Author Topic: Voice your Opinion "SMALL WORLD!!!"  (Read 18093 times)

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
Re: Voice your Opinion "SMALL WORLD!!!"
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 01:36:57 am »

I want to get me an african spear and put on display in my house.  Take one of those over them clumsy guns kids accidentally kill themselves with every day

:D  True. The average American child would be most likely to kill themselves with a gun than with a spear.

In an earlier post, I included a link attached to an image of Kenya's national flag to demonstrate to our friends posting to this topic, that Africans have a sense of pride in those traditional weapons with which they fought for their freedom and their lives. I'm not sure that relating the following tidbit of information will help or hinder matters, but there is a famous picture of the founder of the Black Panther Party, Huey Newton, wearing the signature Panther black beret, seated in a large chai, holding a rifle in one hand and a spear in the other.

A black warrior - no matter his national origin - recognizes the noble significance of the spear.

TRUE INDEED!  LIke I said any idiot can use a gun but a spear takes SKELLZ!
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 10:25:49 am »

I want to get me an african spear and put on display in my house.  Take one of those over them clumsy guns kids accidentally kill themselves with every day

:D  True. The average American child would be most likely to kill themselves with a gun than with a spear.

In an earlier post, I included a link attached to an image of Kenya's national flag to demonstrate to our friends posting to this topic, that Africans have a sense of pride in those traditional weapons with which they fought for their freedom and their lives. I'm not sure that relating the following tidbit of information will help or hinder matters, but there is a famous picture of the founder of the Black Panther Party, Huey Newton, wearing the signature Panther black beret, seated in a large chai, holding a rifle in one hand and a spear in the other.

A black warrior - no matter his national origin - recognizes the noble significance of the spear.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 06:59:41 am »

Well Done, voodoochild!

Thank you.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 02:13:11 am »
Whoa!! I understand I am a newbie here and this reply is waayy late, but what are you guys talking about ???? I agree with Jakuta. That movie's depiction of BP and Wakanda was WHACK!!! You can say all you want about the vibranium tip spears and all that, but the representation was still this backward, primitive culture that is supposed to be one, of if not the MOST, technological on the planet and they were using spears against aliens and Ult Avengers who were routing them. If you go with some of the explanations of shields that can withstand the alien weapons and the African garb being ceremonial or whatever, it still came across as a "Tarzan" like image of Africa when not even the poorest country in Africa has a military that doesn't use modern weapons with it's soldiers. Now, if the movie had shown a mix of Wakanda's soldiers, some with shields and spears and others dressed and using modern or futuristic equipment (like Priest did in his comic series on occasion), I wouldn't have found the movie insulting.

And let's go deeper...A few of you said you were glad to at least see you favorite character depicted in this movie. But they depicted him pretty weak (with a weak a@# older costume) and couldn't win a fight against anyone with out help. Isn't this one of the very underlying issues that many of us believe that some fanboys are angry with Hudlin's BP because he is strong, smart and kicks butt? Shoot! in the final battle with the alien leader he had to have Cap's help and even then he turned into some half panther monster to do it. And let's not forget that when Cap and BP first met Cap beats him up, throws him out a window and down a building and was about to continue whipping is a@# until Nick Fury showed up and stopped him. You didn't see any of the strategist, cunning warrior, super intelligent hero that even Jack Kirby showed back in the day, forgetting how even HE depicted Wakanda as a whole.

I understand what you are talking about that blacks should not be turned off by certain aspects of African culture, such as the spear. Hey, I am a big proponent of that myself. But I don't believe that applies here and I don't believe the creators of the Ultimate Avengers 2 story (none who happened to be of African descent) were thinking about that when they put out that movie.

