Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER - DISNEY PLUS - D23 'The King is Dead'  (Read 44544 times)

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK PANTHER - The Disney+ Experience - Falcon and the Winter Soldier
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2021, 12:51:20 pm »
Loving the thorough and brilliant analysis of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier on this forum. I thoroughly enjoyed the series. My key take away was how much I appreciated Marvel/Disney incorporating the "Truth" storyline into the plot, being unafraid to reveal a tarnish to the legacy of America's "Greatest Generation" that should resonate with people of color as it attempts to shed light on subsequent injustice, inequality and institutional racism.

As an African-American male, the series spoke to me in a way no other comics-based television series ever has. The contrast between Isaiah Bradley's weathered, grounded view of America and Sam/"Black Falcon's" soaringly hopeful, idealistic view of what it could be, reflects the conversations of Black folk still to this day. Overall, I found it extremely well considered and executed. Like any such enterprise, there were some plot holes and questionable devices, but nothing I couldn't gleefully overlook.

As to Sam's h2h prowess, considering he trained with Cap extensively as a partner and Avenger, I didn't find it too much of a stretch for him to hold his own against Batroc or even, given the clever incorporation of his wings and flight rig's propulsion into his tactics, the suped-up Flag Smashers or John Walker.

Loved seeing the Dora Milaje, (referred to as "the Wakandans") represented, in character, as competent and ferocious, and functional international assets. I did scratch my head over them depositing Zemo at "the Raft" but given Zemo's villian potential, I can accept this as a continuation of T'Challa's diplomatic approach to Wakanda's big reveal. At least they let it be known they are watching and capable of taking action, across borders, when need be!

Having Carli shine a light, however misguidedly, on oppression of a global scale added another level to the narrative, indicating the dire nature of the stakes at hand and setting the table perhaps for intergalactic conflict in the MCU. Sharon Carter could easily be a Skrull and I hope that is so?

Sam Wilson as Captain America positions Marvel and perhaps its most tent pole property to be in the midst of conversations on race and representation, injustice and inequality as we continue to struggle with these concepts in the real world. I'm all for it! Make mine MCU!

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2021, 03:29:22 pm »
Entertainment Weekly reviewer isn't a fan.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier failed noble ambitions with limp storytelling: Review

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-review/

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2021, 04:35:28 pm »
The problem with critics/reviewers is if you leave them anything to chew on, they are compelled to make it into a full course meal!

There are some valid criticisms in the review, things that would never make the cut in a two hour movie, but fill out a 6 hour television series in a way that should make you go, "hmm that was weird" while on your way to the fridge to grab a drink. As a fan, I look at a reviewer prioritizing criticism of the story's flaws over the way it made him feel as an occupational hazard...his problem not mine and likely not Marvel's or Disney+?

I was entertained, saw it as good TV advancing the MCU and much needed diversity within. In the words of Stan "the Man," Excelsior!

Peace,

Mont

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2021, 10:03:19 am »
Entertainment Weekly reviewer isn't a fan.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier failed noble ambitions with limp storytelling: Review

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-review/

EW reviewer seems like his wife left him 20 minute sbefore he had to right this review, yeeesh.

I mean like, bringing up Cap kissing Sharon? That is worth the words in this review?

tHis screams an amateur YT review type of thing, that just says stuff hoping to get a reactino out of people. I assumed EW was bigger than though....

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2021, 06:23:51 am »
Anthony Mackie Thinks His ‘Captain America’ Action Figure Looks Like Someone Else

http://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/anthony-mackie-captain-america-action-figure-colbert-123046167.html

‘The Falcon and Winter Soldier’ fails to pay off on its initial promise

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/falcon-and-winter-soldier-episode-six-captain-america-disney-plus-133033258.html

'Falcon and Winter Soldier' Boss Malcolm Spellman on Making the MCU's Heaviest Story: "Marvel Never Blinked"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/falcon-and-winter-soldier-boss-malcolm-spellman-on-making-the-mcus-heaviest-story-marvel-never-blinked
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:31:30 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER - The Disney+ Experience
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2021, 09:31:22 pm »
Disney Commits to “Creators of Color” With Onyx Collective
IN DISNEY

As The Walt Disney Company has strengthened its commitment to a diverse workforce, policies throughout the company have begun to shift. For example, the “Disney Look” dress code for Disney Parks Cast Members has become more inclusive, allowing for visible tattoos, new hairstyles, and other forms of personal expression. In addition, a new Disney Channel executive was hired specifically to focus on “diversity and inclusion” within various programs on the network.

