Author Topic: Hard Choices Kane or Rakim  (Read 5399 times)

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
Re: Hard Choices Kane or Rakim
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 07:31:26 am »
yall know they took subliminal shots at each other constantly back in the day, right?  Sorta like LL and Jay now, in fact LL got a song with G Rap and 50 Cent where he makes it known about his feelings for Jay.

PEACE

What subliminal shots? I never heard this before, what are the songs?

We were living for this confrontation back in my early teens so I find it hard to believe that it never came up.

they were supposed to battle at a club for money long time ago.  Ra references this story many times in interviews.  I will look for a link later for you but does this line below ring a bell

"I don't have to sniff Kane to be Raw!"  Come on fam, u aint catch that!?  lol

PEACE
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 08:38:27 am »
Rakim was good an all, but I listened to him and Kane alot as a kid, and he just never had Kane's charisma, alot of Kane's stuff I still think sounds dope today like "No half Steppin", while alot Rakim's songs were good then but sound like crap when I play them today.  And as far as him being revolutionary, please, there's only so many ways you can rhyme words, I love rap, but it was never that complex.  Rakim is overrated.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 01:57:08 pm »
yall know they took subliminal shots at each other constantly back in the day, right?  Sorta like LL and Jay now, in fact LL got a song with G Rap and 50 Cent where he makes it known about his feelings for Jay.

PEACE

We were living for this confrontation back in my early teens so I find it hard to believe that it never came up.

they were supposed to battle at a club for money long time ago.  Ra references this story many times in interviews.  I will look for a link later for you but does this line below ring a bell

PEACE

When did Rakim use that line? Was that in the heat of the battle from 88-91/2?

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 02:01:07 pm »
Rakim was good an all, but I listened to him and Kane alot as a kid, and he just never had Kane's charisma, alot of Kane's stuff I still think sounds dope today like "No half Steppin", while alot Rakim's songs were good then but sound like crap when I play them today.  And as far as him being revolutionary, please, there's only so many ways you can rhyme words, I love rap, but it was never that complex.  Rakim is overrated.

With all due respect your wrong. East Coast rap at the time was sped up in both beats and flow; Rakim came in with a deliberate flow coupled with Eric B's and Marley Marl's tailored beats. Who sounded like Rakim prior to his emergence? Even more importantly how many Rappers sound like Rakim after his emergence?

It isn't an overstatement to say you can measure Rap in terms of the pre and post Rakim era.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 08:35:32 am »
With all due respect your wrong. East Coast rap at the time was sped up in both beats and flow; Rakim came in with a deliberate flow coupled with Eric B's and Marley Marl's tailored beats. Who sounded like Rakim prior to his emergence? Even more importantly how many Rappers sound like Rakim after his emergence?

It isn't an overstatement to say you can measure Rap in terms of the pre and post Rakim era. ---Jefferson Sargeant

There is some truth to that. Check out Nas' Illmatic...

particularly 'It ain't hard to tell'
Very strong Rakim influence. Then everyone else came with Rakim's 16 bar style of rhyming right after Nas.

...but, uh, yeah...I think Kane not only had the rhyming 'skills that pays those' but the charisma that can play characters that can support other actors like in 'Posse'.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 09:14:17 am »
Rakim set a high standard in the rap/hip hop genre....his skills are legend.  Rakim = Rap G.O.D.

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 06:47:13 pm »

PEACE

PEACE

When did Rakim use that line? Was that in the heat of the battle from 88-91/2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Ngld3sKLc

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 06:49:03 pm »
that was cute in the recent Lord Sear interview when Rakim shared some bars he took out of Let the Rhythm Hit Em for Kane but those who were paying attention back in those days know what was goin' on... (certain things capitalized and emphasized for the slow folks below)

Kane on Set It Off-"The RAP SOLOIST/ you donít want none of this/ save the bass for the pipe and rearrange your tone/ or take a loss and be forced in the danger zone"

Rakim on Follow the Leader-"ďNo need to speed/ slow down and let the leader lead....word to DADDY, indeed! /The Rís a rollin' stone, so Iím rollin"/ directions is told, then the rhymes are stolen
stop buggin', a brother said, dig 'em, I never dug 'em
he couldnít follow the leader long enough so I drug 'em
into danger zone, he should arrange his own
face it, itís basic, erase it, change ya toneĒ

And on the song Hypnotic posted above,"ďI donít sniff no Ďcaine (Kane) to get RAW ( a play on Ra's name, as well as the title of a Kane song)