Author Topic: McDuffie's JLA Thread.  (Read 122262 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: McDuffie's JLA Thread.
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:44 am »
I dig the latest issue, #17, black lightning takes out some bad guys on his own..

and a Vixen-centered backup feature.. I really dig the art.. and the ending is curious.. (and awesome!)

I'm still woefully unhip on the broader villain-dom of the DC Universe (outside of the obvious batman/superman rogues).. who the heck are all these people?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Sunjata

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »
Just read the latest and enjoyed it.  The Vixen mystery deepens. 

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2008, 08:08:41 am »
Vixen is a Skrull!!!  :o

This was a very cool issue.  Good to see Lightning get some solo time in the book and the Vixen backup was great, too.  The Art was very Joe Maduiera/J.Scott Campbell - ish....not really a plus for me, but the mystery surrounding her is intriguing.  I expect no less from DmcD.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2008, 03:05:26 am »
Hey. Justice League of America #19 was written by Alan Burnett and not by Mr. McDuffie. I hope this doesn't mean he will no longer be writing the book.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2008, 02:31:16 pm »
Hey. Justice League of America #19 was written by Alan Burnett and not by Mr. McDuffie. I hope this doesn't mean he will no longer be writing the book.

Burnett wrote the last three issues to help McDuffie get caught up on his writing, according to the man himself. Dwayne comes back next issue I think.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2008, 07:38:44 am »
Burnett wrote the last three issues to help McDuffie get caught up on his writing, according to the man himself. Dwayne comes back next issue I think.
Yeah, it's the return of Dwayne, and The Flash (apparently Wonder Woman wants to find out just why the hell he's not been showing up at JLA meetings).

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2008, 12:52:50 pm »
Love the pacing on this book now....when it started the previous writer took forever to tell the story and now McDuffie brings it...even when he just writes the backup or takes a break for an issue or two.  Nice change.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2008, 08:47:00 am »
Love the pacing on this book now....when it started the previous writer took forever to tell the story and now McDuffie brings it...even when he just writes the backup or takes a break for an issue or two.  Nice change.
Yeah, and I found that Red Tornado story pretty moving.
"I may not dream of electric sheep, but I still dream."

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:16 pm »
McDuffie brings the Flash back into the book and provides stellar pacing, action and characterization (even Black Lightning got a chance to kick some butt). Wasn't the same without McD.....

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2008, 08:06:07 am »
JLA #21 spoilers

Great issue overall.  I hope that Carlos Pacheco sticks around as artist, or alternates with Benes…

…I have never heard of the Human Flame—and I happen to agree with Firestorm’s comment..  ;)  I am also woefully unfamiliar with the greater DCU’s legion of villains, beyond the most obvious Superman/Batman foes..  Just who are all those people?

…So, have Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman become the Illuminati?  The League above the League?  Uh-oh…

…But I am pleased to read that Steel and (presumably) John Stewart were involved in the design/construction of this ‘secret room’.  Excellent!

…So now this Libra is what, the ‘Hood’ of the DCU now?  Promising to gather all the villains and give them what they want, under his leadership?  Hmm…

…And what happened to J’onn J’onzz at the end?  Summoned from elsewhere? Or…
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2008, 08:34:05 am »
JLA #21 spoilers

Great issue overall.  I hope that Carlos Pacheco sticks around as artist, or alternates with Benes…

…I have never heard of the Human Flame—and I happen to agree with Firestorm’s comment..  ;)  I am also woefully unfamiliar with the greater DCU’s legion of villains, beyond the most obvious Superman/Batman foes..  Just who are all those people?

…So, have Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman become the Illuminati?  The League above the League?  Uh-oh…

…But I am pleased to read that Steel and (presumably) John Stewart were involved in the design/construction of this ‘secret room’.  Excellent!

…So now this Libra is what, the ‘Hood’ of the DCU now?  Promising to gather all the villains and give them what they want, under his leadership?  Hmm…

Answering your questions in order...

Most of the other villains at the meeting were Flash Rogues. The talking Ape was Gorilla Grodd, the guy in the parka with the goggles is Captain Cold.

The Big 3 have a oddly paternalistic attitude towards the JLA, way more so than most of the other founders (except for J'onn "Heart and Soul of the League" J'onzz). So they want to make sure the League is performing up to their standards. Note that the League reorganised while the Big 3 were still deciding who they were going to let in.  It'll be interesting to see how long it take Black Canary(who is SUPPOSED to be in charge) to get fed up with all this. :D

Libra is an obscure D.C. villain who only appeared once in comics (so of course, I remember him PERFECTLY :)) Think of him as an evil John The Baptist paving the way for a even greater evil.

I think J'onn is teleporting home from his adventures in the Salvation Run miniseries.

Hope my longwindedness was of SOME use to you....:D     

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2008, 08:47:29 am »

It has long been rumored that J'onn dies in the first issue of Final Crisis...which would upset me to no end  :'(

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2008, 02:29:21 pm »
...which would upset me to no end  :'(

Yeah he's supposed to die. But he'll be back like all other dead characters.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2008, 09:00:27 am »
Can I just say that Dwayne is a fantastic writer.  What a great issue.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2008, 11:51:07 am »
Can I just say that Dwayne is a fantastic writer.  What a great issue.
Seconded. I loved the way he lets Batman be open and even fallible with the other Big Two, but he's still got that quintessential Batman quality. Like his acknowledgement that Superman can't do things the way Batman does because being Superman puts different responsibilities on him. And lines like 'Everyone has to be able to trust me. I'm Superman.'

-Harriet Tubman