Author Topic: Denzel's American Gangster  (Read 19210 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
I hope there is an extended cut of the "real" DVD
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2007, 11:00:28 am »
I think that the film would have been even better if the filmmakers had shown Frank's childhood growing up in Jim Crow-era North Carolina, and his introduction to the Harlem underworld as a young adult.. toward the end of the film we get the brief line from him about seeing his cousin tied up and murdered by local police/klan, but this would have been a powerful scene if it were filmed.. the idea being , that a black 'gangster' of Frank's generation just doesn't come out of nowhere; showing how racism, for better or worse, shaped his attitudes and beliefs, much differently than the 'immigrant dreams' that figure into the stories of white ethnic crime figures..

(and I hope the film's actors get some Oscar nods, especially Denzel..)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:06:16 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Denzel's American Gangster
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2007, 07:25:22 am »
Agreed.  The movie could have also added a better "build up" scene for Washington to play out as he came closer to his demise....the screenwriters/director/producer could have given more play for Ruby Dee as his mother, with his mentor Bumpy Johnson grooming him and his youth (mentioned above). 

Very good movie that missed a few story points but the acting is top notch.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2007, 08:58:32 pm »
Gangster almost held the top spot 2 weeks in a row. With almost a 1,000 more screens Bee Movie won by just over  a million and a half. I wouldn't be surprised if Gangster comes back and claims the Box office lead next week.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2007, 07:57:40 am »
Gangster almost held the top spot 2 weeks in a row. With almost a 1,000 more screens Bee Movie won by just over  a million and a half. I wouldn't be surprised if Gangster comes back and claims the Box office lead next week.

What kind of weekend do you think Beowulf will have?  I can really see it going either way.

Also, believe it or not, I kinda want to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.  While not really something I'd usually want to see, with Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman, how can it be bad?  ;D

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2007, 01:36:39 pm »
Beowulf is tough to predict. We all know the story but the digital animation may not be enough to hook a large box office opening. If comic Book, Sci-Fi and general action fans come to see Beowulf I think it will take in 25 million. That may be enough to beat out Gangster and Bee Movie, anything less and I think it will be 3rd.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2007, 02:12:55 pm »
more so than the movie itself, I want to see Beowulf because I hear the new Cloverfield trailer is before the movie!  ;D

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2007, 08:29:54 pm »
more so than the movie itself, I want to see Beowulf because I hear the new Cloverfield trailer is before the movie!  ;D

Cloverfield trailer is now up at Quicktime site...

I'm getting worried now..  How in the world did he manage to make this trailer even less interesting than the last one??

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2008, 08:49:48 am »
has American Gangster been nominated for ANY awards?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2008, 12:25:04 pm »
Have you guys heard about the feds/dea suing because they were depicted as villians in the AG movie? hahahah, silly!

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22716542

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2008, 05:32:23 pm »
Actually, it's a private suit by 3 former agents.. I'm not sure what they are suing for, exactly , since they were never even named or represented conspicuously in the movie.    ???

Is anybody actually surprised that the movie isn't entirely accurate in its depiction, having been based off of Lucas himself, and one notorious magazine article quoting Lucas?

I'm surprised no one has sued Denzel yet for acting so well that he made moviegoers believe Lucas was far more charismatic than he was in real life...

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2008, 06:57:11 am »
anyone see the dvd is up for order? regular, HD and 3 disk special edition/directors cut.  I'm going for the 3 disk on a blind buy...

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2008, 09:29:30 am »
HD and not bluray?
cool.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: I hope there is an extended cut of the "real" DVD
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2008, 08:53:20 pm »
I think that the film would have been even better if the filmmakers had shown Frank's childhood growing up in Jim Crow-era North Carolina, and his introduction to the Harlem underworld as a young adult.. toward the end of the film we get the brief line from him about seeing his cousin tied up and murdered by local police/klan, but this would have been a powerful scene if it were filmed.. the idea being , that a black 'gangster' of Frank's generation just doesn't come out of nowhere; showing how racism, for better or worse, shaped his attitudes and beliefs, much differently than the 'immigrant dreams' that figure into the stories of white ethnic crime figures..

I don't know. It was a highlit moment in the film when Frank tells Crowe's character about his cousin's murder. He then smacks away the coffee. He displays that sudden hot tempered behavior that reminds us he's a gangster but now we see where that anger comes from. 
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?