Author Topic: What do we do with Whites when...?  (Read 13759 times)

Offline Brian Richardson

• Jus' Me
    • View Profile
What do we do with Whites when...?
« on: September 29, 2007, 05:35:06 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen of all Colors, Race and Creeds,

What happens in the future?  I mean this seriously.  I live in West Texas, in area quickly becoming more Hispanic/Latino by the day.  At some point, within the next ten years, people of color will outnumber Caucasians in my community.  This is far from hope, but merely a fact.  So I have to ask, what becomes of the other races?  African American, Asian, and White folks will be a minority when looked at by themselves.  The beginnings will only have people of color being a majority with Caucasians only slightly behind.  But, with the growth of the Hispanic population in this area at seemingly unstoppable growth, due to immigration and other factors, where is the place for everyone else?

Currently, we are lucky.  Our major High School has a black Principal.  He is an awesome man.  My wife teaches French at his High School.  Dr. Coleman is an asset to this school district as well as this community.  As much as I hate to keep a brother down, it would be a shame for him to move to administration only.  In school, he can effect every brother and sister there.  Keep in mind, Blacks are only the third largest racial community in this region, behind whites and Hispanics.  Aside from schooling, most elected officials are white and Hispanic.  In fact I think I should change that to -all- elected officials...

So what can I do, as a 30-something brother?  I want to keep our folks vital, responsible and active.  What would (or will, eventually) happen if we as, African-Americans, end up being second (or third, ugh!) again, as far as population is concerned?  Should we assert ourselves now more than ever, to make sure our voice is heard?

I don't mind white folks.  Racism here has almost always been directed toward Hispanic folks.  Blacks have been second class citizens at times, but mostly, we are a novelty (though I am happy to say a beautiful young sister was chosen as home-coming queen at last night's High School Football game).  What can and should I do to make sure the black voice is heard in this community?  Keep in mind, I am only three and a half hours from the borders of Mexico, but Hispanics are moving North at about the same rate the are immigrating, either legally or not. 

I am asking, what can we as a people do to ensure our viability in a rapidly changing nation where Hispanics may well become the next majority? 

Thank you for your sincere thoughts and recommendations.

Brian Richardson
What I become is greater than who I was.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: What do we do with Whites when...?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:16:32 pm »
First off I think the Black "culture" needs to be defined past being "equal" to White. Also I think that the racial "conversation" would move forward in this country if Blacks admitted that they were racist too as EVERYONE in America is racist. NOTE: Racism does not equal evil.For instance if I say I want my daughter to marry a _ _ _ _ _ man that is a racist statement though not evil at all.

As far as Hispanics are concerned, nationally they are not as cohesive as Blacks. The Mexicans of Texas, the Puerto Ricans of New York and hte Cubans of Miami are three different groups...But the "racist mentality of America pushes them into one group.

Offline Brian Richardson

• Jus' Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 06:52:35 pm »
First off I think the Black "culture" needs to be defined past being "equal" to White. Also I think that the racial "conversation" would move forward in this country if Blacks admitted that they were racist too as EVERYONE in America is racist. NOTE: Racism does not equal evil.For instance if I say I want my daughter to marry a _ _ _ _ _ man that is a racist statement though not evil at all.

As far as Hispanics are concerned, nationally they are not as cohesive as Blacks. The Mexicans of Texas, the Puerto Ricans of New York and hte Cubans of Miami are three different groups...But the "racist mentality of America pushes them into one group.

But Blacks are not equal to whites.  I do not care what world you live in, Blacks have been second-class citizens.  I understand you may feel otherwise, and by God, I am glad for you, Brother, but the fact remains that there is institutional racism in this country.  I know that you may not see it.  Hell, in fact, I am -pleased- you do not see it.  Unfortunately, it remains.  As a black man, I am far past trying to be equal to Whites.  I feel I am just a human being, as are whites.  I do not think everyone in America is a racist.  I will say I am racial and do want the most for my brothers and sisters.  As, I am sure you do.  This is not racism.  It is equality.  I want skin color to never matter.

You feel the same, don't you?  Forget affirmative action.  Forget the media.  Forget the hype.  It is not the color of our skin, but rather who we are that determines where we should go!  But, as a Black man, I can assure you, that is not- how it is in this country yet.  Maybe in one generation.  Maybe in two?  Maybe when people quit saying, "What's 100 niggers at the bottom of the Ocean?" and answering "a Good start," we can say we're equal.  Unfortunately, that is not where we are today, my friend.  And, I say my friend in the most sincere of terms.  I do not think you are the "blue-eyed devil" as Malcolm put it.  I do not think you are even a racist.  All I know is that, as a Black man, I can assure you racism exists.