Now, Disney is further committing to diversity with the creation of Onyx Collective, a new division that will focus specifically on projects by “creators of color”.

Forbes shared details about the new Onyx Collective content label:

Tara Duncan, a leading executive at the Walt Disney Company,already successfully running the company’s cable platform, Freeform, will now expand her portfolio to launch Disney’s new brand.

Dana Walden, Chairman of Entertainment Walt Disney Television, announced that Onyx Collective will feature the work of “creators of color and other underrepresented creators.” She added that Onyx Collective will largely distribute its content on Hulu, one of Disney’s two domestic streaming platforms.

Earlier this year, it was announced that Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Chapek would chair two diversity councils — one focusing on general inclusivity at the company and another focused on diversity within the companies content. It is possible that Onyx Collective was borne of the latter.

At this time, details about specific creators who will be associated with Onyx Collective are limited. However, Forbes’s report did confirm: Onyx Collective already has many high profile producing partnerships underway, including but not limited to: Oprah Winfrey, Questlove and Ryan Coogler.

Coogler already has experience with Disney-owned Marvel Studios and is currently directing Black Panther 2 and the upcoming Disney+ Wakanda series. Marvel announced the show in February with a Tweet that read: Writer-director-producer Ryan Coogler and Proximity Media will develop a #BlackPanther spinoff series based in the Kingdom of Wakanda for@DisneyPlus!

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/05/disney-onyx-collective-rwb1/

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
There’s a NEW ‘Black Panther’ Photo Op at This Disney Park!
by Monique Reynoso

We are just days away from Disney California Adventure Park’s Avengers Campus grand opening. Preparations for this new land are in full swing. And now the park is receiving a new Black Panther photo opportunity that looks incredible. Although this summer will welcome the grand opening of the new Avengers Campus, it will also mark the anniversary of Chadwick Boseman’s untimely passing. The resort has previously honored his legacy with a mural featuring the Black Panther actor at the Downtown Disney District.

Even the upcoming second Black Panther film, set to debut July 8, 2022, will pay homage to the late actor. The film’s title Black Panther: Wakanda Forever gives off the feeling of carrying on the legacy of the Black Panther. At this time not much else is known about the upcoming Marvel film, but we do know that it will not feature a CGI version of Boseman. We also know that writer and director Ryan Coogler wants to honor Boseman the best way he can in this film.

Additionally, Avengers Campus will have a special photo opportunity to meet the Black Panther. The new photo location is definitely fit for royalty! It is grand and perfect for the King of Wakanda. This new photo op is currently set up in the Hollywood Studios Backlot area of Disney California Adventure Park.

Thanks to jennydisneydreams on Instagram, we got a quick glimpse of what looks to be an photo opportunity and possibly socially distanced meet and greet before Avengers Campus opens and Black Panther moves to the new Marvel land. Lately, the Marvel heroes fans know and love have been making appearances at the Hollywood Backlot in the meantime.

Don’t forget to get your photo at this new amazing spot on your next trip to the parks!

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/05/black-panther-photo-op-mr1/

MORE PICS HERE...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJkotWBuvW/?subject=See%20this%20Instagram%20post%20by%20%40jennydisneydreams&body=See%20this%20Instagram%20post%20by%20%40jennydisneydreams%3A%20https%3A%2F%2Fwww.instagram.com%2Fp%2FCPJkotWBuvW%2F%3Futm_source%3Dig_web_button_share_sheet

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Okoye BLACK PANTHER Spinoff in Development for Disney+
by Eric Diaz

Not too long ago, we learned that Marvel was developing a Wakanda-based series for Disney+, with Ryan Coogler producing. But that’s not the only Black Panther spinoff series coming to the streamer. Via a profile on showbiz “Power Lawyers” in The Hollywood Reporter, we’ve discovered that Danai Gurira is not only returning for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, but is also getting her own Okoye spin-off origin series for Disney+. As Okoye was easily one of the most popular characters in the whole MCU, this is richly deserved.

So what do we know about this Okoye series? Well, right now, not much. Only that it’s far enough in development to have already secured Dunai Gurira’s return. Of course, due to her years on The Walking Dead as Michonne, we all know we’re in for a treat. One imagines we will see the rest of the Black Panther’s royal guard, the Dora Milajae, in some form on the Okoye series.

In The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Dora member Ayo also impressed viewers. So here’s hoping she’s a guest star at least. Of course, there is also the romance between Okoye and Daniel Kaluuya‘s W’Kabi to explore. He will almost certainly appear as well. If it ends up as a flashback series, then perhaps King T’Chaka too? Okoye served him long before T’Challa. Her friendship with Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o) is also something we hope to see more of.

Okoye debuted in the Marvel Knights Black Panther series in 1998. Aspects of her backstory which may appear include Okoye helping to recruit Queen Divine Justice into the Dora. Divine Justice, the actual queen of the Jabari tribe of Wakanda, grew up in Chicago. She would be another great character to see in an Okoye series. In the comics, Okoye also has a brief flirtation with Kasper Cole, the White Tiger. Any of these aspects of her past are worthy storylines. When it comes to the captain of the Dora Milaje, the possibilities are endless.

https://nerdist.com/article/okoye-black-panther-spinoff-danai-gurira-disney-plus/

Black Panther: Danai Gurira to Appear in Disney+ Wakanda Series
By JOE SCHMIDT

The Marvel Cinematic Universe continues to expand with many new series on Disney+, and while fans are eager to see what's next in the sequel Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, the franchise is also getting its own show on the new streaming service. And while there were questions about what exactly the show would entail, it looks like Marvel Studios is bringing back a familiar face in the form of Danai Gurira as the Dora Milage leader Okoye. The hero became a member of the Avengers during the five year gap between Infinity War and Endgame, so her inclusion in the Black Panther: Kingdom of Wakanda spinoff series isn't a huge surprise.

Gurira's involvement has not officially been confirmed by Marvel Studios. However, a new report from THR indicates that Gurira's lawyer Jamie Mandelbaum negotiated a deal for her return as Okoye in both Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and the spinoff series Kingdom of Wakanda.

Outside of formally announcing the Disney+ show with involvement from Black Panther director Ryan Coogler, Marvel Studios has yet to reveal any other information about the new series. In fact, details about the future of the franchise have been kept tightly under wraps — especially so after the death of star Chadwick Boseman. Coogler himself explained on Jemele Hill's Unbothered about the difficulty of crafting the Black Panther sequel without the actor who played the title character.

“You know, I’m currently going through it,” he explained. “One thing that I’ve learned in my short or long time on this Earth, however, you want to look at it, it’s difficult to have perspective on something while you’re going through it. This is one of the more profound things that I’ve ever gone through in my life, having to be a part of keeping this project going without this particular person. Who was like the glue that held it together.”

He added, ”That said, you have a personal life, you have a professional life, you got a private life. When you work in something that you love, those things blend, they come together right? Your life kind of becomes your work for the better part of it. So, I’m trying to find a work-life balance, so I’m working on building two things that can stand on their own. I’m not there yet. But, this is without question, the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my professional life.”

Actress Lupita Nyong'o recently spoke with Yahoo! about the sequel. During the interview, she touched on the difficulty of returning to the role without Boseman joining the rest of the cast and crew.

“People will ask me, ‘Are you excited to go back?’ Excitement isn’t the word. I feel like I’m in a very pensive and meditative state when it comes to Black Panther 2. His passing is still extremely raw for me,” Nyong’o said. “And I can’t even begin to imagine what it will be like to step on set and not have him there... But at the same time we have a leader in Ryan, who feels very much like we do, who feels the loss in a very, very real way as well."

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is currently set to premiere in theaters on July 8, 2022. Kingdom of Wakanda does not yet have a release date on Disney+.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/black-panther-danai-gurira-to-appear-in-disney-wakanda-series/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER THE DISNEY+ EXPERIENCE - Kingdom of Wakanda
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2021, 08:19:03 pm »

With the opening of Disney's new Avengers Campus in California, we get an appetizer consisting of the Black Panther and the Dora Milajae. There was some talk of there being a Wakandan attraction perhaps at Disney World Florida which would be our main course. The Black Panther movie did an outstanding job of making Wakanda feel real ,especially to Afrakans both home and abroad. While I would love to wander through Wakanda there are certain aspects that need to be descriptively outlined.

What would make the Wakandan attraction great would be its many points of interests. The waterfalls aka Warrior Falls; downtown central Wakanda shopping district; the kings palace; the Jabari lands; go underground to the tunnels and caverns leading through vibranium mines; Shuri's lab; public transit system; ride the royal talon fighter; W'Kabi's rhino reserve; the sacred ritual of the heart shaped herb chamber and of course the ancestral realm. If Disney were to fully commit, which they usually do, this could be outstanding.

There also has to be a great menu showcasing Wakandan cuisine. Let's not forget Wakandan music must fill the air to help pass the time waiting in long lines. Along with live action performances there should be interactive and immersive activities for patrons. T'Challa the Black Panther should be omnipresent throughout the entire attraction. This is another reason why they need to recast T'Challa the Black Panther. Each movie should entice audiences to want to visit the home of T'Challa the Black Panther.

The real challenge is not to be afraid to focus on the Afrakan cultural influences and nuances. Keep the black in Black Panther. Remember Wakandan is an Afrakan nation that has never been colonized; untouched by the evils of slavery; spared neo colonialism, racism, Jim Crow, denial of civil rights and second class citizenship; free from religious domination and persecution; no police brutality, no gang violence and no drug use. Sounds too good to be true... well that is what dreams are made of and that is the business that Disney and Marvel specialize in.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Vs Black Panther - Which Movie Is Better?
Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Black Panther are considered by many fans to be two of the best films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
BY KIT MORRIS

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is arguably the greatest film franchise of all time. It has taken great comic book characters and plots and brought them to the big screen. Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Black Panther are considered by many fans to be two of the best films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But which one of these movies is better than the other and for what reasons? There are many ways in which Captain America: The Winter Soldier is better than Black Panther and others why Black Panther is better than Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Is A Great Sequel

Most of the main superheroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe have had multiple movies, and The Winter Soldier isn't the first movie that focuses on Captain America's character arc. The First Avenger was where he started his journey, and The Winter Soldier is a great continuation of that film. Multiple characters from the first movie returned in the second in ways that shocked fans and both films are equally important to understand the greater plot.

Black Panther Is A Great Standalone Movie

After The Winter Soldier, there was one more movie in Captain America's trilogy of films, Civil War. This movie introduced a couple of the main characters in Black Panther. Even though fans will enjoy Black Panther more if they see Civil War first, it's also a great movie for those that have never seen any of the other films in the MCU, while The Winter Soldier can get quite confusing for newcomers to the franchise.
In fact, Black Panther is a great place to start since it focuses on important issues that impact the real world, which not all of the films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe do.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Has More Action Scenes

Action scenes are very important in a superhero film as it is one of the things fans are looking forward to the most. The epic battles throughout the movies are enjoyable and thrilling, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier not only has more action scenes, but they're also better than the ones in Black Panther.

Black Panther Has Fascinating Lore

Though the main plot of Black Panther is great, its lore and worldbuilding are even better, revealing things that were never mentioned in any of the previous films and concepts that make the movie much more enjoyable than it would be if they weren't in it. The Winter Soldier, despite history being important to the plot, focused on things that were already introduced from previous movies. It'll be very interesting to see the lore of Black Panther get expanded upon in future films, especially since there is still a lot of mystery surrounding Wakanda's history.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Has A Better Team Of Heroes

T'Challa and his comrades may be a great team, but they can't compete with Captain America's friends. Falcon, Black Widow, and Nick Fury are some of the most beloved characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

While Falcon was introduced at the beginning of The Winter Soldier, Black Widow and Nick Fury had been in multiple movies before that so fans got to know more about them than the heroes in Black Panther. Because of the skills they have and their role in the franchise, there aren't a lot of characters that would make a better team.

Black Panther's T'Challa Is A Great Leader

Captain America may have stepped up to become a leader among his team in The Winter Soldier, as well as other movies, but he's never had to deal with the responsibilities that come with being king.

As the ruler of Wakanda, T'Challa has to be the best leader he possibly can be, and he does a great job throughout the movie, understanding that he needs to change with the world so he can help other nations, even if it means not being the ruler that his father was. Most of the people he has to lead would also do anything for him, and even the Jabari Tribe helped T'Challa, knowing how greater of a ruler he is.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Has A Great Group Of Villains

There are multiple antagonists in both Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Black Panther. Hydra, a group of antagonists that played an important role in multiple installments throughout the Marvel Cinematic Universe, served as the main antagonists in The Winter Soldier. One of its members, Zola, who was also an antagonist from The First Avenger, made an epic return in its sequel. And when fans found out that the Winter Soldier was Captain America's closest friend, Bucky, they were shocked.

Black Panther's Killmonger Is One Of The MCU's Best Antagonists

Because Bucky was being controlled by Hydra, he isn't as good as the main antagonist from Black Panther, Killmonger. Though Killmonger originally seemed to be just one member of a group of antagonists, he ended up betraying and killing his comrades, which set him up to be a greater villain than anyone from The Winter Soldier on their own. He was also a relatable antagonist to some as well as a more complex character than most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's other villains.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Has A Better Mid-Credits Scene

When it comes to many movies, people will stop watching as soon as the credits begin to roll. However, when it comes to a movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, fans don't want to miss out on the mid and post-credits scenes. In the mid-credits scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch appear, who became important characters in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Scarlet Witch would also go on to be in other movies and have her own show on Disney+. While the mid and post-credits scenes in Black Panther were good, they didn't set up anything big.

Black Panther's Setting Is Better

Wakanda is such a fascinating setting in the MCU. Despite being a country on Earth, Wakanda is a fictional place, making it a great mix between movies in the franchise that take place in other areas on Earth and films that take place in other worlds, like Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy. Wakanda will forever be a magical place and parts of it that haven't been shown yet hopefully will be in the future.

https://www.cbr.com/captain-america-winter-soldier-vs-black-panther-best-movie-mcu/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER - DISNEY+ BP Gets 2 New Spin-Off Series!
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2021, 09:07:23 am »
‘Black Panther’ Disney+ Spin-Off Series Gets a New LLC
By Skyler Shuler

Marvel Studios recently started production on their Black Panther sequel Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. The studio also has two spin-off series in development in the fictional world of Wakanda. Little is known regarding both series’ but thanks to a new report, it looks like one of them is gearing up for pre-production.

According to The Ronin, the upcoming Wakanda series for Disney+ has received an official LLC (limited liability company) attached to it. The LLC goes by Maglev Train Productions.

The LLC seemingly confirms the return to Wakanda, as The Wakandan Maglev Train, seen in Black Panther, is a highly advanced magnetic levitation train used in Wakanda. It is used both for public transportation in the Golden City and for carrying Vibranium at high speed inside the Great Mound. T’Challa and Killmonger had their final battle on the tracks of the train.

Not much is known on the Wakanda series, which the internet is calling The Kingdom of Wakanda. The official announcement on the series came a few months back when Black Panther and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever director Ryan Coogler and his production banner Proximity Media inked a lucrative 5-year TV deal with Disney. Coogler is expected to write and produce on the project. No word yet if he will direct episodes.

That isn’t the only project in the works. A series centered on Okoye, the General of the Dora Milaje and the head of Wakandan armed forces and intel, is also in the works. Danai Gurira will return to the role. Per her lawyer Jamie Mandelbaum, he’s seemingly brokered a deal between the actress and Marvel for her to appear in multiple future projects, which would include her solo series.

We will return to the world of Wakanda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which is set to hit theaters on July 8, 2022.

https://thedisinsider.com/2021/07/05/black-panther-disney-spin-off-series-gets-a-new-llc/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

WATCH THE NEW PREVIEW HERE!!!
https://twitter.com/whatifofficial/status/1413165987852079104?s=20

From the trailer I think I may find the Killmonger What If more to my liking than even T'Challa's, particularly if the narrative is derivative of T'Challa not wanting to be king and choosing to be a guardian of the galaxy instead of the Black Panther of the galaxy. Killmonger saving Stark not only looks interesting but also the start of a beautiful friendship. What If this leads to Stark staying in the weapons industry? What If N'Jadaka worked with him in R&D to create specialized weapons and tech? What If Killmonger wants to become a political force in Wakanda? What if Killmonger gets a dose of the super soldier serum and he and T'Challa engage in ritual combat? This preview has me bristling with ideas.

This preview also showed a young Shuri, the Dora Milajae and what appears to be the Queen Mother rallying them to war against Killmonger who is leading the charge riding a Wakandan war rhino. I didn't see T'Challa and wonder... What If this all occurs during his sojourn with the Guardians of the Galaxy? What If this is the catalyst for him to return and take the throne? What If the Killmonger saga is just part of the T'Challa going to the Guardians. Whoa!

Gotta say Marvel/Disney's animation looks great. Look out DC. Captain Carter also looks impressive and for my time and money that is what I want from the Black Panther, impressive feats not contemplation on his duties and responsibilities or comedic indulgences. If the Killmonger story is indeed part of the T'Challa goes with the Guardians narrative then I think we are in for a very pleasant treat.

See you August 11th.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER - DISNEY+ Loki's Kang... a Black Panther refresher!!!
« Reply #177 on: July 18, 2021, 11:22:50 pm »
Watched the final episode of Loki. Overall I think this was the weakest Disney+ Marvel series of the three. Special effects were subpar. The other variant Lokis were made to look like a joke especially the comedic fodder that was 1980s cosplay Loki.

To add insult to injury, they not only clowned Loki and jobbered him out but they really went overboard with this out of character depiction of Kang the Conqueror.

This left me in need of a serious palate cleansing. So I sought out the animated series Black Panther and Earth Mightiest Heroes (aka Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes) to remind myself what a serious iteration of Kang the Conqueror looks and acts like.

This is Marvels best Avengers animated series and it is good enough to stand up to the Justice League animated series... and that is saying a lot. For the record I don't consider Panther's Quest a part of the Avengers series. It was so masterfully done that it easily stands on it own merit as a Black Panther solo series. Back to Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes... I mean Black Panther and Earth Mightiest Heroes.

Whenever you need a Black panther pick me up.... Whew.

Oh yea, lest we neglect how good the Black Panther looks in live action.

Wakanda Forever! T'Challa Immortal!

Nuff Said!

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2021, 02:17:56 am »
It's a variant of Kang. The others will be coming over the future projects. This Kang is closer two other TVA characters one being a variant of him in the comics.

The cosplay outfit is a running theme across the MCU.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2021, 09:16:44 am »
I haven't had much of an issue with MCU costumes for the most part. I think the movie costumes generally are quite good. And for the most part, I'm okay with the television costuming, even if some of it is too muted, like Daredevil or limited by imagination or budget like the Inhumans and Deathlok on Agents of Shield. I've been impressed with how much money they put into these Disney Plus series and it looked to me like Loki had the biggest budget of them all so far.

As for Loki, if I hadn't known there was a second season before looking at the first season finale I would have a harsher opinion of the finale. It spent a lot of time introducing Jonathan Majors' character and setting up his backstory. I wasn't expecting them to actually have Majors in the series at all, because I was thinking that Feige would want to wait to introduce him on the big screen. However, with the idea of this Kang being a variant it gives them a lot of leeway to introduce various versions of the character in other movies or series.

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with Majors in the finale, similarly to how I felt about JLD in Falcon & Winter Soldier. It was a subversion of expectations to have this variant, who was unthreatening and a bit goofy, be the 'big bad', and while that might work for some, it didn't for me.

I've seen a fan theory that the person behind the TVA should've been another Loki and I would've been fine with that, or even Gugu Mbatha-Raw's character, and they hold off on Kang until later.

As for the season itself, it started intriguing but bogged down in the middle, not unlike the other Disney Plus series, though F/WS rebounded the quickest and the best, then Loki, while WandaVision fell off a cliff. The planet with all the Lokis didn't turn out to be as fun as it had to look on paper. A lot of the season also rode on how you feel about Sylvie and I was just okay with her. I didn't hate the character, but I didn't love her either. Her reveal was a bit underwhelming because I was expecting more of a name actress, someone like Vanessa Kirby (Mission Impossible, Hobbs & Shaw, etc.). Also the weird, almost incestuous kind of relationship between Loki and Sylvie didn't work for me. And I felt the series too quickly turned this Loki from villain to anti-hero to genuine hero and I wish they had kept some of his edge, some of his ambiguity.

Right now, I'm not as thrilled with Kang as I was with that end credit scene for Avengers. The good thing is we might get to see Majors doing various versions and perhaps when the 'real' Kang shows up he'll have that menace I'm looking for.