Author Topic: The JSA's Mr. Terrific Thread  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The JSA's Mr. Terrific Thread
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:54:23 am »
Much has been made of the "Larger Comics Fanbase" (hereafter referred to as the LCF 'cause I type slow) resistance to highly competent Black Male characters.

This doesn't seem to be the case with Mr. Terrific. From what I've seen on "teh internets" he actully has a strong following.

He's esentially a African American T'challa without the Kingship (super genius, master martial artist and wealthy).

He currently appears in both Checkmate and JSA. During the last JSA run he was the team leader and resident genius.

D.C. hasn't given the character a tryouts series (mini or otherwise) yet, however.

Would anybody here be interested in seeing more of this charater in D.C.? Why or why not?

Offline Rasmane

• View Profile
Re: The JSA's Mr. Terrific Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 09:50:56 am »
I haven't regularly read JSA since before he became a member, but I shop-read Checkmate and even though he seems merely functional there, I like the character (there's not much not to like, if you know what I mean).

It's hard to get behind him, when the design of the character as we know him today (taken from a comic artist's pin-up illustration) was "misappropriated". Personally, I don't want to see the character's status proliferate until that's resolved...

http://www.blacksuperhero.com/bsh/viewtopic.php?t=2286

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:30:54 am »
I haven't regularly read JSA since before he became a member, but I shop-read Checkmate and even though he seems merely functional there, I like the character (there's not much not to like, if you know what I mean).

It's hard to get behind him, when the design of the character as we know him today (taken from a comic artist's pin-up illustration) was "misappropriated". Personally, I don't want to see the character's status proliferate until that's resolved...

http://www.blacksuperhero.com/bsh/viewtopic.php?t=2286

This is news to me. Details, please(the link doesn't seem to work for me)?

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:37:10 am »
I personally love the character.  I think he should lose the "Fair Play" jacket.  I know the history and origin of the character and why he has it, it just doesn't work for me.  For all intents and purposes, he's the smarter, black Batman of the DCU and I loved seeing him in control of the JSA in the last incarnation of the series.  That's what made me go back and find a copy of The Spectre #54...his first app. and origin.  His character has grown by leaps and bounds since his first appearance, but I've often wondered why he hasn't been given, at least, his own mini-series.  I think that while the LCF like the character, he's only accepted so much.  If he were to say, put Darkseid in a choke hold the LCF would go BONKERS!! LOL yeah, that's a low shot...but I digress...I don't know if Didio and DC think he can carry a solo book and that's why they're not pushing him, but I think he would be excellent counter-programming to BP...but only with the right writer.  I think Dwayne McDuffie and Denys Cowan or Priest and Mark Bright or maybe even Paul Dini and Don Kramer could do something special with Mr. Terrific.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:16:40 am »
M T's featuring on JLU made him fairly interesting. The JSA has too many geezers, he and Power Girl should run things.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 01:46:53 pm »
I think that while the LCF like the character, he's only accepted so much.  If he were to say, put Darkseid in a choke hold the LCF would go BONKERS!! LOL yeah, that's a low shot...but I digress...

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D