Author Topic: The Dark Knight (Batman)  (Read 33117 times)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: The Dark Knight (Batman)
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2008, 07:46:50 pm »
did dark knight raise the bar that IRON MAN set?
or did they both raise the bar for comic book movies.

I think they both did.  I was trying to compare them but I'm not sure you can.  They are two different kinds of movies.  Iron Man had a lot of light hearted moments and at times was larger than life.  The Dark Knight was trying to stay grounded in reality (well, as much as is possible in these movies) and was really a drama. 

Still, this is a great year for comic book movies!

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2008, 07:53:03 pm »
Just got back from seeing it. That's definitely going in the collection when it comes out on DVD.

Did the theatre break into applause during any point in the movie when you guys saw it?

when the cycle popped out
when he rode it up the wall to turn around
When we find out who was driving the SWAT truck holding Harvey.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2008, 03:55:13 pm »
I watched it on IMAX last night. I give it a 7/10. That's 1 below my comparison of Iron Man (8/10) and I'd give Spider-Man 2 a 9/10. The action suspense was great, although there were moments where I kind of figured out what was coming next. The drama became drivel near the end. Once again the villains stole the show, but I'm letting that slide because poor Heath Ledger is gone.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2008, 04:23:37 pm »
When we find out who was driving the SWAT truck holding Harvey.

Big round of applause for that.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »
Just got back from seeing it today. One word. DAMN!!!!  This movie raised the bar that Iron Man raised earlier in the year.  JLI...I'm with you, man...I loved seeing Two-Face, but Harvey Dent was even better.  I was hoping it wouldn't happen to him...just this once.  I can't wait to see this one again!

I don't think it was groundbreaking like Iron Man or Spider-Man 2. But I'll argue that next week, after everybody has seen it. Got to go to work now!  :)
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2008, 11:59:07 pm »
Wow. To be honest I thought this movie was WAY better than Iron Man and I didn't think ANY super heroe movie would have knocked it out of the running this summer. DK definitely raised the bar that IM set (I even liked it better than the Hulk and I liked THAT movie better than IM). I liked IM but I was ok seeing it once. To be honest I felt the same about the Spiderman series.But, I saw DK at the IMAX and I knew I had to see that movie again! I had to give this flick at least an 8 out of 10. Nolan brought it hard with this one! This was better the Batman Begins. My only gripe was that I felt Michael Jai Whites character kind of got punked by the Joker in the end. I was expecting more from MJW character for some reason. I also expected some better fight scenes. Batman didn't seem all that fast or extremely skilled when he was fighting in this flick. I guess I would have liked some of the same choreography in the Jason Bourne movies.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:03:07 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2008, 02:33:28 am »
The weekend numbers for the DK are in; 155 million for three day weekend making it the #1 opening movie of all time, 115 tickets sold every second!

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2008, 05:00:27 am »
Wow. To be honest I thought this movie was WAY better than Iron Man and I didn't think ANY super heroe movie would have knocked it out of the running this summer. DK definitely raised the bar that IM set (I even liked it better than the Hulk and I liked THAT movie better than IM). I liked IM but I was ok seeing it once. To be honest I felt the same about the Spiderman series.But, I saw DK at the IMAX and I knew I had to see that movie again! I had to give this flick at least an 8 out of 10. Nolan brought it hard with this one! This was better the Batman Begins. My only gripe was that I felt Michael Jai Whites character kind of got punked by the Joker in the end. I was expecting more from MJW character for some reason. I also expected some better fight scenes. Batman didn't seem all that fast or extremely skilled when he was fighting in this flick. I guess I would have liked some of the same choreography in the Jason Bourne movies.

I'll argue this more later. But I still don't think Dark Knight established anything new for a superhero film. When he chose to become the daemonseed in the end I felt that he wasn't standing firm on his own. In fact, thoughout this film I didn't think he had as much conviction as he should have. You could say they followed the formula, making this film like the Wrath of Khan, or Empire Strikes back. This film was well packaged to those guidelines, except in this film, Batman decides to play the fall guy in some misguided act of martydom. And once again, the sequel has the superhero losing his love interest. It happened in Superman 2, Blade 2, X-Men 2, & Batman Returns. They stuck to formula. But with Spider-Man 2 he gets the girl in the end. That is one of my favorite groundbreaking moments for a superhero flick.

As for Michael Jai White, Gambol seemed like the kind of character who'd get p'wned by the Joker.  ;D But it was great to see Tommy Lister shine as the man who made the noble choice in the ferry. That scene reflected what happened in the train scene in Spider-Man 2. But this time, after all the many repeated explosions and death threat scenarios, the people had to make the choice of how to save themselves. Thankfully, the efforts of heroes do inspire the common folk and they will amaze us with good deeds. But in the end of Dark Knight, the people are perceived to be weak and stupid anyway; they're not ready for tragedy of Harvey Dent, whom Batman couldn't save. Hello! Didn't anybody see Se7en? You're telling me after what happened at the ferry, they'll fall back a peg because of Two Face? I say nay!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:41:13 am by Open palm »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 12:15:18 pm »
I'll have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the people at the end of the movie.  They weren't perceived as being weak and stupid, IMO.  As I see it they were perceived as beingthe most human and sane in a world gone totally insane.  The reactions of both sets of ferry travelers was one of the most realistic portrayals of humanity in one of these types of movies.  They're reactions and back and forth dialogues as well as the bluster of at least one of them made it very real to me.  

As for whether or not this was groundbreaking...I think it built upon and surpassed the groundbreaking Batman Begins.  To me, raising the bar is when people that don't read or care for comics or comic-based movies have the same reaction as comic fans.  Case in point, my mother in law called yesterday and couldn't stop talking about The Dark Knight and how much she absolutely loved it...trust me, she ain't the Dark Knight, action movie type, usually.  IMO, it's a rare movie that actually lives up to most of its hype.

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
DK was pretty off the chain. The best film i've seen this year. It's better than Ironman and i loved Ironman. I saw it in IMAX and wanted to get back into line to see it again. Ledger's performance in this movie was spectacular.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2008, 12:35:38 pm »
eeyahh!!

great film, I'm still trying to take everything in... great cinematography, acting, script was very intelligent, didn't get campy..

I'm glad this movie was 2:30!  they can all be this length--

somebody at Marvel get Nolan to jump ship and do Daredevil... they ripped off the radar sense!!

I wonder just what a part 3 could even accomplish..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2008, 01:20:13 pm »

I'll argue this more later. But I still don't think Dark Knight established anything new for a superhero film. When he chose to become the daemonseed in the end I felt that he wasn't standing firm on his own. In fact, thoughout this film I didn't think he had as much conviction as he should have. You could say they followed the formula, making this film like the Wrath of Khan, or Empire Strikes back. This film was well packaged to those guidelines, except in this film, Batman decides to play the fall guy in some misguided act of martydom. And once again, the sequel has the superhero losing his love interest. It happened in Superman 2, Blade 2, X-Men 2, & Batman Returns. They stuck to formula. But with Spider-Man 2 he gets the girl in the end. That is one of my favorite groundbreaking moments for a superhero flick.

As for Michael Jai White, Gambol seemed like the kind of character who'd get p'wned by the Joker.  ;D But it was great to see Tommy Lister shine as the man who made the noble choice in the ferry. That scene reflected what happened in the train scene in Spider-Man 2. But this time, after all the many repeated explosions and death threat scenarios, the people had to make the choice of how to save themselves. Thankfully, the efforts of heroes do inspire the common folk and they will amaze us with good deeds. But in the end of Dark Knight, the people are perceived to be weak and stupid anyway; they're not ready for tragedy of Harvey Dent, whom Batman couldn't save. Hello! Didn't anybody see Se7en? You're telling me after what happened at the ferry, they'll fall back a peg because of Two Face? I say nay!

Are you sure you didn't go into this flick already critical? I'm just saying this because I thought I read an earlier post from you that was already critical before you saw the movie. I'm just curious...  :)

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree with this one, because as a super hero flick, this particular Batman film raised the bar from the get with Batman Begins, in my opinion. This film was way better in the storyline, the way the cast of characters worked out and showing the further development of Bruce Wayne's continued growth as Batman than any of the other super hero flicks that have come out. Spiderman, Iron Man and the Hulk were all good movies and each one set a level that the following movies had to meet or beat. I think the story line in DK just took the film over the top compared to the others. I think what also makes this super hero film stand out is that it has a more "real" type feel to it. The thing I liked about Cris Nolan's interpretation of Batman is that you almost could believe this guy could really exist. A self made man who is uber-rich, disciplined in both mind and body, highly skilled in martial arts and tactics of illusion. Unlike the campy portrayals of the earlier movies, Nolan set out to make this franchise as "realistic" as possible. Cut all the fanciful unrealistic stuff (like laughing gas and Joker having actual white skin and green hair) The way Joker was portrayed in this film, you could believe someone like that could exist. I remember talking to many people who saw the original one (who are not comic book fans let alone Batman fans) and they kept saying that that was one of the appealing things about Batman Begins to them. I saw their point and agreed. In fact, I feel that this Joker came as close to what the comic has tried to portray him as and still remain somewhat realistic. a homicidal, unscrupulous, raving maniac that causes suffering on a large scale and seems to get the best of Batman at times making him the ultimate adversary.

As far as getting the girl in the end, that never really is something that the Batman legend goes for. Batman always loses the girl either voluntarily or through other circumstances. His life was never a happy ending, because to him the mission of fighting crime always took precedent over everything else. Bruce Wayne/Batman has always been the tortured soul whose interpersonal relationships have always suffered. If you are a long time Batman fan, you probably already know this just looking back at the character's comic history.

As for the people on the ferrys? I have to agree with Catch 22 on that one. But I do agree that I liked Tommy Lister's scene. It was another nice little twist that that movie had.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:34:37 pm by Evasive_1 »

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2008, 04:22:31 pm »
Co-sign. The closest thing to a steady woman in Bats life was either Talia or Selina Kyle or Barbara Gordon

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2008, 04:35:55 pm »
Gotta co-sign Evasive's post, too.  My wife and I had a similar conversation about Batman and women and I had to explain the exact same thing to her about Bruce's relationships with women.  Since you wrote it better than I explained it, I'll probably let her read your post.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2008, 05:25:41 pm »
Perfect. Absolutely brilliantly perfect.

I didn't believe it could live up to the hype but it supassed it. The Dark Knight brought a level of depth, complexity and intensity never seen in the superhero genre. When you see Ledger in the bank for the first time he immediately has you captured and every momenet after that is his descending into the madness that is the Joker. When these films work is when they take the essence of the characters and don't tamper with it and here Nolan did that seemlessly. Joker is insanity personified, Batman is the fanatic who has to come grips that he is fighting a war he will never win and the most tragic is Dent who becomes what he hated the most.

I mentioned the dual experience for a comic fan watching a comic based movie but here that wasn't present at all. I didn't know where each character would go and after I see glimpses of everything from Englehart, Miller, Kane and Finger I knew the movie was an all-time classic.

While it is selfish to focus on myself while Ledger's loved ones lost someone dear to them; I really wish I would've had the chance to see what he would've done next.

P.S. The Watchmen trailer on the big screen is incredible!