Author Topic: Former Marvel Editor Asks Woman to Leash Dog, Has Police Called on Him  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
From the article:

MARVEL editor, Christian Cooper

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Wednesday, 27th May 2o2o
White ***** Who Called Police On Black Bird-Watcher In Central Park Has Been Fired
by Brakkton Booker

A black man says he asked a white woman in Central Park to put her dog on a leash.

Then video shows her calling police and telling emergency operators that the man was threatening her and her dog.

The woman, who has been identified as Amy Cooper, has apologized.

But by Tuesday afternoon she was fired from her job at an investment management firm, the employer said.

The man who shot the video of the encounter, Christian Cooper, told NPR Tuesday evening, what the woman did was "pretty crappy without a doubt."

But, wonders if the response to her actions was "really proportionate."

"I'm not sure that her one minute of poor decision-making, bad judgment and, without question, racist response necessarily has to define her completely," Christian Cooper said.

Her now former employer, Franklin Templeton, said in a statement posted to Twitter she had been fired, less than a day after announcing she was placed on administrative leave.

"Following our internal review of the incident in Central Park yesterday, we have made the decision to terminate the employee involved, effective immediately. We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton," the company said.

After video of the encounter was posted to social media, Amy Cooper said her behavior was "unacceptable."

"And you know words are just words and I can't undo what I did. But I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone. Especially to that man, his family," she said in an interview with NBC New York on Monday evening.

NPR has requested comment from Amy Cooper but she has not immediately responded.

Christian Cooper said he found the level of attention his recorded interaction with the woman is "a little stunning" and also shared empathy for Amy Cooper.

"It makes me concerned because if it was this stunning for me, I can only imagine what it must have been like for Ms. Cooper," Christian Cooper said.

"I know I'm not supposed to feel that way, but, you know, it's got to be harsh."

Since Christian Cooper recorded part of their encounter Monday, it has since been viewed hundreds of thousands of times on social media.

The Ramble is a wooded area of Central Park, where dogs are required to be leashed.

According to Christian Cooper, he started recording after asking the woman to leash her dog.

The woman is seen in the video approaching the man, holding the dog's leash in one hand and pulling her dog by the collar with her other hand.

"Please don't come close to me," he says, appearing not to move closer to her or retreat from her advancement.

As she approaches, she tells him she is going to take a picture of him and call police if he didn't stop recording her.

Christian Cooper tells her calmly,

"Please call the cops. Please call the cops."

"I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life," she responds.

She backs away from him and places the call while continuing to drag the dog by its collar.

"I'm in the Ramble, and there's a man, African American, he's got a bicycle helmet. He's recording me and threatening me and my dog," she said.

She repeats herself once more, though Christian Cooper never appears to come any closer to her.

By the third time, she is yelling into the phone with far more panic in her voice.

"I'm sorry. I can't hear. Are you there? I'm being threatened by a man into the Ramble. Please send the cops immediately!" she screams.

The encounter is being highlighted as another example of a white person calling law enforcement to report black people for doing seemingly banal things.

"Obviously, I was aware of what the threat was," Christian Cooper said to NPR.

"She was threatening to bring the machine that has so long ground us black people to powder ... solely on the basis of our black skin, down on my head on the word of, you know, an innocent young white woman."

He said in the moment he had a choice, "participate in my own dehumanization" or continue recording until the dog was on the leash.

That is where the video that runs roughly 70 seconds ends, with Amy Cooper putting the leash on her dog and Christian Cooper saying

"Thank You."

Amy Cooper's dog has been "voluntarily surrendered," according to statement posted on Fakebook by the Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue Inc.

"As of this evening, the owner has voluntarily surrendered the dog in question to our rescue while this matter is being addressed," the group said.

The dog was adopted from the rescue a few years ago, the group added.

It reported the dog is "safe and in good health" and said it will not be making any further statements on the matter.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/862230724/white-woman-who-called-police-on-black-bird-watcher-in-central-park-placed-on-le

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
good that she is fired. unfortunately I suspect she'll "bounce back" with limited problems.

there has to be federal legislation to penalize all of these false-crime 911 calls and formal police reports.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
good that she is fired. unfortunately I suspect she'll "bounce back" with limited problems.

there has to be federal legislation to penalize all of these false-crime 911 calls and formal police reports.

--- but wait, there's more, Hype!

Wednesday, 2th May 2o2o
Human rights panel investigating white ***** with unleashed dog who called 911 on black man in Central Park
by Thomas Tracy

(MANHATTAN, NEW YORK) — New York City’s Commission on Human Rights has launched an investigation into the clash in Central Park where a white woman sparked outrage when she called 911 on a black man after he asked her to put her dog on a leash, officials said.

The agency, which is mandated to fight discrimination in the five boroughs, announced their probe late Tuesday and has sent a letter to Amy Cooper asking her to cooperate with their investigation.

“At a time when the devastating impacts of racism in Black communities have been made so painfully clear — from racial disparities in COVID-19 outcomes, to harassment of essential workers on the frontlines — it is appalling to see these types of ugly threats directed at one New Yorker by another,” Sapna Raj, Deputy Commissioner of the Law Enforcement Bureau at the NYC Commission on Human Rights, said in a statement.

“Efforts to intimidate black people by threatening to call law enforcement draw on a long, violent and painful history, and they are unacceptable.”

If Cooper is found guilty by the commission, she could face a fine or be assigned sensitivity training.

The agency could also award damages to Christian Cooper, the birder Amy Cooper called 911 on during their 8 a.m. interaction in Central Park’s Ramble on Monday.

According to Christian Cooper, a former editor at Marvel Comics who filmed part of their encounter, he asked Amy Cooper to leash her dog Henry, then offered her pooch a treat when she refused, hoping it would cause her to reconsider.

Instead, Amy grabbed her dog and angrily demanded Christian turn off his phone.

“I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life,” Amy Cooper says in the video, after telling Christian Cooper she was calling cops.

“I’m in the Ramble, and there’s a man, African American,” she tells the operator, her voice rising with hysteria as Henry thrashes around to free himself from a seeming choke hold on his collar.

“I’m being threatened,” she starts to yell.

“Please send the cops immediately!”

The video, shared on social media by Christian’s sister Melody, quickly went viral.

As a result, Amy Cooper was fired from her job at investment company Franklin Templeton.

Critics want Amy Cooper charged with filing a false report, but neither she nor Christian were around when cops arrived, so no report was taken.

Deputy Commissioner Benjamin Tucker on Tuesday said cops weren’t going to pursue the matter.

Amy Cooper during an interview with CNN said that this experience has destroyed her life.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/human-rights-panel-investigating-woman-with-unleashed-dog-who-called-911-on-black-man-in-central-park/ar-BB14Gc0A?ocid=spartanntp
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:22:59 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
--- and more!

Thursday, 28th May 2o2o
White man loses office lease after viral video shows him calling police on black entrepreneurs using building's gym
by J. Edward Moreno

A white Minneapolis venture capitalist's office lease was terminated after a viral video showed him questioning black entrepreneurs using the gym in a building of which they were all tenants, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Wednesday.

Tom Austin, the managing partner of F2 Group, threatened to call the police on the group of black men on Tuesday.

The men are the owners of Top Figure, a Minneapolis-based social media and branding agency.

They work out of a WeWork coworking space in the building and are allowed to use the amenities.

Austin ultimately called the building manager, who confirmed the men have a lease in the building.

He told the Tribune that his actions led to his company losing its lease in the building.

"Should have handled it differently," he said in an email to the Tribune.

"Not my job to have done anything."

Top Figure posted the video of the exchange to its Instagram page.

"I'm Tom Austin," the man says in the video.

"I'm a tenant in the building. Are you?"

In the Instagram caption, the men accused Austin of "racial profiling and age discrimination" and tagged the building's Instagram page.

"As you guys can see, we're dealing with racism here," one man said in the video.

Austin insisted to the Tribune he was not being racist and was upholding a building policy that allows only tenants to use amenities.

He said he saw one of them open the door to the gym with a key fob and let the rest in before the group got "aggressive."

He told the Tribune that by the end of the exchange, he was on "talking terms" with the men.

The incident comes just days after a video of a white Minneapolis police officer kneeling on the neck of George Floyd until he died of asphyxiation went viral.

The death of Floyd, an African American man, led to massive protests in the city and calls for an investigation into the officers behavior.

Stuart Ackerberg, CEO of Ackerberg Group, which owns the MoZaic East building, said he was still heartbroken from seeing the video of Floyd when he decided to terminate the lease.

"My heart hurts," he told the Tribune.

"This is not how we do business. ... I'm alarmed by what I saw."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Friday, 25th June  Twenty One
The 'I'm not a racist' defense
by Elliot Williams

Amy Cooper's apology -- which began "I am not a racist. I did not mean to harm that man in any way" -- after her infamous confrontation in Central Park reminded me of an incident in 2008, when I was a mid-level staffer on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

I was among a group of African American staff who overheard a very senior senator make a comment that, were I in a mood to be charitable, I would describe as "racially insensitive."

But I'm not, so let's call it what it was: racist.

It was ugly enough that the following morning he was in full damage-control mode, placing personal apology phone calls to every black staffer who was present and may have overheard his remark.

I will never forget how the call started.

The senator greeted me by name, introduced himself, and said he was sorry for what I had heard the previous day.

"It's not who I am. I'm not that way," he told me.

Multiple times during the conversation, he returned to the same theme -- that regardless of whatever I heard, he wasn't the horrible person I might assume him to be.

It remains one of the more remarkable conversations I've ever had: ten minutes of listening to a guy apologize for doing something racist, despite an almost comical inability to bring himself to even say the word "racist."

