Author Topic: Storm's views of Cage  (Read 23967 times)

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
Storm's views of Cage
« on: August 02, 2007, 06:46:25 pm »
In the latest issue, it seems that though Storm doesn't have a clue about Cage. Just assumptions. I mean Cage is a guy who can speak five languages and is well read and has vast knowledge of the law. Yet she talks about him like he's beneath her. I would like to see a story where Storm and Cage share an adventure together and her opinions change on him.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Storm's views of Cage
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:03:46 pm »
Don't read too much into it. There wasn't that much interaction between them to begin with. Storm's first trip to a 'drug-plagued' Harlem wasn't the best first impression for her. Then in BP#14 we get Cage's view of her, which isn't very close. That doesn't mean they hate each other.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:23:52 pm »
is Jive a language?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:59:18 am »
Don't read too much into it. There wasn't that much interaction between them to begin with. Storm's first trip to a 'drug-plagued' Harlem wasn't the best first impression for her. Then in BP#14 we get Cage's view of her, which isn't very close. That doesn't mean they hate each other.
It's true. The two of them haven't interacted much, so you could see how he could pre-judge her as aloof and stuck-up, and she could pre-judge him as foolish and ignorant. However, they're both mature enough characters that, were they to spend some time interacting, they would soon realise that they had been wrong. And with the connections ot Panther Reggie's written, it could well happen.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 03:45:02 am »
It's true. The two of them haven't interacted much, so you could see how he could pre-judge her as aloof and stuck-up, and she could pre-judge him as foolish and ignorant. However, they're both mature enough characters that, were they to spend some time interacting, they would soon realise that they had been wrong. And with the connections ot Panther Reggie's written, it could well happen.

You know, people can view one another negatively, (even think the other person is stupid or alouf) bc of their "worldview" issues, not bc of how well they know each other.  Cage could consider her cold and alouf, bc she spent all her time in a mansion with white people, dealing with the big issues of mutant-human relations rather than working the streets of NYC.  On the other hand, Storm thinks he's small-minded because he's focused on the street-level issues and (this could be a dozy), he expects to be paid for being a hero.  They live in two different worlds; they may never get along.  Which is realistic; not everyone gets along and wives don't always like all their husbands' friends.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:18:15 am »
I really did not like the decision of Priest or was it in the New Heroes For Hire series? That decided that Cage could speak 5 languages and only spoke jive to throw people off. I mean what really does that accomplish? When did Cage learn these languages? In the can? I think that it hinders who the character is. I mean he isn't made better because of it? I don't think all heroes have to be sophisticated jet flying inventing geniuses to be effective. Look how in reality it is difficult to actually fly a jet plane but every hero in Marvel can fly the black bird and other sophisticated craft. Cage is a bare bones raw hero who was trained at the school of hard knocks. That works for me.

I think the whole 5 language thing places a hinderance on other writers as it looks like most have ignored it. Hey Reg five languages or no?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 07:00:53 am »
I really did not like the decision of Priest or was it in the New Heroes For Hire series? That decided that Cage could speak 5 languages and only spoke jive to throw people off. I mean what really does that accomplish? When did Cage learn these languages? In the can? I think that it hinders who the character is. I mean he isn't made better because of it? I don't think all heroes have to be sophisticated jet flying inventing geniuses to be effective. Look how in reality it is difficult to actually fly a jet plane but every hero in Marvel can fly the black bird and other sophisticated craft. Cage is a bare bones raw hero who was trained at the school of hard knocks. That works for me.

I think the whole 5 language thing places a hinderance on other writers as it looks like most have ignored it. Hey Reg five languages or no?

I don't know Cage that well, but I don't see anything wrong with speaking five languages in a business that needs heavy clientele. Maybe there are people in Harlem who taught him some words, enough to claim to speak five languages. Or maybe his adventures gave him that opportunity. Kitty Pryde speaks several and nobody gives her credit for that.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 07:12:17 am »
I don't think it has been explicitly stated 'exactly' how many languages Luke knows... his being self-taught in Law goes back to the original Hero for Hire 70's books.. Priest/Owsley in his PowerMan/Iron Fist run brought up the idea that Luke's tough-thug persona was largely shtick.. John Ostrander in his 90's Heroes for Hire picked up on the thread that he knows different languages and has done contract work for foreign governments..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Sunjata

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 07:25:39 am »
I like the whole idea that Cage is so much more than he seems.  People look at him and just see a big tough black dude from the streets.  I am sure that many of us here have had to deal with people thinking they know you based on their preconceived notions.  Hopefully Cage will get his own series soon with a good writer that can expand upon this.   

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 03:11:27 pm »
I don't think it has been explicitly stated 'exactly' how many languages Luke knows... his being self-taught in Law goes back to the original Hero for Hire 70's books.. Priest/Owsley in his PowerMan/Iron Fist run brought up the idea that Luke's tough-thug persona was largely shtick.. John Ostrander in his 90's Heroes for Hire picked up on the thread that he knows different languages and has done contract work for foreign governments..
----------------------
Ahh ok now I know and Knowing is half the battle right? :)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:24:29 pm »
----------------------
Ahh ok now I know and Knowing is half the battle right? :)

G.I. JOOOOOOOOEEEEE! GO JOE!! ahem,my bad,flash back there...

I like the whole idea that Cage is so much more than he seems.  People look at him and just see a big tough black dude from the streets.  I am sure that many of us here have had to deal with people thinking they know you based on their preconceived notions.  Hopefully Cage will get his own series soon with a good writer that can expand upon this.   

Co-sign like trigonometry!!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 07:02:07 pm »
I liked Cage since Alias and DD as a huge Jessica Jones fan. He's hardly stupid but he isn't Mr Terrific either.Captain America wasn't Mr Terrific. They both have a lot of heart.  I could see him and Storm not liking each other. I can see her thinking he's stupid and him her snooty. Works for me.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 08:27:54 pm »
Or it could just be the usual African vs. African-American cultural dispute. No biggie there.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 02:40:04 pm »
I don't think it was deep or cultural it was funny and her impression. I liked it showed some personality and that everybody isn't all chummy.

Offline jominick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 02:47:25 pm »
Storm is black not African.