Author Topic: Blade Has Been Failed by Marvel Comics, and the MCU Proves It  (Read 111 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:48:21 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Blade Has Been Failed by Marvel Comics, and the MCU Proves It
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 12:01:29 pm »
Glad someone at Screen Rant saw what I've been seeing for decades now, that Marvel squandered the opportunity to make Blade a major character in the comics due to the gift the Wesley Snipes' films gave them.

I think they wasted him because they were viewing the character often through a racial filter and just couldn't conceive of letting a black character shine (especially in the 90s and into the 00s). Even with his last solo series-which was at times decent-it wasn't as good as it could've been. The artwork, even from the renowned Howard Chaykin, didn't do it for me, they gave Blade an S-curl in the Aughts, and then cut off one of his hands which he replaced with a wooden stake, it was too many not cool things. That said, some of the villains, like the vampire priest and even Blade's father, the Lex Luthor-looking Lucas Cross, weren't bad. I do think that series started with a cool story about a vampire infested SHIELD helicarrier, and I would like to see that in live action. Marvel has also had an issue giving Blade some bad hairstyles over the years.

I did like his one-shot Strikeforce book during the War of the Realms but was iffy on the team book that came after. I didn't care for the Spirits of Vengeance event, and lost interest, after Wong openly disrespected Blade and the other people he had gotten to help him. If he was so much better than them, then why ask them for help? Didn't make sense to me and just disrespected characters for no reason. I did like the Blade vs. Wolverine one-shot and would like to see more stuff like that. The X-Men: Curse of the Mutants book was okay. The first part of the MI13 "Vampire State" was epic, but the second part underwhelming. I didn't care for the Ultimate: Blade vs. Avengers which got too silly for my taste. I did like how it started with Blade in bed with some ladies, which established that Blade finally has sex (something the movies and television were really reluctant to do). I thought his role in the Mighty Avengers run wasn't bad (a little silly at times though) and I liked the Avengers '72 idea and wouldn't have minded seeing more of that. I thought Hudlin made good use of Blade in his Black Panther run. And despite how they've done him over the decades I am intrigued by Blade playing a major role in the Heroes Reborn event and plan to give that a chance.

I can't just get on Marvel. I think David Goyer as well didn't know what to do with Blade, without Wesley Snipes. He sidelined him in Blade Trinity and again in Blade: The Series, for white characters.

I don't agree with the new Blade movie director that Blade has no comics canon. He might not have a lot, or much that the director, or many others consider good, but he does have some. I read the Blade: Black & White trade they put out years ago and I changed my mind about how corny the original conception of Blade looked. Those stories weren't as bad as I was thinking they would be. And while the comics Blade doesn't compare to Snipes, there's still some stuff in those books they could use for movies, etc.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 12:03:58 pm by Emperorjones »