Author Topic: "You f**ked up!" Athletes who run afoul of the law  (Read 13770 times)

Jenn

"You f**ked up!" Athletes who run afoul of the law
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:40:29 pm »
Our newest idiot: Steve McNair! He'll be in court on the 30th for letting his drunk brother drive his truck - with him in it.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: "You f**ked up!" Athletes who run afoul of the law
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 02:23:53 pm »
And what the hell is up with Michael Vick?  I always loved the guy but between the hidden pot and the new charge, dog fighting, I just don't know what he's up to!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 04:26:27 pm by JLI Jesse »

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 03:56:48 pm »
And I don't wanna shock y'all

But Rickey Williams is smoking weed again
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 04:33:03 pm »

he seems like such a dumbass to me.  He like to smoke pot, we get that.  There are a lot of things I like to do as well...though I would give most of them up for a few years if it meant making millions of dollars.  Imagine all the weed he could by then.  Then again, he didn't seem too bright to me in his 60 Minutes interview.

Jenn

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 05:37:30 pm »

WHAT!?!?! Not Ricky Williams! YOU LIE!!!!!!!  ;D

Seriously, though. Let that man smoke his weed and play ball and leave him alone. I'm more worried about McNair's DUI escapades than I am of Ricky and his weed.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 08:14:45 pm »
WHICH LEAGUE IS WORSE NBA OR NFL?

have been accused of spousal abuse

have been arrested for fraud

have been accused of writing bad checks

have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

have done time for assault

cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

have been arrested on drug-related charges

have been arrested for shoplifting

currently are defendants in lawsuits

have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

Neither, it's the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:40:35 am »
http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/congress.asp

Yeah, yeah, yeah...but it was still a fun hoax and the article doesn't definitively dispute some of the facts.  I like it anyway! ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:42:58 am by Catch22 »

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 12:22:05 pm »
WHICH LEAGUE IS WORSE NBA OR NFL?

have been accused of spousal abuse

have been arrested for fraud

have been accused of writing bad checks

have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

have done time for assault

cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

have been arrested on drug-related charges

have been arrested for shoplifting

currently are defendants in lawsuits

have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

Neither, it's the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

DAAAAYUUUMMMNN!!!  That's droppin some serious knowledge,Catch22!! Much love!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 06:25:29 pm »
I was watching ESPN this weekend, they did an extended segment on the Michael Vick/Dogfighting controversy.. My first time hearing about it.. supposedly he owns a house where his brother lives, and his brother breeds dogs to fight, and allegedly Mike gets in on the action..

So is it being made a bigger deal than it really is, or is there "really" a subculture of athletes (and other celebs, i.e. rappers, R&B singers, actors) who get involved in breeding, bankrolling and/or betting on dogfights? Is Vick a scapegoat?

..One of the things "mentioned" by Scoop Jackson was that throughout the south this is a "normal" thing especially for impoverished communities, and athletes who come from this background tend to bring their hobbies with them..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 06:35:33 pm »
I was watching ESPN this weekend, they did an extended segment on the Michael Vick/Dogfighting controversy.. My first time hearing about it.. supposedly he owns a house where his brother lives, and his brother breeds dogs to fight, and allegedly Mike gets in on the action..

So is it being made a bigger deal than it really is, or is there "really" a subculture of athletes (and other celebs, i.e. rappers, R&B singers, actors) who get involved in breeding, bankrolling and/or betting on dogfights? Is Vick a scapegoat?

..One of the things "mentioned" by Scoop Jackson was that throughout the south this is a "normal" thing especially for impoverished communities, and athletes who come from this background tend to bring their hobbies with them..

Normal is not always legal, Michael Vick is stupid for this
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:46:25 am »
I'm not one to say that Newsarama is a bastion of intelligent thought, but this quote about the Vick fiasco was wholly appropriate...

Lack of Weapons of mass destruction= gets a pass
Billions missing in Iraq= get a pass
America falling from #1 in the world in education to #19= gets a pass

Dog Fighting= National tragedy ??

I love dogs...grew up with dogs, but the news coverage has been WAY overblown!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:56:00 am »
Michael Vick Indicted on Dog Fighting Charges

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/18/vickfans_0718.html

Once just a player with problems, Michael Vick has now a career in crisis, after the Falcons quarterback was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury over his role in a dogfighting operation at property he owns in Surry County, Va.

That the investigation, ongoing for over two months, yielded charges was not a surprise. That typically meticulous federal investigators moved so quickly — just 6 1/2 weeks — to make their case was stunning.

Though Vick was indicted on one count of conspiracy to sponsor federally outlawed dogfighting, the 18-page indictment gruesomely detailed the operation of his alleged involvement in Bad Newz Kennels, located behind a house he owned in Smithfield, Va.

The indictment charges that defeated dogs were typically killed after their losses, either by drowning, hanging, electrocution or shooting. Purses at Bad Newz-sponsored fights were alleged to have reached $26,000.

An initial hearing date is expected to be set today at Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, which will hear the case, according to spokesman Jim Rybicki. That hearing will not likely occur this week, but probably within the next two weeks.

Vick will not be arrested but will be issued a summons to appear at that initial hearing. If convicted — the official charge reads conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities ("Travel Act") and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture — Vick faces a maximum of five years in prison.

Any additional animal cruelty charges could bring an additional one-year maximum per conviction.

Vick could not be reached Tuesday. But the Falcons and the NFL issued statements of concern and exasperation over the quarterback's predicament.

"We are disappointed that one of our players — and therefore the Falcons — [are] being presented to the public in a negative way, and we apologize to our fans and the community for that," the Falcons' unsigned statement read. Obviously, we are disturbed by today's news from Virginia."

Indicted with Vick, 27, were Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, Va.; Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta; and Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Va.

While Vick's Virginia-based attorney, Lawrence Woodward, was not available for comment Tuesday, the NFL's rebuke was prompt. Only last April 28, Vick was counseled by commissioner Roger Goodell about his series of off-field incidents over the past year.

The rest of the article can be read from the link above.  I don't know what happens to these guys.  Vick was making $13 million a year and you throw that away for dogfighting?  That's like a person stealing a $900 computer from a job that pays them $90,000 a year and getting caught and fired (true story).  And as you can guess, the Atlanta media (AJC, Sportstalk radio, etc.) is having a field day reporting on this and reveling in the indictment of this "thug" as they're calling him.  Don't get me wrong, he deserves what he gets if the allegations detailed in the indictment are true, but the bias in this town is crazy.

• A woman is raped at Patrick Kerney's house, while Kerney is there...covered 2 days and buried. 

• Bill Romanowski interviewed on 790 the Zone...he's a good hard-nosed player you'd love to have on your team! (WTF?) 

• Chris Beniot KILLS his own wife and 7 year old son and he gets all kinds of sympathy and human interest stories here in the ATL.

It boggles the mind...Vick's no angel and if he's guilty, prosecute to the fullest extent, but in comparison to those other guys, it's not even close.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 08:39:52 am »
Will Vick's legal troubles lead to a suspension?

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
July 17, 2007

Report:  Vick indicted in dogfighting probe

Quarterback Michael Vick and the Atlanta Falcons took a huge hit a week before the start of training camp.

Vick is expected to be suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after news broke Tuesday evening that Vick was indicted by federal authorities in connection with dog fighting in Virginia. The indictment followed a three-month investigation.

While Goodell was not reached for comment, two sources said the commissioner has been monitoring the Vick case since April, when investigators initially found evidence of dog fighting at a home Vick owned in Smithfield.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Where (Vick) is in the most trouble is that he lied to the commissioner," a league source said. "He told (Goodell) in April that he didn't know anything about this. The commissioner gave (Vick) every chance to come clean, be straight about what was going on. Instead, he just kept denying it."

The NFL released a statement that both cautioned in not prejudging the case and said Vick would be evaluated under the league's personal conduct policy.

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," the NFL statement read. "We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case, and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities. The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts. The matter will be reviewed under the League's Personal Conduct Policy."

Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, urged the league to take "appropriate" action.

"Dog fighting is a serious federal and state crime, and enforcement authorities have treated this investigation with the seriousness it deserves," Pacelle said. "We will continue to work with law enforcement with the intention of bringing to justice any individual who contributed to this cruel and violent treatment of animals.

"Now that Michael Vick has been indicted, the NFL should not hesitate to take appropriate disciplinary action under its internal guidelines."

The indictment is a long way from proof of guilt. In 1999, former Miami Dolphins wide receiver Tony Martin faced money laundering charges in federal court and was found not guilty.

Vick and three other men – Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor – were indicted on a pair of conspiracy charges that carry a total maximum of six years in prison if convicted.

"That indictment is brutal," said John Goodwin, the lead investigator from the Humane Society. "The details in there are amazing. That's much stronger than most of the cases I've seen."

The league was made aware by federal authorities of the indictment Tuesday afternoon about an hour before the news was released to the general public.

Until then, federal authorities had been tight-lipped with the NFL, not revealing any details of an investigation they commandeered from local authorities in May. The NFL had been in constant contact with local police in Surry County until that point and believed that Vick was going to be indicted, sensing the local authorities had enough to build a case against him, according to one of the sources.

"Obviously, we are disturbed by today's news from Virginia," the Falcons said through a statement issued Tuesday evening. "However, we are prepared to deal with it, and we will do the right thing for our club as the legal process plays out. We have a season to prepare for and training camp opens next week. Our plan is to continue to do everything we can to support our players and coaches."

Now, the question is how fast will Goodell react and how long will he suspend Vick? Vick has yet to be convicted of a crime or even be arrested during his six-year career, but Goodell has made player conduct his most significant issue through his first year in office.

Tennessee Titans cornerback Pacman Jones has been suspended for one year although he has yet to be convicted; Jones has been arrested or called into questioning by police at least 10 times since entering the league and faces charges over a shooting in Las Vegas in February.

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry has been suspended for eight games for multiple transgressions and former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson is also facing an eight-game suspension whenever he is signed by another team. The Bears cut Johnson in June after he was pulled over in Arizona for impaired driving.

Other NFL teams are eager to see how Goodell will react to the news on Vick. A Titans source said in May that Tennessee management was watchful of how Vick might be treated in relation to how Jones was punished.

"There's a lot riding on this one," a league source said. "Perception is really important right now for the entire league and (Goodell) has set the bar pretty high. I think the one thing going for (Goodell) if he's going to suspend Vick is that he gave Vick a chance to tell the truth."

Vick met with Goodell in New York, shortly after the raid on Vick's property, before the NFL draft in April. Vick told Goodell and said publicly that he never went to the house and that he was unaware of what his family and friends were doing there.

Reports by media outlets in Virginia disputed Vick's story. Witnesses said that Vick had been seen there many times. The federal indictment also lays out a much different story, saying that Vick participated in the commerce of dog fighting. The indictment said that dogs and participants were brought in from as far away as New York and Texas for fights.

The indictment also specifies that the raising and training of dogs were conducted at the home. The home features a series of kennels and a small building in the back where fights were supposed to have taken place.

The indictment also lays out a detailed and ugly description of how the fights were run, including how dogs that lost fights were killed afterward, if necessary. Dogs were often shot, drowned, electrocuted or strangled if they could not otherwise be saved.

"We're talking about activity that went on for years," Pacelle said. "Yes, these are accusations. But for him to have claimed that he knew nothing about the activities there is unbelievable … that's why we think the league should suspend him under its conduct policy.

"If you're just going to wait for the judicial process, why even have a conduct policy?"

If Vick is suspended for any length of time, the Falcons are likely to turn to backup quarterback Joey Harrington as the starter. Regardless, Vick's progress under new coach Bobby Petrino is expected to be thwarted as he deals with all the legal issues associated with the indictment.

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 02:19:53 pm »
Vick is an idiot.  Dog fighting is simply cruel, fine, it holds some kind of cultural significance for some, but there are a lot of things that are culturally significant which are societally repugnant.  No sponser is going to want to keep someone for this level of cruelty, hell this level of cruelty towards animals is psych 101 textbook sociopathic behavor.