Author Topic: MILESTONE RETURNS #0, itís finally happening!  (Read 594 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: MILESTONE RETURNS #0, itís finally happening!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 04:14:09 pm »
excellent and enjoyable overall.

Random musings:  SPOILERS!!

Fascinating to see the different art styles at work here.  The early Static sequence, the art seems partially anime'-manga inspired.  The new introduction to Virgil, his family members, friends, intriguing.

I have to retool my mind to look at this now.  When I first was introduced to the Milestone characters, Virgil and Raquel would have been around my age.  Now they are clearly Generation Z (and their parents are likely "my age" in-story), and have social perspectives based on that cohort.

I have to think about the 25+ year jump in eras since we last had consistent stories told about the Milestone heroes.
.. barely any Internet by the time things stopped publishing in 1997.. Internet and social media all over the place and growing now..
now, there's much more black and BIPOC presence in mainstream popular culture, music, theater, TV, film, other creative arts..

Seems like Static doesn't have a secret identity now.. or does he?  In this era of cameras on "everybody", hmm.. wonder how they'll address it.  It's interesting to see.  Obviously Icon can tap into dozens of video camera feeds... and even what some people are typing on computers/tablets?  That one exchange where Virgil seemingly isn't talking out loud but rather is typing on something, and Raquel reacts to it.. lol.. I guess that sequence in Dark Knight where Bruce sets up a cell phone spying machine is similar..

Glad to see the beginnings of Hardware, Icon & Rocket..  I hope that Hardware gets to take on all sorts of bad folks, and I hope we get to see flashback sequences to his youth, growing up being "adopted" by a company like Apple or Microsoft or 3M...

I'm surprised already that Arnus is giving a speech to the United Nations. I didn't remember that he'd be into doing that this early.  I guess we'll see how the 'world' knowing who he is impacts the saga now.  I definitely want to see some supervillains in the Icon/Rocket saga, though I appreciate the real world conflicts that they are addressing.

Sidebar:  I hope that this isn't controversial, but I'm actually okay with Raquel not getting pregnant in this current narrative.  It was a bold choice in the first era, and had compelling subplots, but I hope that the writers don't feel "obligated" to go there this time around.

I wonder who this mysterious 'bat-man' (yeah, I know) is..

I wonder when we'll get to see the new Blood Syndicate.. some old characters plus some all new ones.

The asian-american couple.. the new version of someone?  A body-sharing narrative? Hmm..

I hope that prose novels eventually are produced, as well as radio dramas (podcasts), and of course eventually animation and live action.

Oh, last but not least, I'm looking forward to seeing the archival material in hardcopies, even in budget form (e.g., black/white printing, on newsprint, like the Marvel Essential collections and the DC Showcase collections).
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 12:32:59 am »
excellent and enjoyable overall.

Random musings:  SPOILERS!!

Fascinating to see the different art styles at work here.  The early Static sequence, the art seems partially anime'-manga inspired.  The new introduction to Virgil, his family members, friends, intriguing.

I have to retool my mind to look at this now.  When I first was introduced to the Milestone characters, Virgil and Raquel would have been around my age.  Now they are clearly Generation Z (and their parents are likely "my age" in-story), and have social perspectives based on that cohort.

I have to think about the 25+ year jump in eras since we last had consistent stories told about the Milestone heroes.
.. barely any Internet by the time things stopped publishing in 1997.. Internet and social media all over the place and growing now..
now, there's much more black and BIPOC presence in mainstream popular culture, music, theater, TV, film, other creative arts..

Seems like Static doesn't have a secret identity now.. or does he?  In this era of cameras on "everybody", hmm.. wonder how they'll address it.  It's interesting to see.  Obviously Icon can tap into dozens of video camera feeds... and even what some people are typing on computers/tablets?  That one exchange where Virgil seemingly isn't talking out loud but rather is typing on something, and Raquel reacts to it.. lol.. I guess that sequence in Dark Knight where Bruce sets up a cell phone spying machine is similar..

Glad to see the beginnings of Hardware, Icon & Rocket..  I hope that Hardware gets to take on all sorts of bad folks, and I hope we get to see flashback sequences to his youth, growing up being "adopted" by a company like Apple or Microsoft or 3M...

I'm surprised already that Arnus is giving a speech to the United Nations. I didn't remember that he'd be into doing that this early.  I guess we'll see how the 'world' knowing who he is impacts the saga now.  I definitely want to see some supervillains in the Icon/Rocket saga, though I appreciate the real world conflicts that they are addressing.

Sidebar:  I hope that this isn't controversial, but I'm actually okay with Raquel not getting pregnant in this current narrative.  It was a bold choice in the first era, and had compelling subplots, but I hope that the writers don't feel "obligated" to go there this time around.

I wonder who this mysterious 'bat-man' (yeah, I know) is..

I wonder when we'll get to see the new Blood Syndicate.. some old characters plus some all new ones.

The asian-american couple.. the new version of someone?  A body-sharing narrative? Hmm..

I hope that prose novels eventually are produced, as well as radio dramas (podcasts), and of course eventually animation and live action.

Oh, last but not least, I'm looking forward to seeing the archival material in hardcopies, even in budget form (e.g., black/white printing, on newsprint, like the Marvel Essential collections and the DC Showcase collections).

Peace. It would be good to get some trades like they did for the original 2099 series of comics. Man, what a time to get into comics back in the day when Milestone came out. This took me back. Great post Hype! Milestone Returns and Static are two of the most highest rated comics I have seen on Goodreads.com
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:34:58 am by True Father Sankofa »
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 03:00:41 pm »
Static #2 and Icon #1 out today. I enjoyed both.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."