Author Topic: D.C. Snipers on American Gangster?!  (Read 16765 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: D.C. Snipers on American Gangster?!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 02:48:58 am »
Have you seen the series AMERICAN GANGSTER?

Have you seen the series EXALTED?

A lot of people complain about what BET needs to be doing without knowing we're doing it already.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 10:30:31 am »
True indeed, this is Black Entertainment Television?  Glorifying gangsters? 

Respectfully, TF7, as Reginald asked, have you seen American Gangster? If you have, can you speak about why you think it is glorifying gangsters? I don't see it that way at all.

If you haven't seen it, you really should check it out. AG is serving the truth - straight, no chaser.

The DC Snipers episode was incredible. I live in Prince George's County, Maryland and I learned stuff from this episode. It is hands down the most thorough and balanced coverage of the incidents that I have seen in any media. It captured quite well the feelings of living in that madness. I was most definitely aware of the situation around me whenever I stepped out of my car in public - stores, gas stations, dropping off at school, etc. All because of these ... I don't even know what to call them. Anyway, all of that was conveyed in the episode. No glorification, no easy answers, but a glimpse into the madness.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 02:12:49 pm »
the DC sniper was the weakest episode imo.

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 02:16:52 pm »
But the DC Sniper episode is INCREDIBLE.  Don't sleep....

But they're not gangsters. American Psychos? Sure. But I watch this show for chips, cheddar, fly cars and fly honeys. This was just some creepy dude with his creepy boyfriend/son and a bad understanding of tarot. I'm telling you, once you profile the Atlanta Child Murders, I'm going to know you guys ran out of ideas.  :P

agreed. I felt as though i was watching an episode of Most Evil or New Detectives. This guy was a serial killer who tried to distract attention from his real goal of killing his wife, by killing innocent folks.

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:33 pm »
Have you seen the series AMERICAN GANGSTER?

Have you seen the series EXALTED?

A lot of people complain about what BET needs to be doing without knowing we're doing it already.

American Gangster?  Yes

Exalted?  Have no idea what you're talking about

I don't really see it as complaining, it's not that serious to me, I just wish people would realize you can't please everybody, just wanted to stir the pot a lil

PEACE
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 04:51:15 pm »
True indeed, this is Black Entertainment Television?  Glorifying gangsters? 

Respectfully, TF7, as Reginald asked, have you seen American Gangster? If you have, can you speak about why you think it is glorifying gangsters? I don't see it that way at all.

If you haven't seen it, you really should check it out. AG is serving the truth - straight, no chaser.

The DC Snipers episode was incredible. I live in Prince George's County, Maryland and I learned stuff from this episode. It is hands down the most thorough and balanced coverage of the incidents that I have seen in any media. It captured quite well the feelings of living in that madness. I was most definitely aware of the situation around me whenever I stepped out of my car in public - stores, gas stations, dropping off at school, etc. All because of these ... I don't even know what to call them. Anyway, all of that was conveyed in the episode. No glorification, no easy answers, but a glimpse into the madness.

It's not really my thing fam, I checked the Tookie episode cause I respected him on a certain level and check the DC Snipers episode.  I just didn't get why they are gangsters.  America praises the criminal element and gangsters so I felt labeling them that was glorifying them.  I just think any type of coverage on most of these sellouts or sick individuals is a waste of could be quality product for better programs as I stated previously.  I know how many youth think fam, and they tell me fam, "Yo, u check the HOover episode, that's my g"  This cat is hard that cat was hard and all kinds of bullsh*t.  I just don't support giving many of these cats a spotlight you feel me?  Maybe glorifying was not the right word, and what you said about the Snipers episode may be on point I just know the youth will be into these shows for all the wrong reasons.  Entertainment doesn't keep the youth in mind at all, I understand this.  I don't expect them to care about the negative energy they put out there, sometimes it just gets frustrating knowing how certain elements in society make my job harder, but I'll continue to do my duty as a civilized being no matter what the costs.  Peace Metcalf, and mutha eff gangstas!  Were there any "American Gangsters" on some Drop Squad ish?   

PEACE

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:52 pm »

But they're not gangsters. American Psychos? Sure. But I watch this show for chips, cheddar, fly cars and fly honeys. This was just some creepy dude with his creepy boyfriend/son and a bad understanding of tarot. I'm telling you, once you profile the Atlanta Child Murders, I'm going to know you guys ran out of ideas.  :P

agreed. I felt as though i was watching an episode of Most Evil or New Detectives. This guy was a serial killer who tried to distract attention from his real goal of killing his wife, by killing innocent folks.

I can completely understand if this episode just doesn't appeal to you. As someone who lived through it, I can tell you that the episode is well done in that it really does capture the mood of the time.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 05:38:45 pm »
It's not really my thing fam, I checked the Tookie episode cause I respected him on a certain level and check the DC Snipers episode.  I just didn't get why they are gangsters.  America praises the criminal element and gangsters so I felt labeling them that was glorifying them.  I just think any type of coverage on most of these sellouts or sick individuals is a waste of could be quality product for better programs as I stated previously.  I know how many youth think fam, and they tell me fam, "Yo, u check the HOover episode, that's my g"  This cat is hard that cat was hard and all kinds of bullsh*t.  I just don't support giving many of these cats a spotlight you feel me?  Maybe glorifying was not the right word, and what you said about the Snipers episode may be on point I just know the youth will be into these shows for all the wrong reasons.  Entertainment doesn't keep the youth in mind at all, I understand this.  I don't expect them to care about the negative energy they put out there, sometimes it just gets frustrating knowing how certain elements in society make my job harder, but I'll continue to do my duty as a civilized being no matter what the costs.  Peace Metcalf, and mutha eff gangstas!  Were there any "American Gangsters" on some Drop Squad ish?   

I do feel you, TF. I think that taking the subjects head on and showing the whole thing -- impact on the victims and community, where the perpetrators end up (being a federal snitch in the case of Frank Lucas. Just out of curiousity, was that part in the movie?) -- is the way to go. Just the truth. I think we can trust our youth to draw their own conclusions. What choice do we really have?

On the other hand, I most definitely take your point that it can't be all gangstas all the time. We need balance. I do believe that is why Reginald mentioned Exalted.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 05:57:16 am »
I have not seen "Exalted", guilty as charged BUT I still feel that I am a typical American (As opposed to BLACK) television watcher.

I saw American Gangster a couple of weaks ago, the Frank Lucus story (Saw the Denzel flick yesterday, Denzel pulled it off!). Anyway I hesitated in posting a 'perspective'. My biggest memory which is a reality of television was the commercials, so many of them.

Then of course there was the story itself. Ya'know if not for the movie's publicity it would not of come across to me, from the show, that Frank Lucus was that big.

And while I'm on a roll let me mention the narrator, was there one? If there was, it was not with the combination that Paul Winfield brings to A&E network.

Me?, I'm a working class, paycheck to paycheck, never-been nobody: Your typical American television watcher.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:05 am »

True indeed. 

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 08:21:22 am »

I do feel you, TF. I think that taking the subjects head on and showing the whole thing -- impact on the victims and community, where the perpetrators end up (being a federal snitch in the case of Frank Lucas. Just out of curiousity, was that part in the movie?) -- is the way to go. Just the truth. I think we can trust our youth to draw their own conclusions. What choice do we really have?

On the other hand, I most definitely take your point that it can't be all gangstas all the time. We need balance. I do believe that is why Reginald mentioned Exalted.

Even though gangsters could never be appealing to me they are intriguing and informative, my initial post was just out of frustration.  Where can episodes of the series be watched on line, you have me curious about Exalted period.  I don't watch BET regualarly.  But when I hear something about an awards show or Hip Hop America I try to peep em though

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 02:33:10 pm »
Looking for ideas?

How about the Cato Conspiracy and Nat Turner. Heck even Harriet Tubman. What about the whole numbers racket, where several of the origins of (Now legal) numbers are based in Black America. Maybe even the movie "Birth Of A Nation", weren't Blacks the bad guys in that original (But banned in Boston) and GREAT (One of the first movies to use the close-up and fade, not to mention one of the first to run over an hour) landmark movies...A close examination of just who was picked to be a bad guy in that movie (The evil MULUTTO) could be revealing.

Just why was Tom Sawyer running away with an outlaw N199@, but that too was baned in Boston, there's a story. Heck if you really want to get personal there's always Tombstone Tank.

Some of the famous "outlaws of the 1870's-1930's" that White America so celebrates like Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and Baby Face Nelson were only creations of newspaper reporters who faced a slow day.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 02:56:58 pm »
Uno Mas...How could I forget, King Kong.

I still like the original to this day. I can vividly see King Kong smashing the Black jungle native flat into the ground...The fat momma runnin' for the baby, with them eyes. I remember those scenes, and others, far more than the last two King Kong movies, three if you count the adult flick on HBO at 3AM (Hey, I work nights!).

No re-make of King Kong can portray Negroes as they were portrayed in that flick from the 1930's. No re-make can ever capture a tenth of the popularity and profitability as that original King Kong and I feel a main reason is because of those (psuedo) Black Africans and the fact that King Kong was of them, the Africans.

American Gangster? Well he is fictional but then wasn't he one of the all time great "bad guys". Dracula was a bad guy, they do all kinds of shows on him from EVERY angle...Very profitable.

Offline TruthLies

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 08:58:25 am »
serious question, because I've never seen the show.  What makes a "gangster?"

These guys strike me more as American cowards

True indeed, this is Black Entertainment Television?  Glorifying gangsters?  The DC Snipers episode is.......incredible?  There's been a lot of fascination with Frank Lucas as of late, a cat who undid a lot of hard work brothers like Malcolm X and Clarence 13X did in Harlem who actually "took care of Harlem" and helped to clean up our brothers and sisters and showed them how to live a respectable way of life unlike Lucas who turned a lot into fiends and destroyed many lives.  Wonder how the families of the victims of these sick individuals (yes I know Lucas has done a 180 and that's peace) feel about this show.

I would like to see a BET show focusing on many black figures young brothers and sisters may not know of that they can learn a whole lot more from like Noble Drew Ali, Father Divine, Elijah Muhammad, Marcus Garvey, Clarence 13X and the Five Percent Nation.  Think we'll ever see it?

Like Hudlin stated on his website, he remembered when every black man knew the autobiography of Malcolm X was required reading.  So what happened, why the youth stuck on all these brothers that fell victim?  Can't just blame the youth for not researching when many of us in positions of power have failed in our jobs of teaching.
PEACE

Everything you have in bold is on point.