I hate affirmative action, I would never consider a Black man not guilty because he was Black, I would never ask the majority to subsidize me based on my pigmentation, but by God, I will never deny who and what I am and expect fair and equal representation!  Times are changing.  They have not changed enough, even if -you- have.  That is all I can and have to say.

Yours in Peace and Brotherhood,
Brian Richardson

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:18:12 pm »
One of the biggest failures of post-civil rights black leadership is coming to terms with where black people fit into a truly multi-racial America.  Almost all black thinking is still stuck on the black/white equation, ignoring the numerical clout of Hispanics/Latinos/phrase of your choice, the economic clout of the Asian community, and the shifting fortunes of the Native American community. 

Yes, Hispanics are not a block but very distinctive cultures...Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, as different as they are from each other, all share a genetic and culture heritage with black Americans.  But Mexicans, El Salvadorians and other Latin American immigrants got their own thing, each different from the other and very different than black folks. 

The sad thing is how crudely racist black folks can be to our fellow members of the "rainbow coalition", instead of building bridges.  Sure, immigrants are taught to hate black folks on arrival, but we don't even try to connect to other people of color. 

Black Americans still have a tremendous cultural dominance that no other people of color can match, and our century of assimilation gives us a rapidly eroding edge.  But as other groups express the clout at the ballot box and in the marketplace, black folks will fall even further behind. 

The white power structure rather deal with other ethnic groups that are pecieved to have a deeper work ethic and still believe they can assimilate into mainstream society, which blacks folks seemed have given up on. 

We have long ago lost our value as cheap labor;  liberal guilt seems to have dried up as well. One could imagine that one point of view might be:  On a ROI, is it better to educate the black underclass or just hire security to keep them away from you? 

Offline Brian Richardson

• Jus' Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:59:43 pm »
One of the biggest failures of post-civil rights black leadership is coming to terms with where black people fit into a truly multi-racial America.  Almost all black thinking is still stuck on the black/white equation, ignoring the numerical clout of Hispanics/Latinos/phrase of your choice, the economic clout of the Asian community, and the shifting fortunes of the Native American community. 

Yes, Hispanics are not a block but very distinctive cultures...Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, as different as they are from each other, all share a genetic and culture heritage with black Americans.  But Mexicans, El Salvadorians and other Latin American immigrants got their own thing, each different from the other and very different than black folks. 

The sad thing is how crudely racist black folks can be to our fellow members of the "rainbow coalition", instead of building bridges.  Sure, immigrants are taught to hate black folks on arrival, but we don't even try to connect to other people of color. 

Black Americans still have a tremendous cultural dominance that no other people of color can match, and our century of assimilation gives us a rapidly eroding edge.  But as other groups express the clout at the ballot box and in the marketplace, black folks will fall even further behind. 

The white power structure rather deal with other ethnic groups that are pecieved to have a deeper work ethic and still believe they can assimilate into mainstream society, which blacks folks seemed have given up on. 

We have long ago lost our value as cheap labor;  liberal guilt seems to have dried up as well. One could imagine that one point of view might be:  On a ROI, is it better to educate the black underclass or just hire security to keep them away from you? 

And here Reginald has summed it up better than could I.  I suppose that is why he is a published writer and I am not.  Thanks, Mr. Hudlin!  Still, the question remains, where do we, as a Black men and women remain?  Society is (at this rate) bound to pass us by (given -my- current circumstances as a Black man in West Texas [moving North as fast as you can say Wakanda!]).  As a young Black man, what can I do, or expect?  Cheap labor and and liberal guilt aside (as much as it hurts to put that in writing), what can WE do as young black Brothers and Sisters in a quickly eroding minority?

If we do not answer these questions now, we will be behind the curve.  If the time to assert ourselves is now, how do we assert ourselves?  OK, now, how do we assert ourselves within the cultural norms which we now face?  Aside from coming off as Pro-Black, what can or should we do in order to guarantee our rights in a rapidly depleting Black culture (keep in mind, this is from a brother in West Texas, where African Americans are a minority behind both whites and Hispanics).?

Mr. Hudlin, if you have answers, I am listening.  Because, at this point, aside from the institutional whites and LULAC (League of Latin American Citizens), African Americans have little voice in my community.

Please, give me an answer.  Is there a way to make our voice heard and if so, how?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 07:54:57 am »
First of all, save yourself. When a plane is going down, and the oxygen masks pop out, they instruct you to PUT ON YOUR OWN MASK FIRST, even before you put it on your child.  If you pass out, you can't help your child or your self. I think this is metaphorical to life.  Make sure your mind, heart and soul are together.  Make sure your business is straight.  Then you can help others. 

As bad as things are for black people as a whole, there is PLENTY of room for individual achievement.  It's everywhere.  A black man runs American Express.  A black woman is Secretary of State.   My Asian and Hispanic colleagues admire the success of black filmmakers in Hollywood.  You can go as far as you want to in life.  Never accept anything but the best from yourself and from the world. 

And don't let anyone guilt you that you are selling out by succeeding at your goal.  Selling out only means doing something you don't believe in.  There's a lot of people (of all races) who are scared of success. They will sabotage themselves and undermine you.  Leave them in the dirt and keep moving.

Success is on the horizon line;  meaning it can feel like you will never get there.  A few years ago I had a mild case of depression.  I was sleeping 13, 14 hours a day, really mopey.  Finally went back home to visit my family.  I was talking about my state with my Uncle Richard.  He asked me why I felt so depressed.

I told him I made a movie and it flopped;  shot a TV pilot and it didn't get picked up;  wrote a spec script and it didn't get bought;  went to Europe with my girlfriend and it wasn't the most fun time. 

He said back to me:  "So in one year, you did all that...and you're depressed?  You know, any one of those things can be someone's lifetime goal". 

he fixed me right then and there.  My perspective had gotten so skewed I didn't appreciate my life.  But ever since then, I appreciate everything. My positive mindset has led to greater success and even more happiness.
I still have the same drive, but I smell the flowers along the way.  Happiness is a choice.

I say all that to say, you may never feel like you've "made it".  Not only do I feel like I"m still struggling to make it; I talk to some of the most successful people in the world who say the same thing.  So you can't put off living or giving until after this mythical "I'm straight" point, because you will never get there.  However, giving will add to your joy, because it is better to give than receive. 

Helping comes in an infinite number of ways.  I believe most people on this board do something.  You can fight the power, save the children, reach out to our brothers and sisters of other races....all of these are worthwhile actions to make the world better.  Always remember one person can make a difference.  It would nice to have help, but a dedicated individual makes it happen with or without group consensus.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 08:13:11 am »
Brian,

EVERYONE in Europe is Nationalist, EVERYONE  in Africa is Tribulist and while I have no idea why tha Chinese and Japanese hate each other's guts EVERYONE in America is Racist. I believe that Race Relations in America froze in 1968 when Blacks claimed that they could NOT be racist, just as Whites were about to finally admit that they were Racist. Now we live in a nation where Race is the number one factor in 98.9% of EVERYTHING but no one admits to being racist.

Again saying that I am Racist (And I am) does NOT mean that I want to go out anf kill pregnant White women.

Also I MASSIVELY believe in Affirmative Action. I have seen too many unqualified "Father's-In-Law" get hired over qualified Blacks and Whites. Construction work is almost custom made for the stereotypical "physical" Black male...But here in Philly it can pay as much as $50 an hour...Guess what? Until 5 years ago in a city with a 50% Black population most construction sites had
NO Blacks working. What happened 5 years ago? A group of outright belligerent Blacks closed down construction sites, now at all construction sites WITHIN the city you'll see maybe 10% Black workers. (As soon as you cross that city line though...BAM right back to 1945)

Equal, Equality and all that nonsense. An ant is not EQUAL to a bee, yet they both very much serve their purpose for the planet Earth and if one tried to eliminate the other and succeeded then I assure you, and I'm talking literally here, if the ant or the bee goes it will be the end of us all.. If an identical twin spends his whole life trying to be EQUAL to his indentical twin...That is a wasted life.

Genesis 2:17

At the beginning of my life Whites loved to tell us that George Washington Carver invented peanut butter (Which actually he didn't) and then in the next breath tell us a White man invented the A-Bomb. I didn't have much respect for George Washington Carver. But then VERY recently I've come to have a deeper respect for GWC. His disdain for fashionable dress and his respect for nature.

Nature vs Technology (Life was more enjoyable with 3 channel TV), Earth vs Civilization (Global warming is a fact)...This is what I believe to be the true strength of the peoples of the Southern Hemisphere.

In a tip of the hat to this website and our host I believe that the Black Panther character is well positioned to articulate this philosophy.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 08:39:26 am »
This conversation is GREAT but also endless. I have a ticket to the Phillies baseball game and I GOT to be on time but two things i want to say before I leave.

1) As to the point that started this conversation on the "Hunting" thread:
http://www.al.com/forums/politics/index.ssf?initial=true

This forum is amazing racially and politically biased.

2) Let's go Phillies, LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 09:41:17 am »

This forum is amazing racially and politically biased.

If you mean "biased" you mean "has a point of view", yes.  But there are folks of many races who post here, and while we don't have a lot of right wingers, there are moderates and our dear Michaelimp, who doesn't post as much anymore but certainly held it down for a while as a TRUE compassionate conservative (no one who has ever met the man can deny his giant heart). 

As for race relations being frozen since 1968, uh, no.  One could say as black people we haven't had a coherent strategy since then, but race relations have evolved quite a bit.  Remember, "evolve" just means change, not necessarily improvement.  But terms of engagement on both sides has changed a great deal since then. 

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 09:44:59 am »

Actually that's pretty evil.

you should want your daughter to marry the man (or woman) who actually loves her and whom she loves.

"hispanic" is a lingual distinction, not an ethnic one. I believe it was coined by Richard Nixon.

There are white hispanics and non-white ones. It is just as muddy a term as the notion of Race is in the fist place.

Do NOT assume that things will improve for blacks with the increased latin population barreling up from the south. Take a long hard look at how the various southern nations treat their indigenous slave-descendant populations and then consider how much traction our traditional struggles would get in a country dominated by ex-members of those various groups.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:46:31 am by Redjack »
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 04:35:27 pm »
Rodney King, OJ Simpson (Phil Spector) and now (Attempted Murder) Jena 6. There is a powder keg in America just waiting to explode and the fact that people like the Brown Bomber ain't got nothing to do with it.

Shortly after 1865, the Reconstruction, Blacks were allowed to work with Whites in the Washington DC post office. About 60 years later with the stroke of a pen Woodrow Wilson put an end to this integration and re-segragated the Washington DC post office.

Let us see where things stand at the 60 year mark after the Voting Rights Act of 1964.

You know things are cool...as long as you laugh at hockey jokes.

PS: I see there are many conversations about music on this forum, the first album I ever brought in my life was the Monkees...Can't we all just get along. Strange, I know.

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 03:17:20 pm »

"I don't mind white folks."

LOL okeedokee...

when and if ever we all stop worrying about a person's color and using terms like minorities.. people of color.. white folks, red, yellow, black, brown.. and realize skin color pigmentation is just a product of evolution matching environmental necessities and NOT any indication of a persons honor. Then and only then will progress began.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 01:18:40 am »
Ya'know there is a deeper culture than just skin color.

Just what is the meaning of Soul?

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 12:53:41 pm »
It's truly amazing I have often said in in Ca (LA) the color of your skin doesn't matter as much as the color of your money. If you have plenty of green you can live anywhere here and drive anything. However recently my daughter just went to middle school and we were considering moving just for the school district I hated the neighbors. My god daughters (yes they are white) were looking so forward to her joing them. They joined the cheerleadering squad together (my child is the only one of color) and she has a great time. Anyway my point is one of the PARENTS stole my daughter's pompoms. I couldn't believe it.These are rich people (I'm not) to stoop so low. I found myself expressing to anyone in hearing distance that if they have any problems with my child come see me and of course come see me. We didn't move. She went to a private school, instead.
Prejudice is everywhere.
Hispanics stick together. 15 will move into 1 house until 4 can move out any BUY a house and so on and so on try that with some black people.
Thank You Reg, for sharing your story because you have no idea how much it related(s) to me.

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 01:07:18 pm »
"one of the PARENTS stole my daughter's pompoms."

OMG!! Cheiri, that is sooo pathetic!! Just proves my point: money, color of skin, social status, etc.. has nothing to do with a person's honor. Stealing a child's cheer leading pom-poms..? Unbelievable someone would stoop so low!

I hope your daughter does well at her new school. Tell her I'll send her a set of official NFL pom-poms so she can rattle them in those snoobs faces if she likes!! LOL.