Author Topic: The Photograph  (Read 125 times)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Photograph
« on: March 04, 2020, 10:26:48 am »
Thought this movie was a departure from most Black movies recently released and thatís a positive thing.  Better than the majority of film in mainstream with very good performances from all involved, solid script and good directing skills.

Would compare this movie to Love Jones from the 90s because most Black romance films just arenít this satisfying or intellectually sound.  Comedy drove a few scenes and possibly some ad libbing to a better effect overall.  Pleasantly surprised here and would see this one a second time. Rare.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Photograph
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 12:49:47 pm »
Thought this movie was a departure from most Black movies recently released and thatís a positive thing.  Better than the majority of film in mainstream with very good performances from all involved, solid script and good directing skills.

Would compare this movie to Love Jones from the 90s because most Black romance films just arenít this satisfying or intellectually sound.  Comedy drove a few scenes and possibly some ad libbing to a better effect overall.  Pleasantly surprised here and would see this one a second time. Rare.

Thanks for the review. I would've checked this one out if Issa Rae wasn't the lead. I'm not a fan. But I am glad this was more of a straight up romantic film and not a romantic comedy. To be honest though, I thought Love Jones-at the time-was boring, though I loved the soundtrack, and I did gravitate more toward The Best Man and The Wood. I really enjoyed Love & Basketball though, but couldn't get into Brown Sugar.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Photograph
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 06:26:56 pm »
Love and Basketball was good too- like a coming of age type movie whereas Love Jones was purely adult oriented with a lot of nuances and thematic.

Like Issa Raye’s Character in the film and her romance with Keith’s character was grounded, funny and believable.  Liked the twist too- good character moments and good representation of Black love for a change.  Willing to see it again!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:15:51 am by stanleyballard »