Author Topic: You Tube: Red Lion: DC's Extremist Version of Black Panther  (Read 823 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:48:11 pm by Emperorjones »

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: You Tube: Red Lion: DC's Extremist Version of Black Panther
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 04:37:05 pm »
He said his villain status was ambiguous. Lol.

I guess he missed the part where RL had dump trucks of Muslims put into a mass grave and used slade as a go between to the Senate to keep a no fly zone from being put in place.

I think DC has little to nothing to do with his creation. The only person who uses him is Priest. If they wanted to push him, he'd be all over.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 11:12:09 pm »
I'm really liking this thread...and I really like Priest's writing process, his grasp of character and the writer's responsibilities, etc.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 04:49:09 am »
Red Lion is a cool looking character. I got one Justice League issue with him and looking forward to seeing more of the character. I've bought a lot of the Christoper Priest Deathstroke run but have yet to get into it. I need to check to see if I have any of his Justice League run, I got so many comics now I forget.

Unlike the first You Tuber I also took it that Red Lion was not something DC necessarily wanted, but an opportunity for Priest to return to one of his most celebrated runs and perhaps to reappraise the character or play around with him. Perhaps Red Lion is how Priest gets to take his T'Challa fully over into the Machiavellian/Magneto kind of character.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:53:15 am by Emperorjones »

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 05:21:44 am »
I would say its more like a commentary on African brutal dictators. And their relationship with the west. He just happens to dress like Tchalla which doesn't fully happen until 10 months into the run.

Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 11:17:14 am »
Thanks for breaking that down. First time I saw the character was on the cover of a Justice League issue, so I was guessing that's how he started. I didn't even know he was in the Deathstroke book like that, but seeing that Priest was writing Deathstroke along with Justice League at the same time for a minute, I get it now.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile