows comics and knows BP and can write a solid TChalla and Wakanda as well as a good story. But I will say, that they female writer's mentioned here and the ones who have written BP since Coates started, I don't want anywhere near the BP solo. As I feel it would be more of the same as Coates

Offline Marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 08:56:20 am »

I don't even think it was that they were cool with it, but couldn't cancel it like they did with BP and the crew for fear of backlash.

And I say this because notice how the rest of the MU treats BP more inline and in character to what we are used to while Coates just kinda did whatever in his corner. Plus the fact they have had to save his book with gimmicks constantly, I think they were really riding out the contract and counting down the days. That being said, I think they can course correct if they get someone like Redjack, who knows comics and knows BP and can write a solid TChalla and Wakanda as well as a good story. But I will say, that they female writer's mentioned here and the ones who have written BP since Coates started, I don't want anywhere near the BP solo. As I feel it would be more of the same as Coates

They should have done a two year contract with Coates. He's been on the book far too long and he's done some serious damage to BP and Wakanda.

Somebody will come and hopefully undo a lot of his isht but 4+ years of Coates running T'Challa into the ground is too much.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 09:22:38 am »

They should have done a two year contract with Coates. He's been on the book far too long and he's done some serious damage to BP and Wakanda.

Somebody will come and hopefully undo a lot of his isht but 4+ years of Coates running T'Challa into the ground is too much.

They should of left it alone at the year long story. Because it was clear that's all the story he actually had and even that could of been wrapped up in a 6 issue mini

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 09:48:02 am »
Coates damage can easily be retconned. Marvel must realize by now that getting literary based and agenda laced writers (particularly agendas that are incompatible with the mythos) are not necessary. Marvel must also be aware that Geoff Thorne can handle the BP. Bring him on as a writer and/or editor.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 09:53:45 am »
Coates damage can easily be retconned. Marvel must realize by now that getting literary based and agenda laced writers (particularly agendas that are incompatible with the mythos) are not necessary. Marvel must also be aware that Geoff Thorne can handle the BP. Bring him on as a writer and/or editor.

He said on CBR that he hasn't been contacted and that Marvel likely already has someone lined up if they are announcing Coates is leaving

Offline Marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 09:54:58 am »

Co-signed. I wish the next writer(Thorne) could pick up from the end of Secret War and go from there.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 10:43:35 am »

He said on CBR that he hasn't been contacted and that Marvel likely already has someone lined up if they are announcing Coates is leaving

That's disappointing to hear. Thanks for the update MoS

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2020, 10:55:25 am »
It is a good thing Coates is leaving BP. I think Sal makes an excellent point about the writer's pedigree, which was part of the problem with Coates taking over. He did not have the comic's pedigree to do justice to T'Challa.

In addition, Coates/BP did not have an editor willing/able to "direct" Coates and align his ideas with a fundamental respect for T'Challa and Wakanda that could have enabled him to provide a "true" depiction of Black Panther.

I would love to see Redjack as Editor with Narcisse, who impressed with his Rise of the Black Panther as the writer. I would also retain Acuna as the artist.

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2020, 11:00:07 am »
It is a good thing Coates is leaving BP. I think Sal makes an excellent point about the writer's pedigree, which was part of the problem with Coates taking over. He did not have the comic's pedigree to do justice to T'Challa.

In addition, Coates/BP did not have an editor willing/able to "direct" Coates and align his ideas with a fundamental respect for T'Challa and Wakanda that could have enabled him to provide a "true" depiction of Black Panther.

I would love to see Redjack as Editor with Narcisse[/b], who impressed with his Rise of the Black Panther as the writer. I would also retain Acuna as the artist.

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont

That is something I think would work well.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 02:48:11 pm »

I would love to see Redjack as Editor with Narcisse[/b], who impressed with his Rise of the Black Panther as the writer. I would also retain Acuna as the artist.

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont

That is something I think would work well.

This idea is simply too good to work for Marvel. Along with the idea pairing either of the duo or the entire duo above with Geoffrey Thorne as brutha Ture schooled me on him ] as a trio on BP. Geoffrey as Editor and Redjack+Narcisse writing is too good to be made into reality by Marvel.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw