Author Topic: The Batman..anybody watch it?  (Read 16044 times)

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
The Batman..anybody watch it?
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:21:44 am »
I found out about the new Batman cartoon a year ago when a Halloween special came on, Batman vs. Dracula. The animation is nice but it definitely wasn't the same Batman from the JLU series. Anyway I started watching the show from time to time and actually started to like it. Alot of the villains have been reimagined in one way or another but the series is actually ok. The series started out with Batman going solo, then eventually Batgirl teams up and then Robin. Last season he teamed up with Martian Manhunter and he joins the Justice League.

Well, I caught the season premiere last week and guess who is teaming up with him now? Would you believe Superman?!? But that isn't the best part. In this two part episode you have Superman, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor and the same voice actors from the JLU series are voicing the characters! Now, Clancy Brown was already on the new Batman series voicing Mr. Freeze, but it was really cool to hear him reprise the role of Lex Luthor. The only downside is that Batman is not voiced by Kevin Conroy in this series so he is the only unfamiliar voice to longtime fans.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: The Batman..anybody watch it?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:08:46 am »
darn you!
i thought i was gonna be the first to post about this show.

i LOVE the batman.
a lot of ppl hate it because it's a new twist on the dark knight...kinda like an elseworlds version, ya know?

anyway, what's cool about this season is that the voices from the bruce timm era DC shows are being used: Superman/Clark, Lois Lane, Luthor and maybe Jimmy Olse, but im not sure.

it just made the show THAT MUCH BETTER.

now to read the first post.
 :D

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Sunjata

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:07:16 am »
I am a Batman fan.  Love the Bruce Timm version!  I watched about 5 episodes of this version and hated it.  I am done with it.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:43:14 am »
It's definitely not Timm's Batman, but I've been hooked since the first season.  Some great voice acting has earned  it 4 daytime Emmys.  You can see the deliberate pacing of the series through the last 3 seasons, and it's probably a bit easier to handle the transition if you watch the DVD's.   

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:15:57 am »
The re-imagining of the villains have been hit or miss for me, but for the most part, I like the show.  It's definitely not the Timm-verse version of Batman, but I don't mind....it makes this take more unique, like MM said you can view it like an "Elseworlds" version of Batman.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:18:02 am »
glad 2 know that you guys aren't haters cuz this is great television!
:)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:21:38 am »
glad 2 know that you guys aren't haters cuz this is great television!
:)

What's not to like?  Unlike the last Spider-Man Animated Series, Bats actually gets to punch people and show his physical prowess while at the same time figuring things out with that keen detective mind.  It's depth is not that of the original Batman:TAS, but it's good fun.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 07:49:17 pm »
I am a Batman fan.  Love the Bruce Timm version!  I watched about 5 episodes of this version and hated it.  I am done with it.

Give it another shot.  The first year of this was rough, but as the series went on it either got better or it grew on me. 

My only fear (well, not a fear, just wondering) that it is going to become Batman and the DCU more than just Batman.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 02:22:28 am »
My only fear (well, not a fear, just wondering) that it is going to become Batman and the DCU more than just Batman.

Yeah, I'm scared that may happen too. I hope they just keep the other DC heroes to guest appearances only.

Speaking of which, did anyone catch the one episode that was in the future? Showed Batman nearing the end of his career, Nightwing and Oracle. Even though this Batman series is kind of a re-imagining, the producers don't go to far from canon. I think one the biggest shifts from the original legend is Batgirl becoming Batman's sidekick before Robin showed up.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:25:14 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 06:00:10 am »
Speaking of which, did anyone catch the one episode that was in the future? Showed Batman nearing the end of his career, Nightwing and Oracle. Even though this Batman series is kind of a re-imagining, the producers don't go to far from canon. I think one the biggest shifts from the original legend is Batgirl becoming Batman's sidekick before Robin showed up.

Well, to me, Joker was the biggest shift.  Making him an acrobat took some getting used to, but yes, that episode was probably the best of the series.  That "older" Bats and crew would make an interesting series.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:06:07 am »
Well, to me, Joker was the biggest shift.  Making him an acrobat took some getting used to, but yes, that episode was probably the best of the series.  That "older" Bats and crew would make an interesting series.

..and him running around without shoes like an animal, or Bane turning into some type of big, red creature out of Monsters,Inc.. Pretty much all the villains have a new look and sense about them. I didn't like all the changes they did either, but eventually the show grew on me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:52:30 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:19:26 am »
I enjoy both Batman and Legion. The new take on Batman's beginning is nice and this version of the Joker is the best imo. He comes off as a worthy opponent for Bruce.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 03:55:43 am »
I"m a die hard Bruce Timm fan to the end, that being said I still really like this new Batman Cartoon.  A little two much on the gadgets sometimes, and I didn't care for the new clayface or the kung fu penguin, but other than that I'm aiight with it.  Martain Manhunter and Supes are a welcome addition, hopefully we'll see more league members soon...

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 06:07:51 pm »
Okay, just watched the second part of the Batman/Superman team-up. I have to say it was off the hinges! This episode truly stand up there with the Bruce Timm/McDuffie JLU series. Batman and Superman actually fought and it was done in a somewhat realistic (for comic book characters) way. This episode only made me fiend for a return of the JLU series. From the way things are going I could actually see WB restart one which, if they can get most of the original voice actors and story writers, would be cool.

Unfortunately, I see the Batman series becoming a series of Batman team ups with the JLA members. Though I liked this last episode, it kind of turn into a Superman show near the end. In fact, Green Arrow is supposed to be in the next episode. If things keep going this way, we'll see all of the JLA show up in the Batman series. This, of course, would make alot of the Hal Jordan fanbratti happy as the League is made up of only Hal, Flash, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Martain Manhunter (I know some want to classify Jonn as a hero of color but other than is voice actor you don't see that. Afterall, his identity is still a white guy) and now Superman. The JLA depicted in Batman has no heroes of color or women. No Wonder woman (yet), John Stewart or Hawkgirl.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:34:04 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 06:36:15 am »
kids wb! comes on Sundays in Atlanta... so i'll watch it later 2day.