Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER - DISNEY PLUS - New BP show Kingdom Of Wakanda  (Read 39470 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER - King In Black (The Preludes and Nocturnes)
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2021, 06:47:32 pm »
T'Challa and Storm Enter the Symbiote Saga with 'King in Black: Black Panther' #1
What happens when Knull's army invades Wakanda?
BY MARVEL
Symbiotes invade the unconquerable country of Wakanda. T’Challa’s most treasured allies are lost in a storm of Knull’s making. How does a King respond?

Critically acclaimed writer, actor, and producer Geoffrey Thorne explores a Wakanda gone dark—invaded by Knull’s massive symbiote army. Wakanda needs its leader. It needs the Black Panther. But once again, the hero must choose between his role as an Avenger, his role as a king…and the yearnings of his heart.

Join Geoffrey Thorne, artist Germán Peralta, and colorist Jesus Aburtov on February 10 for KING IN BLACK: BLACK PANTHER #1.

"It is always my honor and pleasure to write a T'Challa adventure," says Thorne. "Any format. Any medium. Any time. Any place. I couldn't be happier to be part of this team and I hope we do our own king in black justice. Wakanda Forever."

Look inside the one-shot right here—then get a special peek at the process with Peralta's inked pages in the gallery below!

Pre-order the mag with your local comic shop today before reading it on February 10!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/tchalla-storm-symbiote-king-in-black-black-panther-preview

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:52:24 am by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK PANTHER - King In Black - PREVIEW
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2021, 08:40:31 am »
Beyond HOT!!!!!

I'm in!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2021, 11:14:22 am »
This right here...

AIR T'CHALLA...

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2021, 02:14:35 pm »
Just looking over the previews we got for BLACK PANTHER - King in Black. That first page is gorgeous as it is powerful. The purple light in the distance followed by the next frame of something flying at high speeds then the third frames shows a very determined dare I say very pissed off T'Challa the Black Panther. Pissed off at having to help save the world while Wakanda needs his leadership into war.

I also like the way the page shows Storm's power as well as the expression on her face as the shadow of a giant hand descends upon her. Fear not the Black Panther will let no harm befall his queen. I imagine this scene occurring in the beginning of the book. Germán Peralta and Jesus Aburtov really came off well with this page.

Especially so for me as I never liked Stelfreeze's ship design. It looked way too fragile to me to be useful in type of military engagement but as a jet pack on the Black Panther the design looks formidable.

The second page comes off to me as T'Challa the Black Panther returning home and witnessing those Wakandans who live in the suburbs outside the Golden City engage in combat. Here we see the point I was making about Stelfreeze's airships just looking impotent. I don't think this is the Wakandan military, more like its Boarder Patrol. The symbiote attackers haven't reached the city in the distance as far I can tell. I expect on the way there and maybe in the city itself, is where we will witness the full firepower of the Wakandan war machine.

The third page is the Black Panther dropping in to lend a lethal hand. I can appreciate the continuity of using Stelfreeze's designs for the soldiers but again they look more like they would better function as personal security rather military fighters.

Wakandan blood has been spilled and an accounting is due. The Black Panther performs his patented power blast landing. What would be cool if the jet pack morphed back into the panther habit. Now I do love Stelfreeze's exposed vibranium tech seen whenever T'Challa executes a punch, kick, block or energy discharge.

I'm looking forward to BLACK PANTHER - King in Black, as there should be much to discuss.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 02:17:39 pm by Ture »

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2021, 04:06:10 pm »
Just looking over the previews we got for BLACK PANTHER - King in Black. That first page is gorgeous as it is powerful. The purple light in the distance followed by the next frame of something flying at high speeds then the third frames shows a very determined dare I say very pissed off T'Challa the Black Panther. Pissed off at having to help save the world while Wakanda needs his leadership into war.

I also like the way the page shows Storm's power as well as the expression on her face as the shadow of a giant hand descends upon her. Fear not the Black Panther will let no harm befall his queen. I imagine this scene occurring in the beginning of the book. Germán Peralta and Jesus Aburtov really came off well with this page.

Especially so for me as I never liked Stelfreeze's ship design. It looked way too fragile to me to be useful in type of military engagement but as a jet pack on the Black Panther the design looks formidable.

The second page comes off to me as T'Challa the Black Panther returning home and witnessing those Wakandans who live in the suburbs outside the Golden City engage in combat. Here we see the point I was making about Stelfreeze's airships just looking impotent. I don't think this is the Wakandan military, more like its Boarder Patrol. The symbiote attackers haven't reached the city in the distance as far I can tell. I expect on the way there and maybe in the city itself, is where we will witness the full firepower of the Wakandan war machine.

The third page is the Black Panther dropping in to lend a lethal hand. I can appreciate the continuity of using Stelfreeze's designs for the soldiers but again they look more like they would better function as personal security rather military fighters.

Wakandan blood has been spilled and an accounting is due. The Black Panther performs his patented power blast landing. What would be cool if the jet pack morphed back into the panther habit. Now I do love Stelfreeze's exposed vibranium tech seen whenever T'Challa executes a punch, kick, block or energy discharge.

I'm looking forward to BLACK PANTHER - King in Black, as there should be much to discuss.

sees Redjack's dope KING IN BLACK and...

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER - King In Black - Less Than A Week Away! Geoff Thorne Speaks!
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2021, 09:40:11 am »
Black Panther: Sins of the King Writer Geoff Thorne Wants to Ask the Tough Questions

Charles Pulliam-Moore

Art from Black Panther: Sins of the King.
Image: Khary Randolph/Serial Box

Though we’re still a long ways out from Ryan Coogler’s follow up to the first Black Panther movie and the recently-announced Wakanda series heading to Disney+, there’s quite a bit going on with T’Challa in the broader landscape of Marvel stories about mortals stepping up to the plate to become heroes and more.

Serial Box’s upcoming audiobook Black Panther: Sins of the King—from writers Ira Madison, Tananarive Due, Mohale Mashigo, and Geoff Thorne—pulls in different elements of the Black Panther mythos that came by way of the comics, books, tv shows, and movies to tell a unique story about Wakanda’s place in the world and T’Challa’s sense of justice. Each chapter, narrated by The Good Place’s William Jackson Harper, pulls you deeper into Sins of the King’s vision of Wakanda and its king at a time when they’re both considering what sorts of responsibility they have to humanity as a whole to share their power despite the world’s troubled history.

When we caught up with Thorne by phone recently, he went into detail about where Sins of the King fits into the Black Panther’s overall pop-cultural canon, and what sorts of questions he, as a lifelong lover of comics, thinks the medium could stand to raise and address more often.

Charles Pulliam-Moore, io9: Talk to me about this book’s team. Even though this is a Black Panther story, I think a lot of people are going to be a little surprised to see characters like Misty Knight and the Vision pop up so soon.

Geoff Thorne: Ira [Madison] was our project lead, so some of this boiled down to the ideas he brought to the table. I think we all agreed that if the story was going to visit New York City at all, and Misty didn’t show up, we were really dropping the ball. Everybody loves Misty, and I don’t think there are many worlds within Marvel where you couldn’t justify her presence because she can travel, in the sense that you can see her going wherever she wants to go, she talks a lot of smack, and she isn’t intimidated by anyone.

With the Vision, it was really a matter of “Which fun Avengers can we fit into this story to remind people that T’Challa is a part of that organization? The movies have done X, and the comics have done Y, so we wanted to find something a little surprising, but familiar all the same, which is why we’ve got Ant-Man and the Wasp there, even though they’re still new to the Avengers as of the last film for a lot of people.

io9: You can feel how these versions of the characters have pieces of their cinematic counterparts in them, but they are distinctly different, though.

Thorne: Yeah. Again, Avengers: Endgame sort of put everyone on the table for the MCU and you got to see characters like Black Panther and War Machine working as a kind of unit, but the last time many people had seen these characters, they were fighting, and we thought it would be interesting to see them in different kinds of contexts. We also didn’t want to make our team a “Black brigade” where we just threw all of the Black Avengers together and called it a day. Misty was fun, and we thought Vision’s power set would be interesting to have here, and for this story we really wanted to work with more of the ideas from his comics incarnation.

io9: We’re gonna double back on this, because I want to hear more of your thoughts about Vision and the Scarlet Witch, but let’s talk more Wakanda, first.

Thorne: For sure.

io9: There’s a moment early into this series where Misty and T’Challa are faced with a death that forces them both to contemplate what all the Wakandan concept of justice means now that the nation’s become part of the global stage. What were the sort of ideas about heroism for T’Challa personally and for Wakanda as a nation did you want to dig into with Sins of the King?

Thorne: I think part of the balance in this story comes from the way T’Challa is forced to sit with those questions and ponder them for himself. What is justice from the Wakandan point of view? He’s walking a thin, thin tightrope in that first episode where he’s choosing whether or not to intervene in what’s happening, whether he should be with the Avengers or not, and how all of these create political tensions for Wakanda, which had always been a hermit kingdom.

The importance of focusing on what Wakanda needs is primal for the Black Panther, and what’s important to remember is that Wakandan justice is harsh.

io9: Say more about that.

