Author Topic: Check out the trailer and more for my new movie SAFETY  (Read 95 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Check out the trailer and more for my new movie SAFETY
« on: November 14, 2020, 04:59:30 am »
Go to the main page where I posted three great short articles about the film.  There is a trailer there too!  Let me know what you think.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Check out the trailer and more for my new movie SAFETY
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:40:37 am »
Sunday, 15th November 2o2o
Director Reginald Hudlin Talks Disney+’s ‘Safety’
by Alex McGaughey

Today, Disney+ debuted the trailer and  key art for its new film, Safety, inspired by the empowering true story of former Clemson University football safety Ray McElrathbey, a young man facing a series of challenging circumstances, whose dedication and persistence help him to triumph over repeated adversities.

Aided by his teammates and the Clemson community, he succeeds on the field while simultaneously raising and caring for his 11-year-old brother Fahmarr.

All American‘s Jay Reeves will star as Ray with newcomer Thaddeus J. Mixson as Fahmarr.

Corinne Foxx (47 Meter Down: Uncaged), Matthew Glave, Hunter Sansone, Amanda Warren, Miles Burris, Isaac Bell, Elijah Bell and James Badge Dale also star in the film. 

Safety will debut exclusively on Disney+ on Friday, December 11, 2020.

We spoke with the films director, Academy Award nominee Reginald Hudlin, on what it took to complete a project that’s equal parts sports with important messages on family and responsibility.

What drew you into the project?

I read a great script. I remember I was about 20 pages in and I got up and started pacing around the house and my wife said “What’s wrong?!”. I’m like “This is good!”. I read another 40 pages and I start pacing around again, and she goes “What’s wrong now?!”. I said “I think I’m going to work!”

So were you familiar with the story before you read the script?

No I was not, but, when I read it I really related to it. You know just the idea of  a young man in a situation that is impossible, but failure is not an option. He had to make a way out of no way and I just know so many people who have been in those situations and they’re heroes… you know they don’t necessarily get noticed, but they make the impossible happen. I feel that’s what Ray McElrathbay did. He made the impossible happen and I’m happy to celebrate him.

I know you’ve worked with your brother, Warrington, closely over your career and I know having a sibling is a very formative experience – do you think the relationship with your brother helped in telling McElrathbay’s story?

I’ve actually got two older brothers. They were both so important in shaping who I was as the youngest…and those sacrifices that an eldest have to make – you know because you get deputized – it’s not necessarily fair to the eldest. They’re told by your parents – “take care of your brother, take care of your sister, or else”, you hear that over and over again and you take that seriously and that’s a very relatable situation.

Clemson and sports is synonymous, so how were you able to honor both the sports fans and McElrathbay’s story?

We took the sports policy very seriously and we wanted to make sure that the football was shot authentically and that we delivered it with a level of style. When you watch the NFL on TV [the games are] beautifully shot. So we knew we had to go beyond what they do when you’re watching a game, but you have to deliver the power and energy of a real game…We had a lot of real players cast as our team who all really knew what they were doing. There were no Hollywood cornball non-athletes in our cast, we had real athletes. We drilled everybody for weeks on our football plays and then our camera operators drilled with them. We had 7 1/2 minutes to shoot our big football sequence – it was an amazing achievement both from the athletic perspective and from being able to shoot that much footage, that many angles, and that much detail, that quickly.

What was your goal with the storytelling of Safety?

Well, it’s a movie about brotherhood, [the] two brothers, and the brotherhood of the team, and ultimately the entire community. I just wanted to convey the reality of what everyone did. I wanted to really make people feel how tough Ray’s situation was, his brother’s situation, his entire family. To understand that everyone was taking a risk but they were taking a risk for the greater good.

You’ve given a lot to the culture. Was it your intention to focus on Black stories when you started out?

[Laughing] Yes. I just feel like, the power of movies is incredible on a global basis. And if we can show the full range of our humanity, that’s a big deal. If we can show the full range of our artistry, thats a big deal. And thats what I’ve tried to do in my body of work, whether it’s a comedy, whether its an animated movie, whether it’s a documentary. Here’s all the different sides of who we are as a people, and you don’t have to be Black to relate to it, but everything you see on screen is going to be authentically Black, and in watching it you will realize me being true to my culture is no different than Akira Kurosawa directing movies in Japan and being true to his culture and here I am a kid in East St. Louis relating to this Japanese filmmaker. When you get specific you plug into a Universal [thread].

You mentioned a full range of artistry, which I think you encompass wonderfully. It’s wild looking at your resume and seeing how many different mediums you’ve worked in – how do you do that? A lot of artists want to do it all – and you have -how?

I’ve been fortunate enough to have a lot of opportunities. I’ve tried to prepare myself for opportunities so that when those come, you’re ready. Also, there’s a cost to that, because people go – well who are you? Are you a producer? Are you a director? Do you write comic books? Do you do comedies? Do you do dramas? People don’t necessarily perceive all those things or connect all those things together…It’s tricky because it’s easier to be that person who does thing X, right? You do the same thing over and over again and there’s nothing wrong with that if that’s what you want to do, but I never wanted to do that. If I see something and it looks like fun, I want to go do it. When I started…there was so few black filmmakers in Hollywood – it all seemed impossible. So I didn’t see any reason to except any limits because whatever I did was against the odds and once you start doing things…once you start breaking those barriers, then you go – why should I respect any barrier?

You wrote for the Black Panther comic. Did you think Black Panther would go as far as it did?

I did think it was going to go as far as it did. I was always very confident that Black Panther was going to be the equivalent of Captain America. What Captain America represents for America, Black Panther represents for Africa. But I was wrong! Black Panther is bigger, right? It’s the first superhero movie to make over a billion dollars. I was always confident that it was a big universal idea, because it was [a] black utopia and the world wants to see that.

Who is your favorite comic book character?

That’s hard to say because it’s so many, but I have to say the set of superheroes I’m developing now with Milestone Media, which is a black comic book company from the 90’s that we’re now reviving. I’m having the most fun working on these books. I can’t wait for the public to receive it.

Are you having fun?

If I’m not having fun I don’t see any point of doing it. If I’m having fun usually things work 110%. If I’m not having fun, then I’m working and… I try to avoid work [laughs]. I just try to have fun for a living, and usually that fun expresses itself in the end product and when audiences see it they connect, they feel that positivity in the product.