Author Topic: Trouble in Limbo  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
Trouble in Limbo
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:18:11 pm »
Catholic Church buries limbo after centuries By Philip Pullella
Fri Apr 20, 2:21 PM ET

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went.

In a long-awaited document, the Church's International Theological Commission said limbo reflected an "unduly restrictive view of salvation."

The 41-page document was published on Friday by Origins, the documentary service of the U.S.-based Catholic News Service, which is part of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Pope Benedict, himself a top theologian who before his election in 2005 expressed doubts about limbo, authorized the publication of the document, called "The Hope of Salvation for Infants Who Die Without Being Baptised."

The verdict that limbo could now rest in peace had been expected for years. The document was seen as most likely the final word since limbo was never part of Church doctrine, even though it was taught to Catholics well into the 20th century.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070420/ts_nm/pope_limbo_dc
...Rassclaat.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble in Limbo
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:11:29 pm »
Doesn't this feel like a real world version of INFINITE CRISIS? 

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:59:16 am »
ie: Rewrite the rules so that our storylines will flow better?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:47:31 am »
Heh, I was going to say "That's one heck of a comparison Reg", but Mastrmynd puts it into perspective. It appears that the current revision concerns only Limbo for unbaptized babies and not Limbo for the great men in history like Plato.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:39:08 am by Toya »
...Rassclaat.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:23:47 am »
Catholic Church buries limbo after centuries By Philip Pullella
Fri Apr 20, 2:21 PM ET

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went.

In a long-awaited document, the Church's International Theological Commission said limbo reflected an "unduly restrictive view of salvation."

The 41-page document was published on Friday by Origins, the documentary service of the U.S.-based Catholic News Service, which is part of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Pope Benedict, himself a top theologian who before his election in 2005 expressed doubts about limbo, authorized the publication of the document, called "The Hope of Salvation for Infants Who Die Without Being Baptised."

The verdict that limbo could now rest in peace had been expected for years. The document was seen as most likely the final word since limbo was never part of Church doctrine, even though it was taught to Catholics well into the 20th century.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070420/ts_nm/pope_limbo_dc

The Prodestant's holy rollers never HAD limbo, As far as I know. You abort a fetus? It's going to hell. Crib death in Ethiopia? Hell.Trip and fall on the way to Baptism? Too bad. Hell.

The Catholic Theologians don't like where this train of logic took them (limbo is as bad as hell when you actually thing about it) so they jumped off.

As the article states, limbo isn't actully taught in Catholic dogma, so this is pretty much hair splitting. 

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:25:42 am »
ie: Rewrite the rules so that our storylines will flow better?
Nah, Superboy punched the Pope until history changed.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo