Author Topic: SPENSER CONFIDENTIAL  (Read 399 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
SPENSER CONFIDENTIAL
« on: March 08, 2020, 11:09:21 pm »
Dug the trailer, and my son is interested but not truly sold.  It's hard to get him to watch a movie.  But I just put it on and he enjoys it!  Wants to see a sequel.  Me too!

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: SPENSER CONFIDENTIAL
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 12:02:11 pm »
One thing I enjoyed about Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels and the earlier cinematic iterations was that Hawk was never written as a sidekick. He was a kickass colleague on equal footing and in some ways advanced status to that of Spenser himself. What I did not like about the DeBerg/Wahlberg rendition is the relegation of Hawk to a sidekick. Love Winston Duke and he could have been so much more than Wahlberg's white knight's second.

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 12:20:03 pm »
One thing I enjoyed about Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels and the earlier cinematic iterations was that Hawk was never written as a sidekick. He was a kickass colleague on equal footing and in some ways advanced status to that of Spenser himself. What I did not like about the DeBerg/Wahlberg rendition is the relegation of Hawk to a sidekick. Love Winston Duke and he could have been so much more than Wahlberg's white knight's second.

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont
You read the books!  Thanks for the insight, I didn't know.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 05:00:40 pm »
My pleasure. I have A small collection of Parker's work which I've found to be light, enjoyable reading, but the 80's TV series originally caught my attention, especially when they introduced a personal idol, Avery Brooks as Hawk! The Spenser Confidential story lists a book by Ace Atkins as the source and changes the characters suiting Wahlberg's macho leading man Schlick. Not mad at him, but I much prefer the original material where Spenser and Hawk were respectful rivals of mostly equal skills. It was nice to see Winston Duke cut loose on some cats though!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:15:43 am »
I agree with Kimoya. Parker's Hawk is very much an independent contractor and his own man to an extreme. Occasionally, he and Spenser help each other out or have common interests but he's never a sidekick. Parker also has this mystique about some kind of honor code shared among them and other characters where one's word is bond (Henry Cimoli, Quirk, Belson, a few others). When Hawk is introduced in the Spenser series, they are on opposite sides but Hawk's code of ethics causes him to side with Spenser against his lacking-in-honor employer of the moment. The conceit is that they are almost the same except for Hawk being black and having fewer scruples than Spenser. It's interesting but problematic as you might expect.

(I've read far more of them than I care to admit...)
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 10:01:59 pm »
I agree with Kimoya. Parker's Hawk is very much an independent contractor and his own man to an extreme. Occasionally, he and Spenser help each other out or have common interests but he's never a sidekick. Parker also has this mystique about some kind of honor code shared among them and other characters where one's word is bond (Henry Cimoli, Quirk, Belson, a few others). When Hawk is introduced in the Spenser series, they are on opposite sides but Hawk's code of ethics causes him to side with Spenser against his lacking-in-honor employer of the moment. The conceit is that they are almost the same except for Hawk being black and having fewer scruples than Spenser. It's interesting but problematic as you might expect.

(I've read far more of them than I care to admit...)
Man I am straight behind on my reading. 

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 01:34:02 pm »
The Parker books are page-turners; fun, fairly quick reads, but still with far more depth than the DeBerg/Wahlberg reboot, as Curt deftly elaborated.

Reg, I have a collection of pulp novels featuring The Shadow and Doc Savage which are shallow but a helluva lot of fun! I often thought it would be dope for someone to update Doc and his Amazing Five for the screen today with a multi-cultural cast. The Rock could be great for the lead and there are all kind of hints that Doc is of mixed heritage.

Just a thought... ;)

Peace,

Mont

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 01:25:16 pm »
The Parker books are page-turners; fun, fairly quick reads, but still with far more depth than the DeBerg/Wahlberg reboot, as Curt deftly elaborated.
Again, I fully agree with this assessment of the reboot vis a vis the books. (And thanks, Mont)
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."