Author Topic: Sambo's - The Restraunt?  (Read 4440 times)

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
Sambo's - The Restraunt?
« on: May 23, 2007, 01:17:37 am »
Does anybody  remember a restraunt chain called Sambo's. It was big in the South for many years. So far, only one other HEFfer rembers and he is the first person in along time that I discovered that seems to remember like I do. Does anybody else who grew up in the seventies or earlier remember this place?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Sambo's - The Restraunt?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 03:45:44 am »
Oh yeah, I remember.  I think they changed their name to "No Place Like Sam's" after the lawsuit. 

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:33:57 am »
I remember, too. 

Here's the Wikipedia link.

Apparently the name came from a combination of the founders' names (Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett) but they embraced the little black Sambo imagery.

They went from 1,200 outlets in 47 states in 1979 to bankrupt two years later.  Karma is a bitch.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:47:26 pm »
no wonder i don't know anything about this.... it dried up in '81.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:58:13 pm »
I have very dim memories of one near where I grew up, around that late 70's era.. I remember the sign was similar in shape to Denny's..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:12:33 pm »
I remember, too. 

Here's the Wikipedia link.

Apparently the name came from a combination of the founders' names (Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett) but they embraced the little black Sambo imagery.

They went from 1,200 outlets in 47 states in 1979 to bankrupt two years later.  Karma is a bitch.

~~"IT'S THE BIG PAYBACK!!"~~---James Brown

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »
I thought Sambo's became Denny's.
Thanx for clearing that up.

You know what?
We can't get Wiki over here any more.
It's blocked!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:21:07 am »
Oh I remember that racist basterd…

Sambo’s eh… yea it’s suppose to be a story in INDIA.. I  mean tigers right? around a tree.. then why the hell did they call it “Little black Sambo” ??? eh? What’s up with that sh*t?

He got his butt sued off and rightly so.. The whole stack of more then a hundred pancakes was suppose to be the thing I guess since Sambo’s was sort of like Denny’s with the breakfast menu.. but as I remember it Their Pancakes SUCKED!!  Yea let’s make a breakfast restaurant and name it “Negro Please” and then feature Pancakes or something but let’s make those pancakes taste like sh*t!. Brilliant!

What an idiot.. the worst thing for me though was when this clown Sold Pistol Pete Maravich and the NEW ORLEANS JAZZ to Utah? Yea now it’s the Utah Jazz?? Who the hell goes to Utah for Jazz?? Shouldn’t it be the Utah Tabernacle Quire? 

Sorry for the Rant but the name Battistone tends to send me into a  frenzy..

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:51:47 am »
yeah the Utah Jazz actually tops the LA Lakers and Arizona Cardinals for "team names that should have stayed in the region they were created".

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:50:31 pm »
Anytime Los Angeles wants to give the Lakers back to Minneapolis... you won't get many complaints round here!! LOL!

I'm sure KG would be fine with it as well.. I'm just not sure Koby's head would fit by the Target center doors?? I'm sure we could install a special Koby entrance for him though..

Seriously though, I admit Koby is one hell of a basketball player yea he might hog the ball some but it's hard to complain when he's draining em from everywhere on the court. KG is awesome as well, but what I admire the most is his loyalty, the guy just doesn't complain one bit.. in my opinion he's getting a raw deal here in MN. McHale has got to have done the worst job anyone has ever done in regards to a general manager of a pro basketball team, his track record is horrendous... under the table deals with Joe Smith that cost us seven years of draft picks... Training Rastovanovich's (sp?) teaching him everything he knew only to lose him to Dallas when he finally showed some promise.. trading Chauncey Billups to Detroit for basically nothing.. yea that was brilliant.. trade away the NBA MVP for the playoffs.. and then to top it all off when folks started complaining and demanded a change... his answer.. Fire Flip Saunders!! what a pinhead! Just because Mchale was a decent player doesn't qualify him in the slightest to Manage a team.. I can't believe this guy is still in charge.. Anyone of those decisions would have been grounds for firing most GM's.. I just don't get it?

The general temperament here these days is "dayyamm what's sup!! would you please get KG some decent players Dog!!"

p.s. sorry to turn this into a B-ball thread.. but hey threads go where they go don't they... LOL. 

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 05:53:48 pm »
I remember as a little itty bitty going there for those pancakes on weekends we had 1 in los angeles on the corner of 6th and Vermont. They didn't have all nifty flavored syrups like ihop that was across the street (which is still there).

Offline Jihad the Roughneck

• Thomas Sankara was the greatest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 01:08:12 pm »
There was a Sambo's on El Camino Real in Santa Clara CA where I grew up and my great grandparents used to take me there for breakfast on Sundays as well. That was bugged out in retrospect. The building is still there but its like a
Bakers Square or something now.
I've got bass tone, I use cologne
and I rock the funky rhymes on the microphone
RUNDMC perfection