Author Topic: D.C. Snipers on American Gangster?!  (Read 11453 times)

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
D.C. Snipers on American Gangster?!
« on: October 08, 2007, 03:09:29 pm »
Recently I glanced at BET's website and I noticed on an upcoming episode of "American Gangster" there's going to be a profile on The D.C. Snipers. Come on now! The D.C. Snipers?! They're not gangsters! That's a major waste of an episode. Why not do one on the Young Boys Inc. out of Detroit or Ghetto Godfather Harry-O. I'm still waiting for an episode devoted to Bumpy Johnson or Kings of Policy. D.C. Snipers?! What's next? O.J. Simpson?

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: D.C. Snipers on American Gangster?!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:14:57 pm »
If its true. I agree.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:30:37 pm »
We did Detroit last year. 

We're doing TEN episodes this year, 4 more than last, so there's plenty of gangsters for you to check out.

But the DC Sniper episode is INCREDIBLE.  Don't sleep....

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 07:34:12 pm »
serious question, because I've never seen the show.  What makes a "gangster?"

These guys strike me more as American cowards

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:20:09 pm »
They are not touching Harry-O. Harry-O is still feared and any retrospective on his life will have to include the formation of Death Row Records and Suge Knight. What producer is going to want to raise the ire of both Harry-O and Suge?

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:58:40 am »
They are not touching Harry-O. Harry-O is still feared and any retrospective on his life will have to include the formation of Death Row Records and Suge Knight. What producer is going to want to raise the ire of both Harry-O and Suge?

Well I visualized an episode on Harry-O done in a similar vein as "Welcome To Death Row", where they interviewed him and he gave a first hand account on his experiences and such. Of course, it would way different than "Welcome To Death Row" in terms of approach.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 08:15:52 am »

One could characterize all bullies that way.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:18:25 am »
I hear ya.  When I hear gangster I think of someone like Al Capone, or Gangsta as some lowlife hood.  I just wasn't sure if this show was delving into all criminals and such.

Then again, maybe I should just watch the show and see  :o

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 09:58:52 am »
re: Detroit- I definitely remember the infamous Chambers Brothers' home video when it became local news..
... Too bad White Boy Rick wouldn't qualify, he'd be a good story, too..
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070501212841AAwnbfV

I guess it makes sense to broaden the scope of subject matter, as not all infamous black convicts/ex-cons were mob figures..

I have to get the season one dvd.. did they cover Rich Porter, Alpo, & AZ yet?
The "Original" 50 Cent might make a good story, too..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:35:20 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 11:06:05 am »
... Too bad White Boy Rick wouldn't qualify, he'd be a good story, too..

What, he's not American or he's not a gangster?   ;)
Seriously, if he had impact and notoriety in the black community, maybe he could be on the list, depending on how many seasons AG lasts.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Jenn

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 09:12:49 pm »
But the DC Sniper episode is INCREDIBLE.  Don't sleep....

But they're not gangsters. American Psychos? Sure. But I watch this show for chips, cheddar, fly cars and fly honeys. This was just some creepy dude with his creepy boyfriend/son and a bad understanding of tarot. I'm telling you, once you profile the Atlanta Child Murders, I'm going to know you guys ran out of ideas.  :P

Then again, maybe I should just watch the show and see  :o

Gee, ya think?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:14:49 pm by Jenn »

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 02:10:03 pm »
As I said in the other thread I would love to see a piece on the Black Mafia Family. These guys ball like crazy. I wonder why the transport their product in luzury vehicles? Seem to me that would draw a lot of attention especially with a black man driving.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 06:21:37 am »
Recently I glanced at BET's website and I noticed on an upcoming episode of "American Gangster" there's going to be a profile on The D.C. Snipers. Come on now! The D.C. Snipers?! They're not gangsters! That's a major waste of an episode. Why not do one on the Young Boys Inc. out of Detroit or Ghetto Godfather Harry-O. I'm still waiting for an episode devoted to Bumpy Johnson or Kings of Policy. D.C. Snipers?! What's next? O.J. Simpson?

I agree the DC snipers were just two mentally disturbed serial killers. If the show were 'American killers' it would be different.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 09:21:39 am »
Hey Hype I agree Rich Porter, AZ and Alpo will be great candidates for A.G. these guys were yes drug dealers and killers but they were trendsetters that still impact on today's hip hop culture. Tell me who did not want a benz back in the day or a fat gold chain.

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 07:20:29 pm »

True indeed, this is Black Entertainment Television?  Glorifying gangsters?  The DC Snipers episode is.......incredible?  There's been a lot of fascination with Frank Lucas as of late, a cat who undid a lot of hard work brothers like Malcolm X and Clarence 13X did in Harlem who actually "took care of Harlem" and helped to clean up our brothers and sisters and showed them how to live a respectable way of life unlike Lucas who turned a lot into fiends and destroyed many lives.  Wonder how the families of the victims of these sick individuals (yes I know Lucas has done a 180 and that's peace) feel about this show.

I would like to see a BET show focusing on many black figures young brothers and sisters may not know of that they can learn a whole lot more from like Noble Drew Ali, Father Divine, Elijah Muhammad, Marcus Garvey, Clarence 13X and the Five Percent Nation.  Think we'll ever see it?

Like Hudlin stated on his website, he remembered when every black man knew the autobiography of Malcolm X was required reading.  So what happened, why the youth stuck on all these brothers that fell victim?  Can't just blame the youth for not researching when many of us in positions of power have failed in our jobs of teaching.

PEACE
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali