Author Topic: Fitness Thread  (Read 12317 times)

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
Fitness Thread
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:57:14 pm »
I know there was a previous thread called "health check" but the forum system advised that I create a new thread instead of replying to that old one.

Now that I'm free for the Summer, I've decided to pick up on my fitness again. Right now I've been doing running and jogging with weight training exercises etc.

My daily routine is usually:
Warm up/ Stretching
3 to 4 laps on track or 2 sets of 10 to 15 minutes running around the park.
Leg and Hamstring stretches.
250 crunches; 8 sets of 25 crosslegged crunches and 2 sets of 25 bicycle crunches. I think I may cut down on the crosslegged crunches though, I can't even laugh without pain these days.
2 sets of stairs

Then I go home and so some weight exercises:
2 sets of 8 those arm exercises that looks like you're flapping wings. I use 5 pounds dumbells on each arm.
20 lunges
Stretch my entire body.
And that's it.

I actually skip a day in between, but on some of the "off-days" I ride my bike. I've also tried to avoid sugar and unnecessary carbs like the plague to compliment my workout plan. *munches double fudge, chocolate chip deluxe cookie* I said "tried".  8)
...Rassclaat.

Jenn

Re: Fitness Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:14:54 am »
Wake up at about 6:30, for some breakfast, then a jog to the city pool for 20 laps, then walk back home for for 45-60 minutes of yoga, every morning. MWF afternoon is karate, TRS is running, and Sunday is something "fun" like tennis or skating. Trying to scrape up the extra $30 a month to sign up for kickboxing at my dojo. I also have an exercise ball that I like to do crunches, weights or pushups on while I'm watching TV. Brothas will laugh at the ball, but that thing will kill you if your abs are weak.

Calorie counting is for suckers. If you want to lose weight, just reduce what you're eating now by about 25%. There's nutritional value in nearly everything you consume. My weakness, however, is vanilla soda. I'm trying to kick the habit, but it's harder than R. Kelly's dick at a preschool.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:20:27 am by Jenn »

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:31:39 am »
Well damn, you make my workout plan look like a warm-up. Just curious, but does all the exercises and activites you do specifically the yoga, marital arts and exercises ball good for "toning" lean muscles instead of creating bulky ones? I heard that Pilate's is very good for "toning" lean muscles, which is important to me because I only stand at 5' 1".

Calorie counting is for suckers. If you want to lose weight, just reduce what you're eating now by about 25%. There's nutritional value in nearly everything you consume. My weakness, however, is vanilla soda. I'm trying to kick the habit, but it's harder than R. Kelly's dick at a preschool.

Hey, calorie counting keeps me motivated! I don't need to lose weight per se, but I figure that eating less (unhealthy foods) would help compliment my muscle training.  :-\
...Rassclaat.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:18:06 pm »
afterschool I head to the gym, Tues, Fri, Sat and SUn morning is weight training.  I'm supposed to get on the treadmill tues and thurs, but it is a bitch, let me tell you, but I'm working on it.  I've been out of muay thai, bjj practice but I go occasionally to keep my sh*t quick...

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 04:28:50 pm »
Well damn, you make my workout plan look like a warm-up. Just curious, but does all the exercises and activites you do specifically the yoga, marital arts and exercises ball good for "toning" lean muscles instead of creating bulky ones? I heard that Pilate's is very good for "toning" lean muscles, which is important to me because I only stand at 5' 1".

Hey, calorie counting keeps me motivated! I don't need to lose weight per se, but I figure that eating less (unhealthy foods) would help compliment my muscle training.  :-\

Yoga is FANTASTIC for lean muscle mass and toning...it's the ultimate expression of flexibility,strength,movement,balance,breath control,mental strength and focus,and spirituality,all mixed into one.It's the ultimate calisthenic health builder,both mending injuries ( recuperating from separated shoulders and the like are routine with a good yoga program) and making the practitioner more resistant to injury than anything else I have ever experienced.

Take Jenn's advice about the Swiss ball,I have one and I don't part with it.It's my favorite seat in the house and the only thing that I jealously and zealously guard,so of course my cousins and everybody else do their level best to hop on it when I'm not sitting on it.I bean offenders found transgressing upon my Swiss ball with my 12 pound medicine ball.Speaking of Medicine Balls,you MUST get one.It's the business for all core,plyometric,and calisthenic exercises.It's terrific for balance drills for both the upper and lower body,and it is required for all total body movements.

When I have more time,I will put down my current workout regime.It's horrendous.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 06:41:46 pm »
Soop, be sure to post your regimen, especially your Swiss ball regiment; I'm sure it's a beast. I'm getting a medicine ball next, as soon as I have a lil cash. If you have a smaller one that you want to part with, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :) Question - what's better, a 65 cm ball or a 55 cm? I found it odd that the 55 was cheaper than the 65 when I bought mine. And I hear you about guarding it! Little bad ass kids always wanna bounce on my sh*t! GET OFF MY BALL!!!!

Toya, you're not going to have bulky muscles if it's not in your build; at best, you'll look like one of those starving Ethiopian marathon runners. Yoga is going to make you leaner, more flexible and less prone to injury. It did wonders for my kicking skills. It's also VERY calming, and quite cheap for all its benefits. I'd hit your local Walmart and invest in a swiss ball ($10-$14; do NOT get one with sand in it, that defeats the entire purpose), and a yoga mat ($10-$18; yoga on the living room carpet won't cut it). Your local library will probably have DVDs for checkout - most modern libraries do - so check out some of the yoga DVDs before committing to buy one. If you DO buy, then you can't go wrong with Rodney Yee. Power Yoga and AM/PM Yoga for Beginners is the combo I'd recommend you to start with; it's good for beginners, but the power workout is also good for advanced as well. In total, it's 65 minutes continuous (you work your way up to going that long). An excellent investment for $25.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:44:21 pm by Jenn »

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 06:46:02 pm »
i also forgot to mention I can bench 515 lbs.  Heh.  Still got it...

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 07:19:43 pm »

OM FREAKIN GAWD,DAWG!! I'M NOWHERE NEAR THAT!! I haven't hit weights in YEARS,but I'm sure I can still hit the high two hundred/low three-hundreds right now should I choose.I know that should I commit to a power lifting type program I will crack 405 pounds before the end of this year...at a body weight of under 165 lbs.

Yo,jenn,I'm going to send you an email video clip of me doing plyometric push-ups on my Swiss ball while wearing a 20 pound vest.They're depth drop push-ups from a chair.Yeah,that's me wearing the red bandanna...and I will post up my Swiss ball routine.The Swiss ball is GREAT for working on your guard from bjj and all forms of balancing and grappling and stuff,plus it's just a blazin workout aid period.I even do one legged calf raises on it...and let me tell you,the wobbling of the Swiss ball really makes your core and your muscles work while you're cranking out those reps.

Rodney Yee is officially the YOGA MAN.I heard of him some years ago back when he had something called YOGA FOR ATHLETES or something like that.His POWER YOGA is supposed to be the bizness,too.Jenn is giving you iced out supafly platinum knowledge with him.I love my yoga routine the most out of all the exercises I do.It's very demanding,with more of an emphasis on the strength building one finds in gymnastics,combined with fluid movement from asana to asana.I warm up with 3-5 minute rounds of jumprope (minimum of 600 jumps/round,using a 5 pound jump rope and wearing both my 20 pound vest and my Jump Soles which are the bizness for your calves and explosive movement of any sort) and a combination of stretches that I got from my cousin (whom patented a beautiful calisthenic strength and flexibility routine called FLEXERCISE back in the 80s,and YES he's the ORIGINAL FLEXERCISE GUY),with the stretches I got from Kurtz' STRETCHING SCIENTIFICALLY.I find this to be excellent for my chosen yoga routine

I dislike my martial arts calisthenic conditioning and movement and agility routine the most.This thing just HURTS and it NEVER STOPS HURTING.When I get better,I have to do MORE stuff in the SAME PERIOD OF TIME.I created it,and I genuinely am concerned that I may have some hidden fascination with masochism as a result of this...

I dislike my sprint routine the second most.I make excuses to not do it all the way until I start my warmup drills.I make up these excuses 5 days a week.They never work.I gotta get better excuses,lol.

And yeah,yoga? It really DOES make your sex life superior than previously.Seriously.I had an edge previously due to my martial arts training and my decathlete/triathlon/gymnastics approach to training,but now? Now I can go as long as I want to.Literally.No exaggeration.Breath control,posture and nerve manipulation make that much of a difference.And the experience is many times more intimate,more intense,more organic,more pleasurable,more spiritual than ever.Be careful whom you unleash this upon,though...I have to deal with two women from years back whom literally stalk me as a result of our intimate encounters.I oughtta sicc Jenn on em,lol.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:57:21 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 08:08:32 pm »
I am currently building my stamina by running everyday and lifting weights. My ultimate goal: To study and practice parkour.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 08:11:01 pm »
I am currently building my stamina by running everyday and lifting weights. My ultimate goal: To study and practice parkour.

Yo Ed...didn't you hip me to that video RUN BRITAIN?

Yo jenn...you still have that email at livejournal? I sent the video clip to that email you gave me on livejournal...
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Jenn

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 09:41:43 pm »
Nope; it's jennifer@itsthejoint.net.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:24:35 am »
Nope; it's jennifer@itsthejoint.net.

alrighty then...it's at your email as of yesterday
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 05:29:06 pm »
Thanks for the Yoga info Supreme and Jenn. You know, some days I just don't feel like going outside and yoga seems like the best bet.

That's awesome mental and physical strength. Is this harder than lifting dead weight though?
...Rassclaat.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 06:19:31 pm »
yeah, picking up a 300 lb dude who does not want to go with you is way, way harder than pushing a barbell with 10 plates on it...

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 07:08:53 pm »
yeah, picking up a 300 lb dude who does not want to go with you is way, way harder than pushing a barbell with 10 plates on it...

Picking up a 300 pound guy who's resisting you is not dead weight,though.That's resistant,unbalanced,irregular weight that's probably striking you back,lol.I generally recommend running away from that guy or shooting him,lol.I've fought a 315 pound kickboxer before.Very unfun.I managed to zoom around and strike him with multiple shots,but his ONE front kick really made me reconsider the hardships of life,lol.I mean,was all this pain worth it? HAHAHAHAHA.I won because this guy wasn't as fast as I am and kept absorbing full powered combinations until he got tired of all that and tackled me with a single leg (did I mention he was a wrestler,too?) I had a triangle 90% locked in when he started lifting me off the ground.Immediately,nightmarish images of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson power bombing Ricardo Arona unconscious sprang into my mind and I transitioned to a sicc armbar and cranked it so hard I heard his arm pop.He tapped immediately.

I got out of there before he had the use of his arm back.Haven't seen him since then,I'm glad to say.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: