Author Topic: Will Smith's John Hancock  (Read 36564 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Will Smith's John Hancock
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2008, 08:33:40 am »
<<How do you know the ORDER of hancocks' invulnerability? He was nowhere near the woman when he got shot to me that is an inconsistency in the canon they (producers) are trying to establish.>>

His invulnerability started fading at their house after the diner.  He made a reaction to something hurting him.  So, it started fading when he was with her.

His recovery at the end of the movie as he moved away from her was inconsistant (because of the speed of recovery) if physical distance was the only issue.  I got the impression that it was emotional distance that counted.  He was feeling "for" her when he was shot, but at the end he recovered faster as he realized he had to leave her physically and emotionally.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2008, 11:22:02 am »
likewise it doesn't mean that it did happen either kip, we saw what the director wanted us to see a new type of superhero that is all powerful yet is allowed to do whatever he wants because of what? where was the military? in other superhero movies the Govt makes it's presence known as a barrier between the hero and the public and is willing to go toe to toe against the hero if necessary. The script wasn't well thought out despite the many examples of what does and doesn't work in superhero movies. A sequel can't show a scene where he and she had another conversation and she told him his real name if we didn't see it in the original and ask yourself why would he continue to use the name Hancock if his real name is Melvin?

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2008, 11:32:55 am »
I don't buy the emotional feelings play a part in how quickly they lose their powers, if for no other reason than the fact that he didn't "feel anything" towards her when we see them meet for the first time. Let's see he is weak enough to get shot so bad that he has to go to the hospital,yet he is strong enough to throw a chair through a wall, he is beaten on and stabbed but he can jump 10-12 stories to the street get grazed by a car/bus then get up and hulk jump away meanwhile wifey has died from a couple of bullets and only comes back to life after he vanishes over the horizon

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:01 pm »
I'm with Karaszero.  I know a lot cats like Hancock 'cause it's about an omega level Black superhero, but that weakness given the character in lieu of creating a formidable villain is wack.  I'm sorry.  There have been some wack weaknesses given to superheroes over the years but in 2008, this was unforgivable.  His mate, the one he is supposed to be with also makes him mortal?  What?  I don't even understand the point of that.  A proper mate (man or woman) makes a person stronger, not weaker.  It comes off as a lame twist just for the sake of having a twist.  And if they're so weak when together, it certainly didn't stop them from destroying Sunset and Highland.  And did anybody explain WTF was with the extreme storm activity during the fight?  Maybe I just missed it.

Francisco mentioned something about a person of color that old not really caring about other people who look like him doesn't really work because every time he walked amongst us mortals, his color would be an issue.  Especially when his mate looks like Charlize Theron.  there's no way he could look around and see what was going on with other Black folks and not be affected in some way. And if so, why would I, a viewer, even care about a character as detached as that?  I think the problem is that this script wasn't written with Will Smith, or any actor of color, in mind.  White people have never really been enslaved, executed, or oppressed in mass numbers so it's a lot more plausible for them to detach from their brethren.  A Black dude, or Jew?  Not so much.   :D

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2008, 02:08:01 pm »
Co-sign. i have a question though ...wouldn't an actor at will smiths' level have enough clout to ask questions or have any input relating to their character developement?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:10:29 pm by karaszero »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2008, 02:18:47 pm »
I'm with Karaszero.  I know a lot cats like Hancock 'cause it's about an omega level Black superhero, but that weakness given the character in lieu of creating a formidable villain is wack.  I'm sorry.  There have been some wack weaknesses given to superheroes over the years but in 2008, this was unforgivable.  His mate, the one he is supposed to be with also makes him mortal?  What?  I don't even understand the point of that.  A proper mate (man or woman) makes a person stronger, not weaker.  It comes off as a lame twist just for the sake of having a twist.  And if they're so weak when together, it certainly didn't stop them from destroying Sunset and Highland.  And did anybody explain WTF was with the extreme storm activity during the fight?  Maybe I just missed it.

Francisco mentioned something about a person of color that old not really caring about other people who look like him doesn't really work because every time he walked amongst us mortals, his color would be an issue.  Especially when his mate looks like Charlize Theron.  there's no way he could look around and see what was going on with other Black folks and not be affected in some way. And if so, why would I, a viewer, even care about a character as detached as that?  I think the problem is that this script wasn't written with Will Smith, or any actor of color, in mind.  White people have never really been enslaved, executed, or oppressed in mass numbers so it's a lot more plausible for them to detach from their brethren.  A Black dude, or Jew?  Not so much.   :D

'Sup Voodoo.

Who ever made them (God? Aliens?), designed them to help humanity and not rule it.

Their weakness gives a reason why the Supers didn't overrun the planet. They all eventually paired off and died. Which means for the Supers death was perferable to the endless cycle of taking mortal mates and watching them age and die on you over and over again for all eternity.   One of the suckiest things about growing older is outliving friends and fam. Imagine how THESE guys felt.

And I guess as a practical plot matter it wasn't until Will n Charlize had proximity to AND feeling for each other that they started losing powers.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2008, 04:56:44 pm »
Well, keep in mind that he was a depressed drunk, who didn't care about anyone, but because he was a hero at heart he kept trying and did a losy job of it.  Such a man wouldn't notice how general black man was suffering because then he'd have to care.

As far as his name, I can see him staying with the name "Hancock", because he wanted to redeem himself and his name.  Plus his real name might be something private; not for public.

As far as weakness; is it any lamer than color yellow or fire?  (Maybe they lost their powers when they found each other because the "powers that be" didn't want them reproducing, at least with each other.  Of course that is conjecture. 

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2009, 02:53:15 am »
maybe the fact that the others paired up and died means that they preferred a short life with the one they were made to be with rather than live an eternity alone and depressed with beings they can never truly be with, have children with, etc. This guy was under the impression that he was human and a freak accident gave him his powers, so when he finds out that he is immortal and has lived for decades with a being he was made to be with it would only make sense for him to want to know who he is, where he comes from, what his name is for the director to not show the audience that is a mistake, for will smith to read the script and not question that is a mistake

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2009, 10:14:49 am »
These are all good questions/remarks.  This story was built on top of the orig. draft of Tonight He Comes in which it was not explained how Hancock (orig name of super being) got his powers or his name. He was not a sympathetic character one bit. He drank even more so then the filmed version and basically loathed people until he met Theron's character (a normal woman sans powers) and he became obsessed with her to the point he engaged in a battle with her husband in attempt to kill him just so he could have her.

It was dark and very different than the filmed version and kinda ended on a downer, which probably was something neither Will, Peter Berg, and the Producers was interested in which is why we ended up with this lighter, more summer blockbuster friendly, hybrid of the two stories.

So imagining what it was meant to be then seeing what it actually became, maybe some of the topics here weren't questioned, maybe they were, but the end result was Will's biggest opening to date.  I'd have to say with the choices that were made...something was done right, somewhere.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2009, 11:26:51 am »
With the release of WATCHMEN right around the corner Tonight He comes In sounds more interesting. I would like to see The Black Pearl as well.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:30:20 am by karaszero »

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2009, 12:12:25 pm »
Well VC let's assume he did care and that whover tried to pull a fast one in him ended up in horbit around the planet. Does that work for you? ;D
Maybe the reason racism doesn't seem to exist in modern era was because before and after his memory loss Hancock used to dispatch anyone who messed with him. Yet he wouldn't try to go wide scale since for experience he knew that nothing would really change and instead of having racist white asshole we would end up under the jackboot of black or asian or any other insert race. :D

One reason for the army not to get involved with Hancock is that maybe they aren't as stupid as they are portrayed in other fictions. They know their weaponry is useless and since he isn't really doing that much damage they just leave him do his thing. It is not like he's trying to overthrow the government. ::)
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2009, 06:47:45 pm »
Dayam francisco you REALLY love Hancock/Will Smith don't you? ;D

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:12 pm »
Yep.. but don't tell Wesley Snipes. LOL
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2009, 04:03:53 am »
Too late I already dropped a dime on you! ;D