Finally, I went to the Ultimate Avengers 2 site when that movie came out to list my concerns there. When I saw the page their were seceral posts, all of them expressing the same criticisms I and Jakuta had. Unfortunately, when I tried to add my comments the site would not accept any further submissions even though there were only three or four listed! I'm not saying the moderator shut down the visitor submission, but I have to admit it sure did seem too coincidental.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:35:06 am by Evasive1 »

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 08:59:14 am »
Welcome brother, and thanks for your comment. Yea we had a week or two long discussion about this. Overall every body came away mixed impressed by the movie. We all loved the ideal behind it but it lacked execution in some parts. The spear is at least equal to the sword and both are less then guns.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 03:05:15 pm »
Whoa!! I understand I am a newbie here and this reply is waayy, but what are you guys talking about?? I agree with Jakuta. That movie's depiction of BP and Wakanda was WHACK!!! You can say all you want about the vibranium tip spears and all that, but the representation was still this backward, primitive culture that is supposed to be one of if not the MOST technological on the planet and they were using spears against the aliens and Avengers who were routing them. If you go with some of the explanations of shields that can withstand the alien weapons and the African garb being ceremonial or whatever, it still came across as a "Tarzan" like image of Africa when not even the poorest country in Africa has a military that doesn't use modern weapons with it's soldiers. Now, if the movie had shown a mix of Wakanda's soldiers, some with shields and spears and others dressed and using modern or futuristic equipment (like Priest did in his comic series on occasion), I wouldn't have found the movie insulting.

And let's go deeper...A few of you said you were glad to at least see you favorite character depicted in this movie. But they depicted him pretty weak (with a weak a@# older costume) and couldn't win a fight against anyone with out help. Isn't this one of the very underlying issues that many of us believe that some fanboys are angry with Hudlin's BP because he is strong, smart and kicks butt? Shoot! in the final battle with the alien leader he had to have Cap's help and even then he turned into some half panther monster to do it. And let's not forget that when Cap and BP first met Cap beats him up, throws him out a window and down a building and was about to continue whipping is a@# until Nick Fury showed up and stopped him. You didn't see any of the strategist, cunning warrior, super intelligent hero that even Jack Kirby showed back in the day, forgetting how even HE depicted Wakanda as a whole.

I understand what you are talking about that blacks should not be turned off by certain aspects of African culture, such as the spear. Hey, I am a big proponent of that myself. But I don't believe that applies here and I don't believe the creators of the Ultimate Avengers 2 story (none who happened to be of African descent) were thinking about that when they put out that movie.

Finally, I went to the Ultimate Avengers 2 site when that movie came out to list my concerns there. When I saw the page their were seceral posts, all of them expressing the same criticisms I and Jakuta had. Unfortunately, when I tried to add my comments the site would not accept any further submissions even though there were only three or four listed! I'm not saying the moderator shut down the visitor submission, but I have to admit it sure did seem too coincidental.

I didn't like the depiction at all.I haven't seen the whole movie,but I saw the clips in question on Youtube.Now,even the allowing them the greatest possible lattitude that I'm aware of,I still find the "spear chucking" image to be offensive and sans the IN-STORY justification that we are talking about.In other words,there isn't a scene that I'm aware of IN THE MOVIE DURING THE FIGHTING that explain that the Wakandans are using vibranium-enhanced weaponry.There isn't an IN-STORY EXPLANATION (hell,Samuel Jackson...er,Nick Fury,could've done it when he and Cap and BP spoke together and NICK was explaining to CAP about Wakanda later) stating that Wakanda has both "tribal" elements in the outskirts away from the cities and yet their cities are the most technologically advanced in the world.It would've been the city-dwelling tech that would have read the approach of the aliens and it would've been the formidable high tech weaponry from the high-tech areas that would have fired on the invaders and dropped them from the sky in the first place.

The creators didn't do this.I think purposefully.Because their target group was mostly White guys who don't want to see that about Africa.

Furthermore,TChalla got straight handled by CAP.I'm sayin CAP put HANDS on TChalla...after the writers made it clear that the hott ass Russian superspy BW was crushin on CAP,and after CAP did the alpha-male brush off of her.What is conveyed here is a clear inferiority of both BP and Wakanda...even though these same Wakandans did well against The Avengers...er,Ultimates.But even in those instances there's a backhanded element to it.How could they take down IRON MAN but get scattered by THE WASP? They didn't underestimate her because their plan was to defeat THE AVENGERS as a whole.Where were their spears then? Hahaha.What I am saying here is that the image of even THE BEST AFRICA HAS TO OFFER IS STILL BACKWARDS (Wakandans) and STILL CAN'T EQUAL OUR BEST (Captain America defeats BP in their brief tussle in a one sided fashion) is the main message being sent.To be fair,it explains how THE AVENGERS+ WAKANDA could defeat the aliens. But also,to me,the message is clear: even at their peak and left to their own devices,Black folks still need our help to do what they want to do.

Btw,I like spears.I have a catalogue with several different types,and I'm debating as to which I should buy first.But I prefer pistols,knives,etc.And yeah,I intend to be dope with the spear.I'll devise a throwing program similar to the javelin throw in track,and of course hand to hand you know how I'll do the Chaka Zulu assegai/quarterstaff combo fighting style.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 05:50:43 pm »
When Black Panther first appeared in the FF his country had laser cannons along its border defenses.
That's my two cents.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:56:00 pm by Open palm »
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 04:50:34 pm »
When Black Panther first appeared in the FF his country had laser cannons along its border defenses.
That's my two cents.

Nuff said
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 05:20:57 pm »
That's my two cents.

Nuff said

True, but that was 616 Panther.  This is Ultimate Panther.  Different dude.  Different Wakanda.  I'm not defending some of the choices the Ultimate creators made, but I think it's unfair to compare this Panther with the 616 one.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 08:00:02 pm »
Ultimate BP didn't meet my full expectations. The feline transformation wouldn't bet so ridiculous if it didn't come off as his own style of Hulking out. I don't understand why the Wakandans didn't study more of the technology of the fallen ship.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 09:19:11 pm »
That's my two cents.

Nuff said

True, but that was 616 Panther.  This is Ultimate Panther.  Different dude.  Different Wakanda.  I'm not defending some of the choices the Ultimate creators made, but I think it's unfair to compare this Panther with the 616 one.

I'm aware of that,bruh,and never misconstrued the two.But my point about the lack of "in-story explanation" about the vibranium tipped spears and the complete ignoring of high-tech weaponry that was utilized to drop the invaders in the first place (or am I wrong about that? Didn't the Wakandans SHOOT DOWN the aliens?) being deployed against THE ULTIMATES when they came to Wakanda.Weren't the Wakandans using spears and whatnot against IRON MAN?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 07:10:05 am »
That's my two cents.

Nuff said

I'm aware of that,bruh,and never misconstrued the two.But my point about the lack of "in-story explanation" about the vibranium tipped spears and the complete ignoring of high-tech weaponry that was utilized to drop the invaders in the first place (or am I wrong about that? Didn't the Wakandans SHOOT DOWN the aliens?) being deployed against THE ULTIMATES when they came to Wakanda.Weren't the Wakandans using spears and whatnot against IRON MAN?

My reply wasnt necessarily directed toward you, Supreme.  It was mostly directed at the posters who were disappointed that the animated Ultimate Panther wasnt like 616 comic book Panther.

GrimSkill

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 08:12:00 am »
This is just another in a Looooooooonnnnng line of things that Make Me Detest and Despise the Ultimate Universe even more.

If the Ultimate Comic book Version of T'Challa is just like the little Weak @$$ Movie Version of T'Challa then I won't be picking up the Ultimate Avengers Comic Ether.

I HATE the Ultimate Universe >.<

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 08:46:21 am »
Word, Brother Grim!  :D

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 08:58:50 am »
So far,I like Ultimates and Ultimate X-MEN...and of course ULTIMATE SPIDEY.I like Ultimate Elektra.So far that's all I know...I don't really really follow the Ultimate Universe...I just read the books MILLAR wrote and then ULTIMATE SPIDEY is Bendis,right? That pretty much sums up my take on the Ultimate Universe...
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: