Author Topic: Damn, Reggie, why do you hate Black people SO DAMN MUCH!!!??  (Read 44347 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Damn, Reggie, why do you hate Black people SO DAMN MUCH!!!??
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2007, 08:06:12 am »
That was the crazy part.  They were so polite and intelligent, and the "host" was trying to get his Rush Limbaugh on.

Jenn

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 09:10:35 am »

Has there been more than one CNN interview?  Regarding the one I saw, there was nothing that sounded like crying to me.  Agree or disagree, they seemed to address their points civilly and somewhat lightheartedly.

You call it politeness, I call it bitching like little girls.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:07:32 am by Jenn »

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:16 am »
I finally watched the whole thing and I agree with Hulkster.  YMMV. 

Tony Harris comes off looking like an a**clown foolish to me.  The whole setup starting with the Electric Company, Schoolhouse Rock, and Sesame Street as a basis of comparison speaks of willful misrepresentation.  I thought the songwriter and director made their points pretty well in a obviously hostile situation.  (OK, there were a couple times when the songwriter could have used a little more bass in his voice.) 

Still, when the third guy didn't condemn the video sufficiently, Tony Harris jumped in himself. It was like a Daily Show spoof only he was apparently serious.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2007, 11:32:12 am »
It seems to me this is a tempest in a thimble, not a teacup.

I wouldn't know about the RAB video or the micro-controversy AT ALL if I didn't hang out here.

Black folk being mad at each other is ALWAYS good press and the quickest way to get face time on the airwaves is to denouce some other brother.   It scares me that so much thought is spent on this kind of thing.

You don't like RAB or HOT GHETTO MESS, change the channel.

Jenn

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2007, 12:29:03 pm »
It seems to me this is a tempest in a thimble, not a teacup.

And this is the biggest problem. I would've been sooooooo happy had this crap just been ignored. But nooooooooo, it went all the way to CNN, proving that once again, black people have our priorities in the wrong place.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2007, 01:15:48 pm »
proving that once again, black people have our priorities in the wrong place.

Exactly!
I agree, luv.

why is this such an issue when there are more important things that need to be discussed?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2007, 01:22:54 pm »
Because solving real problems takes time, and there aren't easy solutions.  But attacking a media product is good press, and getting something banned is an easy "win"...not to be confused with actual progress.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 01:24:28 pm »
EXACTLY!!
I feel you on that, Reggie Reg!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2007, 02:13:41 pm »
That was the crazy part.  They were so polite and intelligent, and the "host" was trying to get his Rush Limbaugh on.

Yep.  And furthermore, they didn't even criticize the criticism that they were receiving.  They just debated the points.  One of them actually embraced and praised the criticism coming from the group of parents because it created dialogue. 

I can see validity in both sides of the argument, but as far as presenting the arguments in an intelligent and dignified way, I was very pleased and impressed with the two brothas.  Unfortunately, I think that there is a modern trend among brothas and sistas today to view this a sign of weakness, thus being intelligent and dignified is somehow interpreted as being unmanly. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:16:08 pm by Hulkster »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2007, 02:21:19 pm »
one of my ex gf's didnt like the fact that I "didn't" argue with her and she viewed that as a sign of weakness.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 03:11:04 pm »

Yep.  And furthermore, they didn't even criticize the criticism that they were receiving.  They just debated the points.  One of them actually embraced and praised the criticism coming from the group of parents because it created dialogue. 

I can see validity in both sides of the argument, but as far as presenting the arguments in an intelligent and dignified way, I was very pleased and impressed with the two brothas.  Unfortunately, I think that there is a modern trend among brothas and sistas today to view this a sign of weakness, thus being intelligent and dignified is somehow interpreted as being unmanly. 

In reference to your points about weakness, I think it is an integral part of the Mini-Mart revolutionaries and their tactics. When BET decided to change the name of HGM to We Got To Do Better, that single act was taken not as compromise but capitulation, and even more, validation of the crtics of the show. The damage of that decision was then compounded by it giving MCcaulley legitimacy and a "victory" upon which she can build a platform for future attacks.

I am not an executive at BET and therefore am not privy to the decision making process there. Judging from Reggie's track record he probably made the concession in hopes that the attention could return to the message of the show. Obviously, it was a big mistake and it spawned much of what we are seeing now.

The appearance of weakness can't be allowed when operating under the current climate.

Jenn

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 07:14:17 pm »
The appearance of weakness can't be allowed when operating under the current climate.

BINGO.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2007, 01:25:48 am »
And will you guys PLEASE stop with the "we have to talk to them to get the message across" crap?
I interpreted it as being more 'this is what we could end up having to do to get messages across,' and even then I read it as comedic exaggeration (you know, a joke ;)). I never interpreted it as being, 'this how bad things are now.' And I do agree with you, Make it Burn, and the other stuff by those guys are great, spot-on satires as well, but I just see them as coming from a different direction, rather than a better one.

Also, good choice of 'madness' clip.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:33:34 am by Wise Son »

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2007, 12:33:33 pm »

In reference to your points about weakness, I think it is an integral part of the Mini-Mart revolutionaries and their tactics. When BET decided to change the name of HGM to We Got To Do Better, that single act was taken not as compromise but capitulation, and even more, validation of the crtics of the show. The damage of that decision was then compounded by it giving MCcaulley legitimacy and a "victory" upon which she can build a platform for future attacks.

I am not an executive at BET and therefore am not privy to the decision making process there. Judging from Reggie's track record he probably made the concession in hopes that the attention could return to the message of the show. Obviously, it was a big mistake and it spawned much of what we are seeing now.

I don't disagree with what you said, but I'm not sure how this relates to the CNN interview or if it was meant to be. 

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2007, 03:05:29 pm »
It relates to the CNN interview because the producers of RAB were not assertive enough in defending their vision of the project. When Harris pulled his low-budget imitation of O'Reilly with "I can turn your mic off" the producer should have talked even more. Call his bluff, and if he turns off the mic that will show his true intentions.

The deference the producers showed to Harris was taken advantage of. I have seen numerous interviews on CNN where the interviewer attempts to insult and/or condescend to the guest and they guest immediately checks them.