By now, you've probably seen the viral video of Amy Cooper weaponizing her privilege faster than you can say the words "race card."

Prior to filming the incident, Christian Cooper (no relation), who is black, asked Amy Cooper to leash her dog as per park rules.

According to an account of the incident that Christian Cooper posted on fakebook along with the viral footage, he then told her, "Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

("I didn't know what that meant. When you're alone in a wooded area, that's absolutely terrifying, right?" Amy Cooper later expressed to CNN.)

Christian Cooper then started filming, and their exchange prompted Amy Cooper to call the cops in hysterics, pleading with them to send officers because, she claimed, she was being threatened by an African American man.

Most chilling is that prior to calling the police, she warned Christian Cooper that she would call the cops to "tell them there's an African American man threatening [her] life," a claim that any objective viewer would find laughable.

I'll get back to Amy Cooper's own flawed apology and what we can draw from it in a moment.

But first, to anyone trying to wring their hands about what is and isn't racist, let me ask a basic question:

Why did she immediately bring up Christian Cooper's race when threatening to call the police, prior to even dialing?

It's as if she needed to remind him that even though he was legally in the right and was the one holding the camera, she held all the societal power.

Could she have been well aware of the numerous, tragic encounters between black men and boys and police (or renegade white men with shotguns taking the law into their own hands)?

Or as a white woman, did she just have a hunch that the public would reflexively trust her account of the situation over his?

It's hard to imagine otherwise.

Nevertheless, it seems she knew afterward that she'd stepped in it.

Not unlike the Senator, she gave what she considered to be an apology, claiming she meant no harm to Christian Cooper.

And in doing so, she spoke in a manner reminiscent of many people far more famous than she who sought to absolve themselves by boasting of their racial virtue.

From chef Paula Deen's plea to be judged by "what's in the heart," despite her use of ethnic slurs, to NASCAR driver Kyle Larson's reminder that "[he] wasn't raised that way" (as if we'd asked), or squirrely apologies from Madonna, Charlie Sheen, Paris Hilton, Tim Allen and countless others, offenders often seem to try to get a pass from actual contrition by merely saying (or convincing themselves) they're not racist.

Amy Cooper was not widely known prior to this event, and likely doesn't have access to the same public relations resources as rich celebrities who have apologized for their behavior.

She is also, of course, human, and her full character is defined by more than a singular moment caught on tape, however shameful.

But it is still important to understand the impact Amy Cooper's actions could have had.

With this in mind, let's play out the case of the two Coopers of Central Park, and take Amy Cooper at her word that she's not a racist (whatever that means).

Then what?

What if police had arrived at the scene, guns drawn, responding to the screams of a white damsel (with a cute dog, to boot) in distress?

How could that scene have ended differently for the black man falsely accused of threatening her life?

Had this ended in tragedy, would it matter that she had the decency to have never previously turned a fire hose on a black person or hung a noose at one's home?

No.

Regardless of her intent, her actions could have carried profound, racist consequences.

And she had to -- or at least ought to -- have known that.

In this case, and in so many others, words and actions matter.

Both can be racist.

Both often are.

Or, put another way, perhaps Amy Cooper is a racist.

Perhaps she isn't.

It doesn't matter.

How she chooses to define herself is irrelevant to the question of what the impact of her (actually racist) actions was.

All of this flows from white people's deep fear of the word "racist," which many evidently see as "the absolute worst, most vile thing you can call a person," as former Maine Governor Paul LePage once put it.

This line of thinking seems to be that if being racist is an unforgivable sin, happening to do an occasional racist thing can be immediately forgiven by one's simply not being racist to the core.

Easy enough.

But this disregards the notion that more often than not in matters or race, it's the consequences (and not the intent) that cause the hurt.

Moreover, embedded in this attitude is the perverse notion that white people get to set the terms of the debate over what is racist.

Maybe it's me, but as someone who has actually been called a "nigger" by white people more times than I care to count, I think I'm in a far better position to decide who has done something racist than, say, former "Seinfeld" star Michael Richards.

The actor apologized and claimed he, too, was not a racist after being filmed onstage in an extended rant shouting at a black man, "fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a fvcking fork up your ass... A nigger, look, there's a nigger!"

Comedian Chris Rock summed the issue up perfectly when he asked,

"what do you got to do, shoot Medgar Evers to be a racist?"

White people could start with acknowledging in their apologies that even good people are capable of doing racist things.

A real expression of contrition should include:

"I'm ashamed that I was capable of doing something so racist."

Or, "How I was raised decades ago is irrelevant; I did something racist today, and am sorry."

Or perhaps, "I don't think I harbor actual animus, but regardless of whether I do, I have work to do."

If you are a white person who is ever in a position to apologize for something racist, try that approach next time.

You'll be a lot more credible to those tasked with forgiving you.

And if it's to me, who knows?

I (probably) won't even accuse you of being that way.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:33:17 am by Battle »