Author Topic: McDuffie's JLA Thread.  (Read 147154 times)

Sunjata

Re: McDuffie's JLA Thread.
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2007, 07:42:07 am »
McDuffie gets some love in this Newsarama review.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=133784

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2007, 08:31:15 am »
McDuffie is bringing a great dynamic to this series that was lacking and it comes out in the pacing, characterization, dialogue and choice of heroes and villains.  Even the art seems slightly more detailed and stylized than before (Benes now has new inspiration).  The review was spot-on with its praise of Mr. McDuffie's work.

Sunjata

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2007, 12:05:48 pm »
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Feb08/solicitations.html

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #18
Written by Dwayne McDuffie & Alan Burnett
Art by Ed Benes & JonBoy Meyers
Cover by Ethan Van Sciver
WITNESS THE JLA’S BATTLE WITH THE SUICIDE SQUAD!
The Justice League Vs. the Suicide Squad for the salvation of the Earth’s villains! Plus, more on Vixen’s power flux.
On sale February 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Sunjata

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2007, 05:33:54 am »
Newsarama has posted a preview of JLA #15
SPOILER WARNING!!!  The outcome of last issue's cliffhanger is revealed in this preview!
Follow this link to see the preview pages.
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=137988

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2007, 07:33:21 pm »
It was a great read, although the one thing that bothered me was the no consistency in the art. The artist completely ignored how John Stewarts hair was since his return to the pages of the JLA with the Wedding Special. He had the cut from the animated series while this artist drew him with a full head of hair. But that is just the artist in me being nickpicky. I always look for small stuff like that, thanks to my college professors.

Overall, I felt it was a good issue. And could already make this good issue better? It is now confirmed that Firestorm is now part of the league, cause Batsman said so!!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2007, 09:05:22 pm »
I thought the storyline was average.  The bad guys beat up the good guys, go "mwah ha ha" and then lose. 

Vixen has no place on this team.  Her powers, or what is left of them, can not be trusted.  She is a liability to the team.  Also, Firestorm's reason for being on the team is silly.  If Batman wants him for that reason, then Firestorm should be on the Titans or even the JSA where they teach younger heroes to control and expand their powers.  The JLA should be the best of the best, and right now, neither vixen or firestorm qualify for that.  Let them go off, get their houses in order, learn to control/understand their power, and have them come back. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:01:32 am by JLI Jesse »

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2007, 06:49:08 am »
C'mon the JLA's always been the 'best of the best (and a few of the rest)'. Even when Morrisson took it back to the original 7, he was still using characters like Aztek, Steel and Huntress, and Firestorm is certainly level or above those guys. Plus, with Ronnie's links to the League, and him effectively dying on League business, there's been a feeling that Batman wanted a closer eye on the new Firestorm, ever since he broke into JLA headquarters in his own series.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2007, 10:33:12 pm »
Yeah, I've been waiting for Firestorm to join the team since McDuffie himself had so much as said he was taking the character to bigger and better heights when he took over writing Firestorm around the end of his solo series. McDuffie also commented  that he intended to use Vixen's loss of power  issue as story point fro the JLA series so I am not surprised both these characters are in the JLA line-up. Actually I'm glad that they are.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2007, 05:06:25 am »
I thought the storyline was average.  The bad guys beat up the good guys, go "mwah ha ha" and then lose. 

Ah, did you miss that piece of dialogue between Superman and Luthor at the end?  Superman doesn't believe that this fight was just as simple as bad guys fight good guys.  Something else was going on and luthor response that something "is" going on.  This isn't over.

Vixen has no place on this team.  Her powers, or what is left of them, can not be trusted.  She is a liability to the team.  Also, Firestorm's reason for being on the team is silly.  If Batman wants him for that reason, then Firestorm should be on the Titans or even the JSA where they teach younger heroes to control and expand their powers.  The JLA should be the best of the best, and right now, neither vixen or firestorm qualify for that.  Let them go off, get their houses in order, learn to control/understand their power, and have them come back. 

Vixen does need to get back to her powers, but that's no reason to drop her.  It's part of the story.  As far as Batman goes; he'd never put Firestorm on any other team, because he's too parnoid to let someone else do it. Yeah, it would fit the JSA's concept of teaching the next generation and such, but Batman saying--"You're here because I'm keeping an eye on you." is classic batman.

Oh on to BLANKs' comment about John's hair always being different?  that's simple--he's got a power ring.  Just like it can change their clothes into costumes and vis versa, it also moonlights as an instant barber who sells the best quick-hairgrow formula on the market today.  :)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2007, 01:04:52 pm »
Good ending to the issue and great art (better all the way around than the first few issues by Meltzer..it d/n drag).  Dialogue, plotting and pacing was spot on!

Sunjata

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2007, 06:21:43 am »
This was a very enjoyable conclusion to a fun back to basics tale.  I am really looking forward to see what is in store next.       

Sunjata

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2007, 08:15:45 am »
Looks like no McDuffie in March.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/March08/Sunday.html

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #19
Written by Alan Burnett
Art by Ed Benes & Sandra Hope
Cover by Benes
Don’t miss the final chapter of “Salvation,” as the JLA turn themselves over to the U.S. government to be sent to prison off-world! What old foe will they have to rely on to save themselves from planet hell?
On sale March 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Sunjata

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2007, 06:58:36 am »
5 page preview of JLA #16
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Dec07/previews/19.html

Here are 3 of the 5 pages.  John is in da house!!!  ;D

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2007, 09:17:49 am »
McDuffie is the man.....consistent writing powerhouse!   ;D

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2007, 04:22:20 pm »
JLA #19 is written by someone else.

is McDuffie taking a break or something?
say it ain't over already.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!