Author Topic: Quote of the Week  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Quote of the Week
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:59:43 pm »
I was teaching idioms the other day.  The class was discussing appearances and stuff when phrases like "a wolf in sheep's clothing" and "a fashion victim" came up.  Fortunately, the last one to be defined was "a bit of a tart".  As usual, I elicited responses from the students as to what that could possibly mean.  One young man suggested that it might refer to a woman since "tart" = pie.  I agreed, then went on to explain that we sometimes refer to an immodest woman in this way. 
Everyone was diligently writing down their interpretation of my comments when my star student piped in, "Ohhhhh.  I get it!  You mean a crack-ho!"

Background for the newbies: I teach English to young Chinese professionals.  My star student is an aspiring attorney.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Quote of the Week
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 12:19:18 am »
Last week and the week before, I was Shanghai working with the Egyptian delegation of the Special Olympics World Sumer Games.  Was chillin' with other staff when a real perky Chinese young lady plops down next to me to discuss the Closing Ceremony and after-party logistics.  We were about to finish our business and decided to exchange phone numbers for any follow-ups that might be required when I learned her name is Percy.  Now, I've met Chinese men named Helen, Windy, Bunny and Joyce.....and about a month ago I met a beautiful gallery curator who called herself Alfred.  I always ask why these people choose these special names for themselves and I usually get an answer detailing that the name refers to a famous author or character in a novel.  (ie, Alfred admired Hitchcock, etc.).

Percy is my favorite to date.  She explained very matter-of-factly that she wanted a soft and sweet name that reflects her gentle personality.....so she chose Percy because it sounds like........Pussy.

One of my colleagues laughed so hard he farted.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:21:04 pm »
Actually if someone walked around calling themselves pussy how would that work out? Think of all the possibilities?

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 05:41:50 pm »
I was teaching idioms the other day.  The class was discussing appearances and stuff when phrases like "a wolf in sheep's clothing" and "a fashion victim" came up.  Fortunately, the last one to be defined was "a bit of a tart".  As usual, I elicited responses from the students as to what that could possibly mean.  One young man suggested that it might refer to a woman since "tart" = pie.  I agreed, then went on to explain that we sometimes refer to an immodest woman in this way. 
Everyone was diligently writing down their interpretation of my comments when my star student piped in, "Ohhhhh.  I get it!  You mean a crack-ho!"

Background for the newbies: I teach English to young Chinese professionals.  My star student is an aspiring attorney.

I cracked up after I read this one and the Percy/Pussy thing. Ididn't even know that you worked the kinds of events that put you in contact with international delegations and Special Olympic Games types.Are they hiring up your way? Sounds fun.Get at me...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:37:30 pm »

In L.A. alot of the crack-ho work the Fiqueroa stroll one of my favorite pictures of a crack ho' standing on top a telephone booth butt naked with all the cops staring at her trying to determine how to get her down. And she's in total model stance. ::)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:39:09 pm »
Ididn't even know that you worked the kinds of events that put you in contact with international delegations and Special Olympic Games types.Are they hiring up your way? Sounds fun.Get at me...

Yes. Special Olympics is looking for new talent.

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:35 am »
My college-roommate’s-cousin’s-best-friend-from-Alton’s-brother-from-LA who’s staying at my flat (for the past 19 days) after consuming 25 Euros of Skype credit on one phone call to some chick in Djibouti: “What?”

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 01:15:37 pm »
My college-roommate’s-cousin’s-best-friend-from-Alton’s-brother-from-LA who’s staying at my flat (for the past 19 days) after consuming 25 Euros of Skype credit on one phone call to some chick in Djibouti: “What?”

heh.  Booty is in djibouti. heh...  :)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:12:12 pm »

So where's he staying now?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 11:45:36 am »
He was scheduled to depart tomorrow, but just announced to me that he's extended his stay until the end of the month! :-\

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 12:07:06 pm »
I figured you threw his ass out after the Djibouti affair. Is he offering to pay some expenses or something?
I know, silly question. Never mind...
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:32:13 am »
wow, your job sounds very interesting Magic..the opportunity to teach and travel is just awesome!

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 12:59:41 am »

wow, your job sounds very interesting Magic..the opportunity to teach and travel is just awesome!

It's an adventure at every turn!
We have a quite a cast of eclectic characters here at the HEF.

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »
As insane as we are, we could host our own dramedy. Magic Wand with the guest who has overstayed his welcome. Bro. Wilson and his planned assault on Fed Ex. The thousands of people picketing Reggie's house protesting against BET... and yet secretly have Hell Date downloaded onto their cell phones.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 05:17:09 am »
A bunch of us took advantage of the wintry conditions that are aggravating travelers and hit the slopes today.  It was a PERFECT day for skiing.  At dinner, a friend visiting from the Philippines was struggling with her chopsticks when she dropped a dumpling on the kind'a yucky table.  Seemingly relieved, she picked the dumpling up with her fingers and popped the contaminated thing into her mouth. I grimaced and yelled, "three second rule!" and she yelled back (with her now gooey hand held high)
"It's five minutes in my country!"

Care to comment, OP?

Доверяй, но проверяй