Author Topic: Marc Guggenheim Appreciation Thread.  (Read 1867 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marc Guggenheim Appreciation Thread.
« on: April 26, 2007, 03:18:25 pm »
Hey I don't know how many of you have been checking out the Hyperion v/s Night Hawk mini by Marc Guggenheim but it concluded last week and it has been both an informative and entertaining ride. Yes NightHawk kicks much ass in this series but more importantly he brings some attention to unspeakable horrors that is going on currently in Darfur. From time to time I will hear the talking heads on Meet The Press or CSpan debating this issue like it is something in doubt but while we fight in a region where no one really wants us there atrocities are being committed in a land where many black folks are dying and once again no one really cares. For all the militant midgets of the board including myself I think we owe Mr. Marc a big time bravo for not giving some shine to one of the baddest comic characters ever created NightHawk but bringing attention even in a comic book a ongoing disaster.

Thanks Marc.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
Re: Marc Guggenheim Appreciation Thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 04:31:48 pm »
Yeah I liked the mini overall. I felt the ending was kind of missing something, but I'm not hating it. I agree Guggenhiem needs to be given props on this project. He really did put it out there for folks to see. Alot of it is what you might catch in some news  broadcast, but the way that the war in Iraq takes center stage and the "watering" down of the news that comes to us about what's going on in Darfur makes this a good read. Plus I do like how he makes NightHawk the man in this book.

Now if he only could get his sh*t together writing Blade....  :(

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:38:57 am »
I dig his work on both books.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 11:03:28 am »
I like that mini as well.

Blade isn't terrible but its not great.

Honestly I think that if the art were better the book would be better and sell better.
I don't care how much of a legend, Chaykin is, his Blade work, is terrible and the numbers are showing this.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 01:16:21 pm »
I like that mini as well.

Blade isn't terrible but its not great.

Honestly I think that if the art were better the book would be better and sell better.
I don't care how much of a legend, Chaykin is, his Blade work, is terrible and the numbers are showing this.

Pretty much my thoughts about this. I could probably just deal with the way Blade is being depicted by Guggenhiem if the art was tighter. For me a comic has to have at least good art even if the story isn't the greatest. I mean c'mon! it's a comic book! Art has to play a major part for my enjoyment. I would just stick with novels if it didn't.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 01:20:29 pm by Evasive1 »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 04:40:39 pm »
Loved the Mini and the bit he wrote in the back of the first issue about his motivations in writing it.  I've been very lukewarm to Blade, I have the first couple of issues, but it just didn't grab my attention.