Author Topic: The Immortal Iron Fist  (Read 6432 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Immortal Iron Fist
« on: May 12, 2007, 07:03:28 am »
Any of you reading this book? Wow this is one of the hottest books out now. I can't believe this story has not been told yet. Brubaker hit a home run with this one. If Danny can be in a title this hot it is no doubt that done right Cage could as well, hell both of them together would even be hotter. How worldly the society is today with the Paris Hiltons, Corporate misdeeds and the war on terror there is little doubt that the buddy book hero for hire would not work.

issue 5 was one of the best books I have read this year. Has the history of Kuhn lun been told in more detail then this before?

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
Re: The Immortal Iron Fist
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 07:27:43 am »
if you want to see them together read New Avengers ;)

The reason why this book is so good is because it is going to explore his rich history which has never been told before.  In the past Kun Lun was just a plot device to give a golden American whiteboy some kungfu powers so he can whoop up on some thugs in an AMerican city.  Now it is actually being taken seriously and explored on its own merits. 

**THE SAME CAN BE DONE FOR ANY BLACK CHARACTER THAT HAS VIRTUALLY NO HISTORY THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN EXPLORED WHICH WOULD BE 90% OF THEM**

Hopefully someone from Marvel sees this.

Until that time

Bring on the Stormbringers.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 02:27:59 pm »
Iron Fist has never interested me, but I am glad many are enjoying this book!

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 07:56:45 am »
I love this book, I love the whole Danny, Luke, Jessica, Misty, Colleen ,White Tiger familia. Relationships is what draws me. Thats what made me love JLU, that what makes me like the Panther-Storm book.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:42:37 am »
if you want to see them together read New Avengers ;)

The reason why this book is so good is because it is going to explore his rich history which has never been told before.  In the past Kun Lun was just a plot device to give a golden American whiteboy some kungfu powers so he can whoop up on some thugs in an AMerican city.  Now it is actually being taken seriously and explored on its own merits. 

**THE SAME CAN BE DONE FOR ANY BLACK CHARACTER THAT HAS VIRTUALLY NO HISTORY THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN EXPLORED WHICH WOULD BE 90% OF THEM**

Hopefully someone from Marvel sees this.

Until that time

Bring on the Stormbringers.

Now,all of you KNOW that I LOVE ME SOME IMMORTAL IRON FIST! I went back and got the issues that I missed,now I am the proud owner of all 5 of the books published.I really enjoyed all of them,and I like the fact that KUN LUN is being explored on its own,being made to look beautiful and immortal and exotic and magical with a very ancient,very rich,very mysterious past steeped in magicks and martial arts and philosophy and all that stuff I love. To my genuine pleasure,most of the martial techniques depicted are indeed genuine techniques,and the artist is capturing the beauty and power of Danny Rand's old skool kung-fu mixed with modern scrappin (Brubaker having Danny break out with the "Brooklyn head butt" in number 5 cracked me up,especially since my students and I feature the headbutt prominently,ever since I got into the head-butt as a result of my studying riesty/Testa documents and articles).

I love this book, I love the whole Danny, Luke, Jessica, Misty, Colleen ,White Tiger familia. Relationships is what draws me. Thats what made me love JLU, that what makes me like the Panther-Storm book.

Beautifully said,Princesa...you illuminated an angle that constantly intrigues me about books like BP and IMMORTAL IRON FIST as well.Madd respeck! That's right,I said "respeck".
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:59:40 am »
Best book I am reading right now. I even went out and bought a couple of issues of Marvel Premiere 15 because I am digging this character.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 11:52:30 am »
I'll cosign all the love for this book.  Immortal Iron Fist is one of the best books on the shelves right now.  I want them to continue to explore the legacy of the Iron Fist and show more of the past wielders.  The art complements this book perfectly, it's some of Brubaker and Fraction's best work, IMO.  This makes me forgive Fraction for PWJ! ;D

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 12:19:21 pm »
Best book I am reading right now. I even went out and bought a couple of issues of Marvel Premiere 15 because I am digging this character.

What's Marvel Premiere 15?

I'll cosign all the love for this book.  Immortal Iron Fist is one of the best books on the shelves right now.  I want them to continue to explore the legacy of the Iron Fist and show more of the past wielders.  The art complements this book perfectly, it's some of Brubaker and Fraction's best work, IMO.  This makes me forgive Fraction for PWJ! ;D

Hear ye hear ye!!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 03:09:57 pm »
Bah.

Take the mystic mumbo jumbo away, and I still take IIF over everybody else..

He's Bruce Wayne, with Bill Clinton sensiblities..  how hard of a sell could it have been?

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 04:53:20 pm »

Hear ye hear ye!!

First appearance of Iron Fist. They have some on Ebay, expensive at conventions.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 10:54:51 pm »

Hear ye hear ye!!

First appearance of Iron Fist. They have some on Ebay, expensive at conventions.

Thank you so very much,dawg...
Bah.

Take the mystic mumbo jumbo away, and I still take IIF over everybody else..

He's Bruce Wayne, with Bill Clinton sensiblities..  how hard of a sell could it have been?

I love the mysticism,I wouldn't want it to be taken away...even though I still like the street grittyness that IIF can have too (via LUKE and MISTY and HEROES FOR HIRE). And my favorite book still is BP all day an day!
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 08:38:31 am »
The mysticism of the book is one of it's strengths, IMO.  It's great how they balance the history, mysticism and kung fu to tell this story.  It's not often that I like characters that are basically retconned into existence, but I REALLY like the Orson Randall character and all the backstory they've added to the Iron Fist mythos.  And when Iron Fist gets to read and absorb what's in that book...it's gonna be all over, no one will be able to touch him hand to hand after that.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 09:16:56 am »
Make no mistake.. I'm enjoying the fleshing out of the k'un l'un mythos, but at the end of the day, Brubaker has made Danny Rand far, far cooler than any white guy in green and yellow jammies has a right to be!  Let's face it.. his costume screams "Chop-sockey Ofey!"  But he's so cool he pulls it off.

I'm about thiiiis close from spamming Marvel with requests for a 70's Jam Flip-book with Rand/Cage H4H, Dr. Drumm and Mr. Russell...

(with a Goliath/Beast team-up! of course)

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 12:18:07 pm »
This is the best rendition of Iron Fist I read in a long time. Reading this title, you can tell Brubaker and Fraction put alot of work and research into making this book hot. I read on a website that Brubaker is a fan of Iron Fist back during the time when Chris  Claremont was writing him. This series, IMO, is a mixture of Iron Fist Volume one meets Deadly Hands of Kung Fu.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 01:10:58 pm »
What about the art? David Aja is tearing it up. He is probably one of Marvel's top artists today. I hope he stays on the book.