Author Topic: The New Warriors Thread  (Read 34635 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The New Warriors Thread
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:06:04 pm »
This thread is set up in anticipation of the new upcoming New Warriors Series. Since we are in support of black talent at Marvel I thought it would be cool to sticky this thread much like McDuffie's F/f thread. Like that thread feel free to post specific subjects in your own thread but for general discussion use this one.

Hear from yall on Wednesday/Thursday. :)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
Re: The New Warriors Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:22:34 pm »
to tell the truth, my interest in the New Warriors ended when Marvel blew them up

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:15:31 am »
no spoilers in this comment, but I saw the advanced copy at my store and I can't say I saw anything in it that made me want to buy the book.  Now, when this first arc is all done and it's collected in a Trade, I might love it.  I will probably re-check the book tmr and maybe changed my mind, but what I saw in an first issue, didn't catch my interest.  (Of course, my wallet appreciates that.)

With this comment, a tiny spoiler--for a team book, I want to see the team.  (Or at least be interested in the spotlighted character and their story.)  His Vindicator's book caught my eye with just a flip through; this hasn't.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 02:11:23 pm »
I am gonna jump on this for the first 12 issues and see how it pans out...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Sunjata

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 06:09:05 pm »
Just finished reading the first issue and I thought it was good for a beginning.  I enjoyed the writing and the art.  I will at least follow it through the first story arc.

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:22:08 pm »
Just finished reading the first issue and I thought it was good for a beginning.  I enjoyed the writing and the art.  I will at least follow it through the first story arc.

Yea, I think that the writing is so far pretty good and I still remain interested.

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 11:15:55 pm »
pretty good first issue, got me interested enough to buy the second issue( can't say the same for uncanny #486). If that is thrash under the hood then I am definitely in for the long haul. Oh and the writing and story were A-level.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 08:51:25 am »
I couldn't buy it this week. I hope there are still copies next week. But whoa, I didn't expect these guys to be in it.  :o Kevin's been keeping track of Marvel.

But what good is an ex-mutant on the team?
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 11:46:18 am »
Man I don't know what some comic fans are looking for but what I like this book had it all. Good work Kevin. This looks like it is going right up to the top of my pull list. I actually think that this book has a good nich for itself with marvel crazily ditching the Young Avengers like it has. I mean im not sure if marvel has room for two teen books but The New Warriors can creep into the Young Avengers territory if Kevin keeps up the good stories like this.

Sunjata

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 08:40:26 am »
Here is a good review of issue number one.  It contains spoilers if you haven’t read the comic yet.

http://aboutheroes.com/content/2007/06/new_warriors_1_review.php

New Warriors #1 Review
Posted by EvilOmar on June 7, 2007 8:19 AM

Author: Kevin Grevioux
Penciler: Paco Medina
Inker: Juan Vlasco
Colors: Marte Gracia

From listening to our podcasts or just reading some of my reviews, you know how much I loved the original New Warriors series. It's up there amongst my favorite comics of all time. So when they turned the team that I loved into sh*t in volume 2 and then utter sh*t in volume 3, you pretty much know what my expectations were when I heard about Volume 4. Not only did they kill 3 core members in Civil war (Speedball is dead. f*ck Penance!), but the writer on volume 4 was a Hollywood screenwriter. I wanted to hate this; I really wanted to hate this.

It was a little goofy to at the beginning when Wondra yelling at Grey Gargoyle to: "Tell them. Tell your friends. Tell everyone. This is only the beginning." Reminded me of Batman. Actually all that was missing from those lines was: "I'm Batman!" But, what really hooked me was the fact that we get to see an author finally use some of those depowered mutants from M day. We are reunited with Sofia Mantega (Wind Dancer from the New X-men) and Barnell Bohusk (Beak from Morrison's New X-men). It is here that Sofia is contacted by the New Warriors and offered a spot on the team. Supervillians are found tied up with New Warriors graffiti everywhere by the New York Police department. As she is teleported to the home base, she is greeted by the original leader of the New Warriors Night Thrasher. Whether this is the original Dwayne Taylor is unknown right now, but hell one can only hope.

We know where these kids stand, we know they are against the idea of the Initiative, so I like them already. Sofia and Barnell were more likeable in this single issue then their entire run on their significant books. Seeing the two get reunited and Sofia's surprised look when she found out who Barnell used to be was priceless. Grevioux does a really nice job of making these characters more realistic and as stated earlier likeable. What really got me excited is the possible return of Night Thrasher, because after all who is to say he was the one that died in Stamford. Sure this team needs is Namorita, Hindsight Lad, and Firestar/Marvelboy, but even without those wonderful characters showing up, for some reason I find myself already hooked. As far as the story is concerned everything was perfect, just wish they had at least introduced all the key characters that will make up the team. I hope this doesn't go the way of recent team books that take at least 6 issues before the team is complete.

Medina's art has only gotten better with time. He is the perfect artist for this book. The characters look sharp and proportioned. Reminiscent of Mark Brooks or Ale Garza, but it still retains Medina's own style. My only complaint is the look of Barnell, who even as a human was portrayed a big nose skinny guy. In this book he is a handsome looking guy, but I don't know if Medina or Grievioux is to blame. The colors are wonderful and make the environments come alive. At a time when a gallon of gas is more than a price of one comic book, it's really hard to get into new books, but I have now regained my faith in Marvel and their handling of the New Warriors.

A- Kudos to Grievioux for not making this anything like Underworld.

Sunjata

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 01:13:02 pm »

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 12:12:29 am »
That is some nice looking art.

Offline Static Froggy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 12:34:41 am »
yea paco medina is a dope artist

Sunjata

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 06:07:09 am »
I agree.  The art is awesome.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 10:59:50 am »
I agree.  The art is awesome.

Absolutely.I cosign that.I also echo the kudos on the sentiment that kevin didn't make this like UNDERWORLD.Terrific approach.Who was the X-dude kissing ole gurl? Hell,who was ole gurl he was kissing too?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw