Author Topic: Is Sam Jackson going to be Nick Fury?  (Read 4684 times)

sunjata

Is Sam Jackson going to be Nick Fury?
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:13:08 am »
From MTV.com
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1538752/story.jhtml    (scroll down)

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's ... mutha-effin' Samuel L. Jackson? According to the 57-year-old actor, one of the few things he has left to accomplish in Hollywood is to fulfill a lifelong desire to become a superhero (we guess voicing Frozone in "The Incredibles" doesn't count). He's now trying to find a script. "I see [Marvel movie producer] Avi Arad a lot, because we live in the same neighborhood," Jackson said. "I express my interest in [working with him]. I always wanted to be Iron Man, because he was always like the rich dude who created this whole thing." He's not really kept as a superhero, he just creates stuff to make himself a superhero as a rich guy." Although an "Iron Man" film is on Marvel's fast-track, Jackson is doubtful that he'd ever be asked to play Tony Stark. The actor is, however, hopeful that Arad will listen to his pleas regarding another veteran Marvel hero with a film in development who was recently given a comic-book makeover to resemble none other than ... Samuel L. Jackson! "Nick Fury would be great," Jackson said of the hard-boiled S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. "I've been reading Nick Fury since when I was a kid. I collect comics. ... I'm kind of geeky." ...

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
Re: Is Sam Jackson going to be Nick Fury?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:01:20 pm »
Please, please, please, Arad.  Listen to Sam and let him be Nick Fury.  Can you imagine how many people who don't like comics would show up because Samuel L.  Jackson was in a Fury film.  Just look at how Snakes on a Plane got tons of publicity when Sam agreed to be the lead:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-08-16-samuel-l-jackson_x.htm

Furthermore, I think the Ultimates trades would get a boost in sales because of Fury's resemblance to the superstar actor.

So, Avi Arad, listen to you business sense and let Jackson's play the ultimate superspy.

zeraze
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 08:25:32 am »
how about The supporting cast?  Should it be the Ultimate world, or the 616 world, with Dum-Dum, Gabe Jones, the Contessa, etc.?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 05:10:54 pm »
Even though Sam L. Jackson is Ultimate Nick Fury, Nick Fury isn't a super-hero--He's James Bond without the British Charm.  Not a bad role, but if he wants to be a super-hero, he should be a super-hero.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:47:26 pm »
Ultimate Nick FURY!!

HELL YES!!!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:07:48 pm »
the first questions to ask.  does the avg comic reader want MU Nick Fury or UA Nick Fury. 

sunjata

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 02:08:55 am »
the first questions to ask.  does the avg comic reader want MU Nick Fury or UA Nick Fury. 
Since the screen writer to the Avengers film said he is probably going to base his script on the Ultimates, the Nick Fury film may end up being a prequel to that film.  So it may be logical to make an Ultimate Nick Fury movie.

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 05:54:32 am »
Since the screen writer to the Avengers film said he is probably going to base his script on the Ultimates, the Nick Fury film may end up being a prequel to that film.  So it may be logical to make an Ultimate Nick Fury movie.

AG, sunjata and again good to have you back on the board Brah!  I can witness that a lot of movies w/ marvel charcters are going to be based on what's the current trend and popularity.  EX:  IM will be fighting in Aftgan instead of Vietnam and NF will be based on Ultimate world vs MU.  As much as SLJ is the man as an actor and we know he is NF, for the sake of having a discussion and to be differnet, I gonna say my pick is MU NF.  I can see MU NF character not in WWII, but have him white instead of Black.  Believe me, SLJ can pulled it off.  sounds like like a contridiction from my POV?   ??? ???

sunjata

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 04:30:15 am »
AG, sunjata and again good to have you back on the board Brah! 
I am glad to be back.  I really missed the place when I wasn't posting.

I can witness that a lot of movies w/ marvel charcters are going to be based on what's the current trend and popularity.  EX:  IM will be fighting in Aftgan instead of Vietnam and NF will be based on Ultimate world vs MU.  As much as SLJ is the man as an actor and we know he is NF, for the sake of having a discussion and to be differnet, I gonna say my pick is MU NF.  I can see MU NF character not in WWII, but have him white instead of Black.  Believe me, SLJ can pulled it off.  sounds like like a contridiction from my POV?   ??? ???
Just saw and enjoyed Sam in Snakes on a Plane yesterday.  Would love to see him as Ultimate Fury on the big screen.  MU Fury came out of the 60s spy pop culture (Bond, I Spy, Man from U.N.C.L.E., etc.) trend.  MU NF has no place in a modern movie.  Yeah, they could just update him but Ultimate NF was already tailored made to reflect these times.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 07:53:02 am »
Not that well tailored. Many experienced/veteran C.I.A. members have quit under the Bush Administration. And America's intelligence groups don't even rank in the top three. That's bad in a field where 2nd place isn't good enough.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

sunjata

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 08:03:18 am »
Not that well tailored. Many experienced/veteran C.I.A. members have quit under the Bush Administration. And America's intelligence groups don't even rank in the top three. That's bad in a field where 2nd place isn't good enough.
Of course if there really were a S.H.E.I.L.D. things would be different.  :)

I was mostly referring to how MU Fury is a reflection of the Cold War while Ultimate Fury reflects the challenges and attitudes of some of those that have the task of protecting the interests of the U.S. today.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 01:43:41 pm »

I was mostly referring to how MU Fury is a reflection of the Cold War while Ultimate Fury reflects the challenges and attitudes of some of those that have the task of protecting the interests of the U.S. today.

A big difference between the two is that MU SHIELD is an international organization and Ult Shield is a strictly US organization.

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 05:24:56 am »

A big difference between the two is that MU SHIELD is an international organization and Ult Shield is a strictly US organization.

in the real world, the UN is supposed to be a enity of its own, BUT the US govt has more power and persuasion to enforce action then the UN (IMHO).  As I think about more, to have ult NF battling the hidden forces of corrupted US officials and US pay masters, SLJ as NF would be a great film.  Is it possible to have both worlds somewhat combine (MU and Ult Universe)?  Meaning, have ult NF (Brother SLJ), but instead of SHEILD as a US organization like in ults, have SHEILD as an international organization (MU)?