Author Topic: Can Someone PLEASE tell me what BET Animation has coming up?  (Read 17468 times)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
I heard Vin Diesel is doing Hannibal the Conqueror for BET.
What else is going on?
What Milestone property is gonna get the JLU-like treatment on BET?

And what days and times will these shows be airing on BET?

(oh yeah... i'm glad that this site is back!)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Can Someone PLEASE tell me what BET Animation has coming up?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 03:20:37 pm »
yea bro, i had the same questions but still nothing. what is the word over at b.e.t.com

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:22:32 pm »
I searched BET.com all day yesterday and found NOTHING!

and the only reason why i heard about Vin Diesel's project is because Attack of the Show had a blurb about it on their runner.
*sigh*
i guess they haven't found out that he's black, yet.

and i'm disappointed that neither G4 nor IGN.com had anything to say about BET Animation!  Where's the love?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 03:29:51 pm »
Well, just to be helpful, there are threads about it on Dwayne McDuffie's forum.
From there:
The BET series will feature a new character designed by Dwayne and Denys, not Hardware. The new character apparently doesn't have a settled name yet, but looks to be an African American man wearing some kind of armor (less bulky than Hardware's) with a symbol on his chest.

SO, that's the haps. ;D

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 03:37:38 pm »
gggrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaat.

still nothin'.

me, i want it ALL!

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 03:45:10 pm »
Well, just to be helpful, there are threads about it on Dwayne McDuffie's forum.
From there:
The BET series will feature a new character designed by Dwayne and Denys, not Hardware. The new character apparently doesn't have a settled name yet, but looks to be an African American man wearing some kind of armor (less bulky than Hardware's) with a symbol on his chest.

SO, that's the haps. ;D

-------------------------
very nice discussion and great news. i am so excited and hope that those involved in the show can come on here and keep us updated.

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 06:14:01 pm »
i went over to G4TV.com weeks ago and posted a message about BET panel at comicon due to the fact they will have ATOS live at SD.  They had their gameplan set for months on what to air or mention. 

we just need to wait a bit longer for more 411   ;)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:16:05 pm »
HOW MUCH LONGER?
if i'm not mistaken, today was the last day of extended comic con coverage!

what am i waiting for?  the dvd extras of AOTS' coverage of Comic con 2006?

Offline Rasmane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 06:38:11 pm »
From there:

Like everyone else, I only saw it briefly, but the character is indeed armored (actually looking more completely cybernetic to me than like a man in a suit), and carries a high-tech staff and what looked like a Congolese throwing axe. It was hard to make out the symbol on his chest (Cowan has a scratchy drawing style, don'tcha know, and I wasn't exactly sitting close to the video screen), but it looked the same Adinkra symbol, gye nyame, that creator Chuck Collins uses prominently in his Dread Society X.) While the symbol has varying "translations", Denys Cowan said it meant, "Love God, fear no man", so I'm thinking it was this one (possibly turned 90 degrees):

http://www.welltempered.net/adinkra/htmls/adinkra/gyen.htm

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 08:18:07 pm »
From there:

Like everyone else, I only saw it briefly, but the character is indeed armored (actually looking more completely cybernetic to me than like a man in a suit), and carries a high-tech staff and what looked like a Congolese throwing axe. It was hard to make out the symbol on his chest (Cowan has a scratchy drawing style, don'tcha know, and I wasn't exactly sitting close to the video screen), but it looked the same Adinkra symbol, gye nyame, that creator Chuck Collins uses prominently in his Dread Society X.) While the symbol has varying "translations", Denys Cowan said it meant, "Love God, fear no man", so I'm thinking it was this one (possibly turned 90 degrees):

http://www.welltempered.net/adinkra/htmls/adinkra/gyen.htm

now if that isnt an image for a tatoo. got to make sure i research it though. you know you trip when you see those folks with the asian and tribal tats and your like what tribe you belong to? moteasir?

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 08:38:21 pm »
now if that isnt an image for a tatoo. got to make sure i research it though. you know you trip when you see those folks with the asian and tribal tats and your like what tribe you belong to? moteasir?

I can say with accuracy that that is in fact an Andrinka symbol.
...Rassclaat.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 11:56:41 pm »
Ahem.

Here's what happened during the BET panel:

First I showed a reel of upcoming shows on BET.  Because I figured a lot people at the con either didn't know what BET was, or had an outdated idea of what it was. 

What was on the reel?

Reality shows like KEYSHIA COLE: THE WAY IT IS and DMX:  SOUL OF A MAN.  Both of which are on Wed. nights starting at 9pm.

Specials like THE TOP 25 HOTTEST BODIES (hosted by Kevin Hart and Toccarra), which has already aired and was a hit on the network.

Ongoing shows like THE BLACK CARPET (which covers the world of entertainment from the Sundance Film Festival to The Detroit Player's Ball) and HOTWYRED, which covers the world of online, gaming and electronics.

News specials like SAVING OUR SELVES - ONE YEAR LATER, which offers eyewitness testimony about what IS and ISN'T happening in the wake of Katrina (this will air in August).

Then there are the shows slated for the fall. 

BEEF is a weekly series based on the popular documentary DVD line.  It will feature old and new school rap beef (LL vs. Kool Moe Dee, Jay Z vs. Nas), and also expand into sports beef (Shaq vs. Kobe), olds chool beef (Diana Ross vs. Mary Wilson), even supermodel beef (Niaomi vs. Tyra).

THE NEXT LEVEL:  VINCE YOUNG is a sports show that follows the Rose Bowl MVP as he transitions to the pros.

AMERICAN GANGSTER is a series that will profile the most imfamous gangsters in our history - Nicky Barnes, Freeway Rick, Tookie Williams, The Chambers Brothers, etc....to see not only their rise and fall, but their effect on the communities they destroyed.

Okay, all of that was just the introduction of WHO the network is. 

Then I went into what's coming up in the world of animation.

I introduced Sidney Clifton, one of the top executives at Film Roman, and showed their reel of work, which is vast - from Simpsons and Family Guy to...well it's pretty damn impressive.

BET and Film Roman are hammering out a deal to partner on projects.  Quite frankly, this deal alone is big news.

Then I explained the BET Animation roll out plan.

This winter, I will be showing animated shorts throughout our programming day.  It will be a wide range of styles.  To demonstrate my point, I showed two examples.

One is a six second short about Biggie Smalls.

Then I showed an award winning short called BID 'EM IN, based on a song by Oscar Brown Jr.

After it was over, silence, then applause.  It's that kinda short.  Knocks the breath out of people.

Then I gave a few glimpses of the future.  The series that will be debuting in fall '07. 

I started with a sketch by Denys Cowan.  Everyone I show this sketch to is blown away.  Then I said the show will be written by Dwayne McDuffie.  Yes, the Milestone team back together again...creating an original show for BET.

Then I showed 30 seconds of conceptual art from HANNIBAL THE CONQUERER, which will be produced by and starring VIN DIESEL. The African King who conquered the world will have an animated prime time series on BET. 

Then I took questions.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 12:05:25 am »
Oh and crazy response afterwards.  Marvel execs very impressed by everything, and emails for days after from Hollywood producers who were in the room. No one, even my friends, saw all that coming. 

michaelintp

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 12:13:16 am »
Just FYI for the fans out there, to know one of the key players:

Sidney Clifton

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 02:02:38 am »
This isn't BET, but I love the Afro Samurai trailer! I hope it rocks!
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?