Thorne: [laughing] Well, think about it. If you steal something from Wakanda and they, for some reason, choose not to kill you—they’ll brand you. Until T’Challa’s father, outsiders didn’t really cross Wakanda’s borders and survive. Wakanda’s never been a marshall society, but it’s never been a soft society, either, and centuries of intense self-protection is impossible to shake off. T’Challa’s argument is that Wakandans are the most advanced people on the planet, which means he and the nation have an obligation, not a choice, to protect themselves and the entire world.

io9: Post-the Black Panther film, the discourse pretty quickly shifted to focus on what you’re talking about—what culpability Wakandas had in-universe for standing by and witnessing the world’s atrocities in the past, and how a real Wakanda might be seen in the context of a world in which the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Do you feel as if there are more conversations to be had here, both for the texts themselves and within fandoms?

Thorne: I’ve got to be very careful about how I answer here, and I want to make clear that I’m not speaking for anybody else here or about Sins of the King specifically.

io9: Sure.

Thorne: The modern Wakandan sense of needing to protect comes from T’Chaka. It’s tough to see, but the Wakandan perspective really was “Nah, that’s on you guys. I’m sorry that you’re getting colonized, and stolen into chattel slavery.” I think you could see the argument unfolding within Wakanda, and it really boiled down to the counter-argument: “If we stop this, we’re basically saying that we have to take over the world because if we do this now, the only way to enforce justice is to keep going and take over. Because they won’t stop. They’ve been doing this forever, as we all know. We could do that, but is that us?”

io9: Right.

Thorne: That’s really the only legitimate counter moral argument the Wakandans can make because the alternative would make them monsters, which they aren’t. I do think all of this should be addressed, but there has to be an appetite to address it from the powers that be, but the movies did things that the books don’t do, and the books do things the movies don’t do, and I hope our Serial Box endeavor does something that neither of those other mediums have done before.

io9: Let’s double back to Wanda and Vision before I let you go. Before we hopped on the call, I was going through your Twitter page and saw that you had some...thoughts about the Scarlet Witch, and the mutants.

Thorne: [laughing] Hey, man, listen. Everybody loves Wanda.

io9: [laughing] So I’ve heard. You were catching a lot of heat about M Day, Wanda, and the mutants’ usefulness as a metaphor for persecuted people, which ended up becoming a conversation about whether you were in the “Wanda was right” camp.

Thorne: I could have made that comment without the “Wanda was right comment,” but let’s just say that I’m a provocateur. Let me just say this: Black and brown people have been having this discussion basically forever. I love the X-Men, but the metaphor works only up to the point where people start shooting laser beams out of their eyes. With persecuted and marginalized people, it’s not that they’re actually dangerous, it’s that racist, homophobes, and misogynists have an irrational phobia of these people.

The problem with mutants and the X-Men is partially that they are very dangerous, often. Magneto and Storm, just the two of them, could accidentally wipe out baseline humanity. I’m allowed to be worried about that. It’s not the same thing as a gay couple setting up a house at the end of my cul-de-sac and starting a family.

io9: That’s very true.

Thorne: But also, what makes mutants special? People can’t really tell the difference between the Hulk and Colossus aside from the fact that they’re empowered people. The Thing literally looks like a monster, and just walks around New York where people are like “Hey, there’s Ben!” Meanwhile, Colossus, who’s a fairly attractive young man, could be walking around and the moment he turns on his steel, you’d hear “Oh my god, a mutant!” It doesn’t make sense.

io9: It’s that accent. New Yorkers? Sure. But Russians?

Thorne: Right, because no one’s ever bumped into a Russian person in New York City. I’m not saying the metaphor can’t work, I’m saying it doesn’t work in its current configuration to say all the things people think it’s saying.

Black Panther: Sins of the King is now available through Serial Box.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/black-panther-sins-of-the-king-writer-geoff-thorne-wan-1846189427

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER - King In Black - Geoff Thorne Speaks! + Updated Preview!
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2021, 05:35:58 pm »
Marvel Comics Exclusive Preview: KING IN BLACK: BLACK PANTHER #1
By Anthony Composto
February 4, 2021
KING IN BLACK BLACK PANTHER #1 hits your local comic book store February 10th, but thanks to Marvel Comics, Monkeys Fighting Robots has an exclusive four-page preview for you.

About the issue:
SYMBIOTES INVADE THE UNCONQUERABLE COUNTRY OF WAKANDA!
T’Challa’s most treasured allies are lost in a storm of Knull’s making in this wild one-shot! Critically acclaimed writer, actor and producer Geoffrey Thorne explores a Wakanda gone dark – invaded by Knull’s massive symbiote army. Wakanda needs its king. It needs the Black Panther. But once again, the hero must choose between his role as an Avenger, his role as a king… and the yearnings of his heart.

KING IN BLACK BLACK PANTHER #11 is by writer Geoffrey Thorne and artist German Peralta, with colors by Jesus Aburtov, and letters by Joe Sabino.

CHECK OUT THE KING IN BLACK BLACK PANTHER #1 PREVIEW BELOW:

https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/marvel-comics-exclusive-preview-king-in-black-black-panther-1/

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:43:35 pm by Ture »

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK PANTHER - King In Black - Less Than A Week Away! Geoff Thorne Speaks!
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2021, 05:39:46 pm »
Okay. To me? This issue about Wakanda not stopping the slave trade in a strange sense delves a little too much in the real world history of the conflicts of humanity and not enough "reality" in taking in the fantastic notion that this nation of Wakanda exists for real...AND SO DO ALL THE OTHER FANTASTIC ELEMENTS.

Let's be blunt. Wakanda would dog walk the rest of human civilization at the time of slavery. One million years ago, Bashenga was the only straight up human mortal hotboxin with the Original Avengers; a cast of gods and cosmic powers led by Odin. And Bashenga? Felt sure that he could kill every last one of The Original Avengers if it came down to it. So racist ruthless repulsive evil Arab guys? Soulless vomitous infinitely greedy European slaver guys? Not a problem.

But. Let's add some other comic book "reality" to this, and see what we come up with. If we do this? We'll see that lots of other issues are being overlooked here; issues that Wakanda WOULD NOT overlook, and which would put a lot more "real world comic context" into her decisions.

Slavery? Would provide live human sacrifices to all the super criminals, would be world conquerors, dark gods and netherworldly beasts on or dealing with 616 Earth. Everyone from Chthon to Apocalypse. From The Mandarin to Dracula. From The King of Spain to Dormammu. From the various rulers pre and post Mamluk Revolt to The Mongol Wars to The Kree, Skrull and Deviant Lemurians who all would lust after slaves for labor, reproduction and if you're the Dark Gods? Food. Pluto, Hades, etc would feast upon THE SOULS of those sacrificed, and they and their acolytes would drink the blood as well.

Now. Could Wakanda...barely bigger than the state of New Jersey...defeat ALL THE EVIL FORCES IN AND AROUND 616 EARTH AT THE SAME TIME? Should Wakanda even put herself in such a position where she might be forced to find out?

The answer to both questions is "NO". These combined evil forces would be as loathe to try Wakanda and her Gods as vice versa, so we're looking at the very definition of not just a Cold War, but The Coldest War. And that is why Wakanda took the path that R to the H said Wakanda took when RH was the first and to my knowledge still THEE ONLY writer with the courage integrity and skills to address the "Wakanda+Slavery" situation.

I like Reggie's conclusion and description as to what Wakanda did; such a tact and approach is very sensible imo for a xenophobic, secretive nation. That: "Nah, it's on you bruh that you gettin locked up like that" explanation isn't imo a suitable explanation for THE MAJORITY OPINION of Wakandans. Sure there are lots of Wakandans who back then, now and in the future will take such a position; but the MAJORITY OF WAKANDANS are far too enlightened and far too practical for such a position to take hold of more than say 25% of the population.

I like my explanation as to WHY Wakanda did what she did and the fearsomeness of the potential opposition she would face and its threat to Wakanda better.

What y'all think?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2021, 05:43:21 pm »
Marvel Comics Exclusive Preview: KING IN BLACK: BLACK PANTHER #1
By Anthony Composto
February 4, 2021
KING IN BLACK BLACK PANTHER #1 hits your local comic book store February 10th, but thanks to Marvel Comics, Monkeys Fighting Robots has an exclusive four-page preview for you.

About the issue:
SYMBIOTES INVADE THE UNCONQUERABLE COUNTRY OF WAKANDA!
T’Challa’s most treasured allies are lost in a storm of Knull’s making in this wild one-shot! Critically acclaimed writer, actor and producer Geoffrey Thorne explores a Wakanda gone dark – invaded by Knull’s massive symbiote army. Wakanda needs its king. It needs the Black Panther. But once again, the hero must choose between his role as an Avenger, his role as a king… and the yearnings of his heart.

KING IN BLACK BLACK PANTHER #11 is by writer Geoffrey Thorne and artist German Peralta, with colors by Jesus Aburtov, and letters by Joe Sabino.

CHECK OUT THE KING IN BLACK BLACK PANTHER #1 PREVIEW BELOW:

AND SOME PEOPLE WONDER WHY I LOVE THIS GEOFFREY THORNE GUY! GET EM, REDJACK!!!!
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2021, 06:18:47 pm »
MY TAKE: BLACK PANTHER (COMICS ONLY)

So, I think it's been long enough (three years or more) since I and several other writers were asked to pitch their arcs for the, then, upcoming Black Panther reboot comic.

David Walker, myself and some dude named Coates were up for the gig along with two others, maybe, whose names I never got. We know who got the gig and it's been long enough that I thought it would be fun to post my first pitch for the comic series. I won't be posting the second pitch which is QUITE different from this one and has multiple elements I might want to use later or elsewhere.

