Poll

We've heard so many rasons why Black Panther sucks, but what's your favourite?

T'Challa's racist!
2 (2.9%)
Reggie Hudlin's racist!
11 (15.9%)
Doom's not really racist!
3 (4.3%)
Reggie Hudlin called us racist!
2 (2.9%)
It doesn't respect continuity!
10 (14.5%)
Panther wouldn't talk like that!
0 (0%)
Storm wouldn't talk like that!
4 (5.8%)
Africans don't talk like that!
4 (5.8%)
Hudlin only wants Storm as a brood-mare / he's making her slutty!
1 (1.4%)
Panther and Storm are too ghetto!
5 (7.2%)
Not enough Ross!
2 (2.9%)
Not enough white characters!
5 (7.2%)
Panther couldn't beat Cap!
7 (10.1%)
I preferred Priest (although evidently I didn't buy it)
13 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Favourite Anti-Panther rants  (Read 20780 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Favourite Anti-Panther rants
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 03:28:51 pm »
The list must be from the numerous comic boards through out the net.  None...not absolutely one come from the water cooler at the LCS.  Everyone seemed to like the Panther, Hudlin, and Storm, maybe they we're just humoring me and went straight to the boards when they got home to flame.  But my customers liked it enough to sell out and thats what we wanted...sell outs and second printings.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 03:48:05 pm »
I heard the term e-gangster on this board, so that's definitely a phenomenon.  I have only gotten love at cons...I have seen a hater or two, but no one has ever stepped to me.  The craziest I ever heard was one year a woman was complaining about depictions of Storm, but she clearly had not read the book, since every thing in the book contradicted her point. Then the moderator made a joke about her and we were all branded as sexist because we weren't taking the crazy lady's point seriously.  But we were!  She wasn't listening...because she was crazy.

Offline Naki

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »
Yeah, the myth of reverse racism and the reality of white privilege goes hand in hand.
There is no such thing as reverse racism.  There's only racism. Can black people be racist? Absolutely!  But that's not what's at the heart of these complaints. 

Again, we're only discussing these issues because its comics.  In music, in film, the fan base is so broad that the narrow minded people are just outnumbered.

Racism is about power dynamics not simple prejudiced attitudes. If African Americans had the institutional power in this country to impact the lives of any racial group based on some of our prejudices then yes, we could be racist. But we don't and thus we are not. People all too often use the terms interchangeably, but they are not, and people who use them as such either have no true understanding of the terms or know the difference and choose to ignore it.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 10:06:06 pm »
I've heard that argument, but I can't really co-sign it. First of all, as individuals and as a group we have more power than we know or exert.  But most of all, I've seen black folks insult whites, Asian and Latinos with racial slurs with no good reason behind it other than they are stupid assholes.  Sometimes to their face, sometimes behind their backs, but it's nasty and it's wrong.

Offline Naki

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 03:42:17 am »
I've heard that argument, but I can't really co-sign it. First of all, as individuals and as a group we have more power than we know or exert.  But most of all, I've seen black folks insult whites, Asian and Latinos with racial slurs with no good reason behind it other than they are stupid assholes.  Sometimes to their face, sometimes behind their backs, but it's nasty and it's wrong.

Like I said, there is a difference between a racist act and a prejudiced one. As I said in my previous post, African Americans can be prejudiced individuals and have said many of the things you mentioned. However, as a collective group, African Americans do not have the institutional means/power to control the life chances of an entire group of people based on their prejudiced attitudes or even beliefs. That is a huge mistake people make, trying to equate the two when they are different entities. Racism and prejudice are not mutually exclusive but they are most definitely not the same. Any "ism," in society is based on power. It in no way demeans African Americans to note the historical and contemporary obvious. It is an unfortunate fact of life that we all still must deal with. Some whites like to use the same examples as the ones you used to "prove" that African Americans are racist to somehow absolve their own racism or to put us on par with them. That is a fallacy too many African Americans have fallen into for a host of reasons.

Tell you what, put all those African Americans together who've said nasty things against whites and have them attempt to impact the social, economic, political, educational lives of whites and see how far they get.

Now do the same for whites and see the difference. Oh, you don't have to because it exists in every institution that directly and indirectly promote "whiteness" over everything else.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 03:51:29 am »
I have often heard that comment, Racism is about power, but when I look the word up in, say Oxford dictionary, it isn't part of the definition.

"racism     noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races."

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/racism

If, at least some dictionaries do not include the power aspect as part of the definition, then when parts of the general populace dont include it either, you really can't say they're not wrong. 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 04:21:16 am »
I mean, you can't say they're wrong.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:26 am »

akuma! whassup maaayyne@ I haven't seen you in awhile! How's things? Where ya been dawg?

uh.........

I have been posting just not in the BP threads actually.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 07:20:00 am »
Ok black people racist. Um what does that truly mean. Oh I get it, we won't let you into our clubs or we split the vote when you win our step shows. White folks racist... the entire history of this country.

Every instance I have heard of a white person bemoan the racism of black folks it has been about just the act of bringing race into a dynamic or as stated above not being happy and accepting when a white person wants to join in a historically black setting/institution/group.

Unless in specific limited instances black people cannot be racist. Think about it who da f*ck wrote oxford or websters dictionary.
Well obviously not me from my daily destruction of it.   ;D

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 11:09:28 am »
I just don't like the notion that some of you are claiming that people of color "cant be racist" Yes in our country history, the racism was stronger from others (mainly white) based on flat lies and the such. Yes we didn't use our "power" to keep others down. But who said we wouldn't if the opportunity was there?

A number of people in the black community can be just as bad. It may not be towards whites but it can be to towards others. For example people of Asian decent. "look at her she got chinky eyes" What the f*ck does that even mean? Do people even realize that it is a racial slur saying something like that? Yes there is a possibility of ignorance of not knowing but dammit at least watch what you say. yes it wasn't meant in a racial way but pretending that it is fine is silly. (of course one can use my username as apart of a counterargument and they are right) Another example would be not accepting apart of whom you are. When I hear a person say "I'm Indian and black" it makes me  ::). That person is litterally black as berry where both parents are black but want to "claim" something based on his/her great grandfather whom was "mixed". It may not be racial per se but it comes off as if you as a person don't like whom you are. That is just as disheartening as someone flat saying a racial slur. 

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:47 pm »
Ok black people racist. Um what does that truly mean. Oh I get it, we won't let you into our clubs or we split the vote when you win our step shows.

You had to go right THERE didn't you. ;D

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »
To say that black people can't be racist is simply wrong.

To say that black people haven't been able to use racism as a way to oppress others with racism in America would be more accurate.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 01:50:27 pm »
To say that black people can't be racist is simply wrong.

To say that black people haven't been able to use racism as a way to oppress others with racism in America would be more accurate.

hmm..okay. i can agree with you on that.  your second statement is well said.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2010, 03:58:42 pm »
Results are not as important as intent. 

If you wife pulls a gun on you, pulls the trigger...but didn't load the pistol with bullets, would say your wife is not murderous?  She may not be competent, but she's a danger none the less.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2010, 06:40:20 am »
Form v/s content.

What's in a name that which we call a rose by any other name, smells just as sweet.

Yea by definition, everyone can be racist. But when you are talking about institutions, that is the only thing that matters.

Ok somebody says that I have big nigger lips. Yea that is racist and hurtful. Ok because of my color the admission department at Harvard let George Bush the VI in over me because of his skin. Well name to but you get the point.