Author Topic: First look at CW's Black Lightning  (Read 19488 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:36:47 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:44:44 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: First look at CW's Black Lightning
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2020, 01:52:40 pm »
Decided to check out the Black Lightning Season 3 finale. Overall I thought it was a good episode, lots of action and some major moments happened for the series.

I had been drawn back before to see Wayne Brady on the show and he didn't disappoint both times I've seen him. I thought his Gravedigger villain was like a mix of Magneto, Killmonger, and comics Black Manta with a Isiah Bradley backstory, with the powers of Rogue or Amazo tossed in. He was formidable. Though Black Lightning could do better in the villain department overall, I do give them credit for how they use some of their best villains like Tobias Whale, Agent Odell, Tattooed Man, and Gravedigger. They don't toss these people away as quickly as some of the Arrowverse series do.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
They even used the last crossover to bring Jill Scott's Lady Eve back, one of the big missed opportunities of the first season.

The finale even had a big death
(the Commissioner Gordon-like Henderson)
and the end
of the ASA
, so season four looks to be doing something different, which I think is good.
I am glad that Gravedigger survived.

This season finale did not sell me on going back to watching BL regularly again but I will still give it a shot if there's an episode or character on there that intrigues me. The series could still work on villain costumes and giving them a bit more flair.

Had forgotten to add one of the coolest things about the finale
was the cameo with BL's creators. That was a very nice touch.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:15:38 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2020, 04:46:54 am »
http://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/30/the-cws-black-lightning-where-the-3rd-season-went-wrong-and-how-the-4th-can-rebound/

Though I can relate to the writer's disappointment with Black Lightning I think his solutions are contradictory. In one breath he wants Black Lightning to go in otherworldly directions, tying Lightning to Icon by blood, which I don't agree with, even though I would love to see the Milestone characters on this program. In the next breath, he wants Season 4 to get street level again, but yet, he also decries the 'wokeness' and 'virtual-signaling' of the writers. Focusing on street-level villains and issues seemingly would invite more of the kind of woke writing the writer dislikes as the episodes would or could tackle various social ills on a weekly basis.

My 'solutions' for Black Lightning would be to actually make Black Lightning the main character, keep the focus on his journey, but also provide enough subplots for the supporting characters, but this should stay a series about Jefferson Pierce. Bring more villains on that can challenge and kill the Pierce family. DC has tons of them. I also think they should take advantage of being part of the Arrowverse and do more crossovers and bring some villains over from other series.

Some that come to mind:

Villains:
The Quadrant: An intriguing, but underused crime organization on Arrow in Season 6. This group could rival the 100.
Clock King: A calculating villain. It doesn't have to be the same Clock King that was on Arrow and I also think was on Flash.  In the New 52 he was race bent and made black and perhaps that would be the way to go with him.
Mr. Blank: J. August Richards played a memorable killer on Arrow and could be pretty cool to see tangle with Lightning and Gambi.
Silencer: Her powerset is simple enough to recreate.
Shadow Thief
Peek-A-Boo
Ragdoll
Bloodsport
A new Deathbolt
Cyber-Woman

Heroes:
Vixen
Samanda Watson
Ben Turner
Firestorm
John Diggle
James Olsen
Justice Society (a WW2 adventure with them and Gravedigger would be sweet)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:27:17 am by Emperorjones »

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2020, 07:06:44 pm »
Agree after watching all 3 seasons- make Black Lightning front and center again and stop with all the over the top and annoying woke stuff especially with his eldest daughter.  Jefferson should definitely be the focal point each season and then bring his daughters in to support him- not challenge his authority.