As always, this is not a criticism against what is being done in the comics. The best gladiator won and that's the end of that. But some people have asked me about what I would have done and if the Black Panther's Quest show is similar. It is not.

Anyway, here's what I would've done..

BLACK PANTHER: THE RULE OF FIVE

After the many recent upheavals in his life– the loss of Wakanda’s vibranium, the devastation of his country, the betrayal of his wife/annulment of his marriage and the loss of his throne– T’Challa is juggling a lot of inner conflict and doubt. So he returns home to reconnect with his spiritual roots, hoping to find a path forward.

In the past many have asked, “Who is the Black Panther?” Now T’Challa is asking, not “Who?” but “What?” Ruler? Scientist? Spy?

It’s a big question. The Panther God isn’t answering prayers. His people have their hands full rebuilding the nation. For the first time in his life, T’Challa has no answers. For the first time he is truly on his own.

One of the things that gets lost sometimes in all the intrigue of T’Challa’s story is he spends a significant amount of his time as a ruler not ruling, not being at home, not looking after his people and only his people. Sure, his sister’s the Queen now but, with a nation like Wakanda– whose hereditary rulers span back thousands of years in an unbroken line– not being King feels like a massive betrayal of everything T’Challa was raised to be.

Wakandans are navel gazers, something T’Challa has never been. Which path is the right one?

THE RULE OF FIVE

ARC 1: DUTY

Duty. Knowledge. Honor. Loyalty. Justice. These are the claws of the Panther Clan.

For its ruling family they form the pedestal upon which all action, all thought, is built.  Let's begin.

HAMMER BAY, Genosha, Southern Africa. In the wee hours of a dark night, three terrified people are stalked through the city streets. Their cells do not work. There are no cops available.

Whatever it is that’s hunting them brutally kills two of the runners before it’s zapped unconscious by more of their comrades. The rescuers (and victims) are operatives of a private agency equipped with high‐end weapons akin to those used by SHEILD.

They drag the unconscious hunter– a man in strange circuit‐laced, clothing– home, where they argue about what to do next.

The debate is shut down when their boss, JENNIFER SWENSON, arrives.

Jen’s livid. The Genosha office was meant to be the expansion of her company, an NGO that provides “advance relief” to people on the brink of some disaster.

Now two of her people are dead and, instead of calling the cops, the survivors chose to bring the killer here?! WTH!

They point out that there’s a problem. She should take a look at the prisoner and see for herself. When she does, Jen is shocked to find the killer is none other than the former ruler of Wakanda, the Black Panther.

When she confronts him, he explains: Days previous, T’Challa foiled an attack on his sister made by what turned out to be some sort of disguised monster/human hybrid never seen before.

After tracking it to the home village of the Panther clan, they find the place filled with corpses. The hybrid killed all the villagers over a long period and no one noticed? This is past bad. With difficulty, T’Challa and Shuri put the creature down but not before Shuri is injured terribly. She’ll be out of commission for some time.

An examination of the creature’s weapons reveals an exotic sort of syringe- possibly alien technology.

This thing meant to infect Shuri with some sort of toxin. Studying the creature’s personal effects reveals it was part of an NGO that had sent a small team to offer proposals to help with Wakanda’s rebuilding efforts. The other three members of that team have just left the country for their HQ in Genosha.

Wakanda’s ruling council expects T’Challa to take over as regent until Shuri recovers but, to everyone’s shock, he refuses. If the others are hybrids, he says, they can’t be allowed to escape into the world at large. They must be found. If they’re not hybrids, they must be questioned. If they are, they must be put down, fast. Ebola fast.

He tracks them to Hammer Bay and manages to kill two more before the rest of Jen’s people zap him unconscious.

Now Jen’s all caught up but the weight’s on her now. If T’Challa’s on the level, this is a big, REALLY scary deal. If he’s not, it’s almost worse. Decisions, decisions.

T’Challa confirms: It’s worse.

By now the surviving hybrids will have converted all her people. That’s what the toxin is, a virus that turns humans into hybrid monsters. Jennifer is likely the only one of her crew who hasn’t been turned.

Swenson’s colleagues return, confirming T’Challa’s hypothesis. The rest of Jen’s people are now hybrids. He has also deduced their identity. These are Skrulls.

Well, sort of.

The virus overwrites human DNA with Skrull, creating the hybrids with one little wrinkle. Hybrid: Singular. Not plural. There is only one Skrull here.

The hybrids are a single intelligence, replicated virally in its victims. The original Skrull means to punish Wakanda’s royals for what they did in the Secret Invasion.

Though there are now treaties between the Skrull throneworld and Earth, this is a blood debt between the family of the general T’Challa killed and the Wakandan royals; it’s a personal vendetta.

The hybrid plans to take Wakanda and then, just possibly, the rest of the world. There’s no cure for the hybrid conversion, after all.

T’Challa doesn’t care about the motive, only the mechanism. By allowing himself to be captured here, he’s got the hybrid where he wanted it. All the players are in one place, away from his home and people. Now he can finish it, Wakanda Style.

Needless to say a fight breaks out, pitting T’Challa and Swenson against a building full of shapeshifting monsters. Swenson turns out to be an asset, using some of her NGO’s tech to help fight off the monsters. Even so, the fight is brutal.

In order to protect Swenson, T’Challa is forced to run. He’s in unknown territory, being pursued by the hybrids (now all melded into a single form for better massacring).

Sending Swenson to the Wakandan embassy, T’Challa leads the hybrid to the city’s central plaza (Genosha’s 30 Rock) where there is a Wakandan gift- a small version of a jungle- ringing the main building like a park.

T’Challa scatters the few people who are around and dives into the jungle, chased by the hybrid, who thinks this is a big joke– poor little cat, trying to hide in the woods.

But, as usual, Wakandan gifts always hide a secret. In this case, the park is a smaller version of the famous techno jungle (think techno-organic Danger Room with no safeties) which can only be activated by one of the royal family.

The jungle attacks the hybrid as it hunts for T’Challa, whittling away at its strength and pissing it off. Now with a fighting chance, T’Challa braces the creature directly, hitting and running, literally cutting it down to size before he finally kills it.

The Genoshan authorities arrive to clean up but the work here is done. Score one for the Panther. It makes him think. Maybe he’s never been cut out for kingship. Protecting the world’s innocents from its villains and monsters has always been where his heart lies.

What is the Panther? Not a king. Not a vigilante. Not even a man. The Black Panther is a hero– always has been. It’s time he admitted it to himself and everyone else.

Geoff Thorne – September, 2014, Los Angeles

WRITER’S NOTE: For many years now, comic book fandom has mistakenly referred to the Panther as “Marvel’s Batman.” In my opinion this has never been an accurate description.

While their silhouette might be vaguely similar, the Black Panther has never been “that guy.” He’s not broken by tragedy and obsessed with crime (Batman). He’s not a mad scientist, good or bad (Dr. Doom or Reed Richards). He’s not a narcissistic genius (Tony Stark).

He is a protector, an innovator, an explorer. He’s not Marvel’s Batman; he’s Marvel’s Doc Savage.

https://www.geoffreythorne.com/single-post/2018/11/15/my-take-black-panther-comics-only

Courtesy of CBR's Redjack

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
That's a great preview.

The engagement policies need to upgraded though. Shouldn't wait for Tchalla to tell you to put a sheath on if the fight has already started. Lol.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Redjack commented on the cbr. Saying that in the preview they just started engaging the enemy and didn't know what the were up against.. I also think he did it to showcase that WHY T'Challa is their leader, he is THE guy

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Redjack commented on the cbr. Saying that in the preview they just started engaging the enemy and didn't know what the were up against.. I also think he did it to showcase that WHY T'Challa is their leader, he is THE guy

I read the explanation. It made it worse. Lol. So all the equipment is in the field because the shield is being threatened.

If I'm in the group being sent to investigate, I'd start with the sheath deployed. It'd have been better to say it was a standard patrol compsed of air and ground troops that got ambushed and the shield wasn't deployed yet.

Because before this scene, Knull has already surrounded the planet with symbiote.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2021, 01:51:40 pm »
MY TAKE: BLACK PANTHER (COMICS ONLY)

So, I think it's been long enough (three years or more) since I and several other writers were asked to pitch their arcs for the, then, upcoming Black Panther reboot comic.

David Walker, myself and some dude named Coates were up for the gig along with two others, maybe, whose names I never got. We know who got the gig and it's been long enough that I thought it would be fun to post my first pitch for the comic series. I won't be posting the second pitch which is QUITE different from this one and has multiple elements I might want to use later or elsewhere.

As always, this is not a criticism against what is being done in the comics. The best gladiator won and that's the end of that. But some people have asked me about what I would have done and if the Black Panther's Quest show is similar. It is not.

Anyway, here's what I would've done..

BLACK PANTHER: THE RULE OF FIVE

After the many recent upheavals in his life– the loss of Wakanda’s vibranium, the devastation of his country, the betrayal of his wife/annulment of his marriage and the loss of his throne– T’Challa is juggling a lot of inner conflict and doubt. So he returns home to reconnect with his spiritual roots, hoping to find a path forward.

In the past many have asked, “Who is the Black Panther?” Now T’Challa is asking, not “Who?” but “What?” Ruler? Scientist? Spy?

It’s a big question. The Panther God isn’t answering prayers. His people have their hands full rebuilding the nation. For the first time in his life, T’Challa has no answers. For the first time he is truly on his own.

One of the things that gets lost sometimes in all the intrigue of T’Challa’s story is he spends a significant amount of his time as a ruler not ruling, not being at home, not looking after his people and only his people. Sure, his sister’s the Queen now but, with a nation like Wakanda– whose hereditary rulers span back thousands of years in an unbroken line– not being King feels like a massive betrayal of everything T’Challa was raised to be.

Wakandans are navel gazers, something T’Challa has never been. Which path is the right one?

THE RULE OF FIVE

ARC 1: DUTY

Duty. Knowledge. Honor. Loyalty. Justice. These are the claws of the Panther Clan.

For its ruling family they form the pedestal upon which all action, all thought, is built.  Let's begin.

HAMMER BAY, Genosha, Southern Africa. In the wee hours of a dark night, three terrified people are stalked through the city streets. Their cells do not work. There are no cops available.

Whatever it is that’s hunting them brutally kills two of the runners before it’s zapped unconscious by more of their comrades. The rescuers (and victims) are operatives of a private agency equipped with high‐end weapons akin to those used by SHEILD.

They drag the unconscious hunter– a man in strange circuit‐laced, clothing– home, where they argue about what to do next.

The debate is shut down when their boss, JENNIFER SWENSON, arrives.

Jen’s livid. The Genosha office was meant to be the expansion of her company, an NGO that provides “advance relief” to people on the brink of some disaster.

Now two of her people are dead and, instead of calling the cops, the survivors chose to bring the killer here?! WTH!

They point out that there’s a problem. She should take a look at the prisoner and see for herself. When she does, Jen is shocked to find the killer is none other than the former ruler of Wakanda, the Black Panther.

When she confronts him, he explains: Days previous, T’Challa foiled an attack on his sister made by what turned out to be some sort of disguised monster/human hybrid never seen before.

After tracking it to the home village of the Panther clan, they find the place filled with corpses. The hybrid killed all the villagers over a long period and no one noticed? This is past bad. With difficulty, T’Challa and Shuri put the creature down but not before Shuri is injured terribly. She’ll be out of commission for some time.

An examination of the creature’s weapons reveals an exotic sort of syringe- possibly alien technology.

This thing meant to infect Shuri with some sort of toxin. Studying the creature’s personal effects reveals it was part of an NGO that had sent a small team to offer proposals to help with Wakanda’s rebuilding efforts. The other three members of that team have just left the country for their HQ in Genosha.

Wakanda’s ruling council expects T’Challa to take over as regent until Shuri recovers but, to everyone’s shock, he refuses. If the others are hybrids, he says, they can’t be allowed to escape into the world at large. They must be found. If they’re not hybrids, they must be questioned. If they are, they must be put down, fast. Ebola fast.

He tracks them to Hammer Bay and manages to kill two more before the rest of Jen’s people zap him unconscious.

Now Jen’s all caught up but the weight’s on her now. If T’Challa’s on the level, this is a big, REALLY scary deal. If he’s not, it’s almost worse. Decisions, decisions.

T’Challa confirms: It’s worse.

By now the surviving hybrids will have converted all her people. That’s what the toxin is, a virus that turns humans into hybrid monsters. Jennifer is likely the only one of her crew who hasn’t been turned.

Swenson’s colleagues return, confirming T’Challa’s hypothesis. The rest of Jen’s people are now hybrids. He has also deduced their identity. These are Skrulls.

Well, sort of.

The virus overwrites human DNA with Skrull, creating the hybrids with one little wrinkle. Hybrid: Singular. Not plural. There is only one Skrull here.

The hybrids are a single intelligence, replicated virally in its victims. The original Skrull means to punish Wakanda’s royals for what they did in the Secret Invasion.

Though there are now treaties between the Skrull throneworld and Earth, this is a blood debt between the family of the general T’Challa killed and the Wakandan royals; it’s a personal vendetta.

The hybrid plans to take Wakanda and then, just possibly, the rest of the world. There’s no cure for the hybrid conversion, after all.

T’Challa doesn’t care about the motive, only the mechanism. By allowing himself to be captured here, he’s got the hybrid where he wanted it. All the players are in one place, away from his home and people. Now he can finish it, Wakanda Style.

Needless to say a fight breaks out, pitting T’Challa and Swenson against a building full of shapeshifting monsters. Swenson turns out to be an asset, using some of her NGO’s tech to help fight off the monsters. Even so, the fight is brutal.

In order to protect Swenson, T’Challa is forced to run. He’s in unknown territory, being pursued by the hybrids (now all melded into a single form for better massacring).

Sending Swenson to the Wakandan embassy, T’Challa leads the hybrid to the city’s central plaza (Genosha’s 30 Rock) where there is a Wakandan gift- a small version of a jungle- ringing the main building like a park.

T’Challa scatters the few people who are around and dives into the jungle, chased by the hybrid, who thinks this is a big joke– poor little cat, trying to hide in the woods.

But, as usual, Wakandan gifts always hide a secret. In this case, the park is a smaller version of the famous techno jungle (think techno-organic Danger Room with no safeties) which can only be activated by one of the royal family.

The jungle attacks the hybrid as it hunts for T’Challa, whittling away at its strength and pissing it off. Now with a fighting chance, T’Challa braces the creature directly, hitting and running, literally cutting it down to size before he finally kills it.

The Genoshan authorities arrive to clean up but the work here is done. Score one for the Panther. It makes him think. Maybe he’s never been cut out for kingship. Protecting the world’s innocents from its villains and monsters has always been where his heart lies.

What is the Panther? Not a king. Not a vigilante. Not even a man. The Black Panther is a hero– always has been. It’s time he admitted it to himself and everyone else.

Geoff Thorne – September, 2014, Los Angeles

WRITER’S NOTE: For many years now, comic book fandom has mistakenly referred to the Panther as “Marvel’s Batman.” In my opinion this has never been an accurate description.

While their silhouette might be vaguely similar, the Black Panther has never been “that guy.” He’s not broken by tragedy and obsessed with crime (Batman). He’s not a mad scientist, good or bad (Dr. Doom or Reed Richards). He’s not a narcissistic genius (Tony Stark).

He is a protector, an innovator, an explorer. He’s not Marvel’s Batman; he’s Marvel’s Doc Savage.

https://www.geoffreythorne.com/single-post/2018/11/15/my-take-black-panther-comics-only

Courtesy of CBR's Redjack

I feel where Geoffrey is coming from here. I do. But like I said when I first saw this quote? Imo...and I respect Redjack's opinion and will most definitely buy his BP...in my opinion, though? T"Challa isn't Marvel's Batman. I completely agree with Redjack there.

But imo? He's alot closer to Marvel's Doc Savage, but only if we drastically reduce the grandeur of what and who and why T'Challa is who he is and the Black Panthers are what they are.

Doc Savage is the amazing virile manly hero type, who first appeared in American pulp magazines during the 1930s and 1940s. Real name Clark Savage, Jr., he is a doctor, scientist, adventurer, detective, and polymath who "rights wrongs and punishes evildoers." In that sense? I can see how T'Challa is Marvel's version of the foregoing, because T'Challa is famously vastly more competent than Doc Savage is in every regard.

But T'Challa's spiritual depth, Afrakan worldview, kingly duties and perspective, etc puts him in a class by himself. Not even other Marvel Kings like Black Bolt, Odin and Thor The All-Father have the same perspective as T'Challa does because of the unique history and position of continental Afrika and our Afrikan brethren.

Doc Savage of the 1930's and 1940's would be the embodiment of the paternalism and nationalist, Colonizer mentality that was popular in those times and spectacularly summed up by the [ very popular and widely embraced by White folks of the time ] philosophy of "The White Man's Burden". He would simply be a much more benighn, hypercapable version thereof.

He would find himself in direct opposition with any Black Panther and rapidly defeated if not killed by said BP.

T'Challa's Wakandans would literally live and breathe the Afrikan concepts and philosophies taught in the 42 Negative Confessions of Ma'at.

The Black Panthers as a whole would be worlds apart and dimensions above Doc Savage. And you know what? I think that Redjack knows this, but also knows that the crusty old fogeys in Marvel Editorial aren't trying to hear none uh that 42 Confessions mess from their own personal perspective. They just want a hit comic book from a Black image that is a moneymaking powerhouse but simultaneously is something they wouldn't deem threatening to them politically or socially.

The Tame Money-Making Negro dressed up in as a true Badass but not the not ultimate threat of the unstoppable, unbreakable, intellectually and spiritually without peer, possessed of riches beyond imagining, hugely relentless, ruthless yet hugely honorable, free Afrakan MAN. To the Colonizers and...let's keep it real and honest...to many in Marvel's offices? This combination in the body of A AFRIKAN MAN is FAR MORE THREATENING than the SAME combination in the body of an Afrikan WOMAN. Taht's why they'll embrace Shuri and let her doe things that they'd never tolerate from T'Challa, if they have their druthers.

And Marvel? Is their game. Their toys. Their company. So they'll always have their druthers. It's like that, what? And that's the way it is.

Until...we blow Milestone, Black Sands, etc. all the way up.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium

I read the explanation. It made it worse. Lol. So all the equipment is in the field because the shield is being threatened.

If I'm in the group being sent to investigate, I'd start with the sheath deployed. It'd have been better to say it was a standard patrol compsed of air and ground troops that got ambushed and the shield wasn't deployed yet.

Because before this scene, Knull has already surrounded the planet with symbiote.

well, i guess you'll have to read the whole story.

it's not like I'm going to spoil it just to explain four pages.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.